Extended Nissan Factory Warrantee Demystified

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

electricfuture

This is from the Santa Rosa Nissan Dealership today 6/20/2011. I think this will help you make an extended warrantee decision. Note that they provide an authentic Nissan Factory warrantee that can be used at any dealership. If your dealership won’t honor it there is a number to call Nissan to report them to get them straightened out.:

Jesse: Hi, I'm Jesse. How can I assist you today?

electricfuture: I have a Leaf and an looking to purchase the 6 year, 100,000 mile Gold Preferred Plan. What is the advantage for the 1st 3 years of ownership over the Nissan Factory warrantee that comes with the vehicle? Am I better of waiting until after the 3 years and paying the $75 premium?

Jesse: There really isn't an advantage other than the fact that the price will be higher, the longer you wait. Nissan raises the pricing a couple times per year. Typically the price raises about $65 - $160 per year, depending on plan and options

electricfuture: I have a quote already for $811 is it still valid?

Jesse: The price is valid until roughly October.

electricfuture: What does the "Gold" plan cover that the original factory warrantee does not? In other words why buy this?

Jesse: As far as why buy it now, the only reason would be it's cheaper now than later, beyond that the coverage is pretty much the same. The plans basically cover the same items, the only thing that's included beyond the factory warranty is roadside assistance and towing.

electricfuture: So I have AAA - thus no advantage? I understood that the electronics would be covered further than the factory warrantee - correct?

Jesse: Not really. The Gold Preferred plan is essentially the same as the factory warranty as far as component coverage ect. The electronics are covered under both.

electricfuture: So all I am doing is extending the existing warrantee 3 years?

Jesse: Yes, you would be extending it three years if you bought the 6yr / 100,000 mile plan.

Jesse: All of Nissan's plans start on the date the vehicle was first sold new and with zero miles, so when looking at terms and mileages you essentially have to subtract three years from them.

electricfuture: O.K. Got it. Thank you for your honesty. I'll evaluate my situation.

Jesse: Sure, and like I said the only real advantage to buying it now is the cost is lower, and you don't have to pay the $75 or the inspection fee that you would have to do at a later time.

If you haven’t seen Santa Rosa’s rates before here they are:
1. LEAF Gold Preferred 36 Month 45,000 Mile Coverage: $280.00
2. LEAF Gold Preferred 39 Month 49,000 Mile Coverage: $296.00
3. LEAF Gold Preferred 42 Month 53,000 Mile Coverage: $325.00
4. LEAF Gold Preferred 48 Month 48,000 Mile Coverage: $328.00
5. LEAF Gold Preferred 36 Month 60,000 Mile Coverage: $359.00
6. LEAF Gold Preferred 48 Month 60,000 Mile Coverage: $535.00
7. LEAF Gold Preferred 60 Month 60,000 Mile Coverage: $557.00
8. LEAF Gold Preferred 60 Month 75,000 Mile Coverage: $577.00
9. LEAF Gold Preferred 72 Month 75,000 Mile Coverage: $694.00
10. LEAF Gold Preferred 60 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $737.00
11. LEAF Gold Preferred 84 Month 70,000 Mile Coverage: $804.00
12. LEAF Gold Preferred 72 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $811.00
13. LEAF Gold Preferred 84 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $1,058.00
14. LEAF Gold Preferred 96 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $1,106.00

Are Santa Rosa's rates the lowest?

Its not a bad deal for some peace of mind.. lots of things to go bad in modern cars.. understandable there is no coverage on the battery, its a wear item.

I bought the extended warranty for my Prius in 2004. I've claimed on it once for a water pump, but it still would have been cheaper not to buy it. I won't be buying it for my Leaf.

Nate

My dealership quoted me $1500 for the 60 months 60K plan (only listed for $557 above), and they told me that's the special pricing at their cost for the cheaper plan but they'll upgrade me for free on the gold plan. Go figure who the honest one is...

As for what the difference is between the factory 3 years 36K warranty and the extended warranty, my dealership told me it's a big difference because the factory included warranty is very minimal and the extended warranty is very comprehensive in coverage of the components. I asked the finance manager to explain in more details what that means and she just said "Oh, because it's a new type of car (being electric), there's so many unknowns to deal with so you want to get the best warranty". Not exactly answered my question and changed the subject here.

My dealer (gladstone nissan) offered the 84mo 100K warranty at $2.5K (compared to $1,058 at Santa Rosa). I didn't go for it. Interesting to see there are other options and other prices. At the cheaper price I might be more interested just for peace of mind, but is that even worth it? I'm curious to know how the different dealers come up with different prices; throw darts at a dart board? :lol:

My dealer, and one in FL that advertises online, told me that the Santa Rosa Nissan prices are below their dealer cost. They originally sold me one by a different insurer for over twice these prices. Fortunately, they willingly refunded my $.

rickbecker said:
My dealer, and one in FL that advertises online, told me that the Santa Rosa Nissan prices are below their dealer cost. They originally sold me one by a different insurer for over twice these prices. Fortunately, they willingly refunded my $.
Not normally endorsing these kinds of service contracts, we DID buy one for our '04 Prius. It paid for itself MORE than TWO times over. When 1st run production models come out (especially like the Gen II {or III for that matter} Prius) that have lots of new junk in them, there's a higher probability that things WILL go wrong. We had our multi function display (MFD) go bad ... we had a hub stud go bad ... we had an ECU go bad ... a rear windo controller go bad, and maybe one other thing too. Still, the contracts are a crap shoot. Less so for new technology. Now we have a Leaf, that has lots of new technology. BUT ... buying a contract when the car is still new?!? STUPID (imo) ... because you don't HAVE to get one until the existing warranty is about to run out ... and that's YEARS down the road. You don't HAVE to get one until the original warrany mileage requirements are about to run out. In the mean time, you have YEARS to search around for a good price. We've already gotten a quote in he $900's ... so that's just something to think about. Everyone's needs are different. But NO one's needs (relating to extended warranties) are immediate.
Happy Shopping!
;)

I want to thank those who have posted info and pricing details on these extended warranties. Not only has it got me thinking about actually BUYING an extended warranty for the Leaf (where I probably would have dismissed it out of hand), but I now know I don't HAVE to buy it when+where I get my car. If I don't get an "joy" from my dealer at time of purchase, I will probably get it online before the year is out.

My dealership gave me the impression that the option to buy the Nissan extended warranty is only available when the car is new, not when we're 36 months into having the factory warranty expiring. But then they've not been very honest and they were pushing hard to sell it, so I don't know what they say is true and what's not anymore.

Herm said:
I wonder if you can buy the warranty from Santa Rosa even if you are out of State?

Yes: this is specifically mentioned in the FAQ they send you (when you request a quote) and provides a "fall back" for those of us who don't get any "joy" from our local dealer. Isn't the internet wonderful?

I was quoted 1500 from my dealer and bought from Santa Rosa for less than half of that.. I live in Washington State. There are a lot of dealers who give misinformation with the warranty-- that you have to get it from them at the time of purchase, that it is "better" than the factory warranty (it isn't better--just longer). I wouldn't have gotten one at all if not for the reasonable prices available at SRN

It's my understanding that I'd you purchase the extended warranty later, you have to get the car inspected. Does that mean to get the Santa rosa price, you have to get the inspection done there too?

well beyond Priuses, i have pretty limited experience with new cars (1990 F-150 and 1982 Datsun 280 ZX) but have never gotten the extended warranty and have never regretted that decision.

but if you must, have to agree with Hill that getting it now seems like a bad idea. i would wait for 30 months and then make the evaluation based on personal experiences related here and elsewhere

The only extended warranty I ever bought was for my 1990 Ford Ranger pickup. They were having a special and it cost me a whopping $525 for 8 years or 100,000 miles. Boy did that one pay off! They covered some $3,500 worth of repairs over the extended warranty period. I sold it shortly after the warranty expired.

DaveinOlyWA said:
well beyond Priuses, i have pretty limited experience with new cars (1990 F-150 and 1982 Datsun 280 ZX) but have never gotten the extended warranty and have never regretted that decision.

hill said:
rickbecker said:
Not normally endorsing these kinds of service contracts, we DID buy one for our '04 Prius. It paid for itself MORE than TWO times over. When 1st run production models come out (especially like the Gen II {or III for that matter} Prius) that have lots of new junk in them, there's a higher probability that things WILL go wrong. We had our multi function display (MFD) go bad ... we had a hub stud go bad ... we had an ECU go bad ... a rear windo controller go bad, and maybe one other thing too. Still, the contracts are a crap shoot. Less so for new technology. Now we have a Leaf, that has lots of new technology. BUT ... buying a contract when the car is still new?!? STUPID (imo) ... because you don't HAVE to get one until the existing warranty is about to run out ... and that's YEARS down the road. You don't HAVE to get one until the original warrany mileage requirements are about to run out. In the mean time, you have YEARS to search around for a good price. We've already gotten a quote in he $900's ... so that's just something to think about. Everyone's needs are different. But NO one's needs (relating to extended warranties) are immediate.
Happy Shopping!
;)

Hill - did any of those items you mention go wrong after the factory warranty was up? I'm of the belief that most items related to "first time" show up in the first few years while the car is under full warranty. I can't see paying for an extended warranty. I never have and I have never needed one. I still make the finance guy feel good by requesting a quote, and offering to think about it. His/her job is to get money back into the car deal so I never buy anything extra in that room. Get prices, evaluate, and if you want it - get it a few weeks/months later.

SteveInSeattle, how did you go about buying it from Santa Rosa Nissan? I also thought these plans went with the dealer, not the car. (Is this a "Nissan" plan?) Who are you planning on having service the car under the extended warranty?

The only time I have every used an extended warranty on a car was when a hinge broke on the passenger door of our VW Bug and fell off. It was also the only car I have ever purchased an extended warranty on. :)

Your dealer will tell you all sorts of BS about how "the price is less than what we pay" and "it is not a factory warranty", all BS. It is a certified Nissan plan. They have to honor it. Finance managers love to try and freak people out about warranties.
Below is the email that they sent me.
Good luck. Aloha

Here is the pricing for the Security+Plus plans you were looking at. All pricing included in this email assumes the vehicle has less than 12,000 miles and includes a $50 deductible. To receive pricing for a $0 deductible plan please log into the site using the user name and password provided. Also, all plans qualify for Nissan's 0% APR payment plan. It's simple, put 10% down and Nissan will bill the remaining balence over 17 months, interest free.

You can also login to Store Access for more information and to purchase the plan. Once we receive your order we will send you the applicable paperwork.

Buy Now
Or purchase over the phone by calling: 800-558-6403

For Security+Plus plans there is an additional fee of $75 for vehicles that have more then 12,000 miles.

For QualityGuard+Plus plans the mileage is determined differently. You'll want to login into the site to find the pricing for these plans.
Quote:

Buy Now

1. LEAF Gold Preferred 36 Month 45,000 Mile Coverage: $287.00
2. LEAF Gold Preferred 39 Month 49,000 Mile Coverage: $303.00
3. LEAF Gold Preferred 42 Month 53,000 Mile Coverage: $333.00
4. LEAF Gold Preferred 48 Month 48,000 Mile Coverage: $336.00
5. LEAF Gold Preferred 36 Month 60,000 Mile Coverage: $368.00
6. LEAF Gold Preferred 48 Month 60,000 Mile Coverage: $548.00
7. LEAF Gold Preferred 60 Month 60,000 Mile Coverage: $571.00
8. LEAF Gold Preferred 60 Month 75,000 Mile Coverage: $591.00
9. LEAF Gold Preferred 72 Month 75,000 Mile Coverage: $711.00
10. LEAF Gold Preferred 60 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $755.00
11. LEAF Gold Preferred 84 Month 70,000 Mile Coverage: $824.00
12. LEAF Gold Preferred 72 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $831.00
13. LEAF Gold Preferred 84 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $1,084.00
14. LEAF Gold Preferred 96 Month 100,000 Mile Coverage: $1,134.00

Buy Now

Buy Now

You can also contact us at 800-558-6403.

Thanks for giving us an oppertunity to earn your business.

Sincerely,

E-Commerce Department
Nissan of Santa Rosa
1275 Santa Rosa Ave.
Santa Rosa, CA 95404

Thank you for your business.

This thread is very informative. I just ordered the 84 month, 70K miles extended warranty from Santa Rosa Nissan. I think their quote is honest compared with some other dealerships and it seems reasonable to have some additional coverage beyond the factory warranty with a unique, new car such as the Leaf. I believe the overall mileage will be low and the time of the contract is more important to me. It's complete speculation, but I bet the unique parts to the Leaf will be expensive since there will be very few of them relatively speaking. I also suspect that if EVs evolve, they will not be the Leaf. I am still not sure if these vehicles will take off due to their limitations in cold weather and mileage.

Back