Expert Leaf needed

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gadyamit

I'm located in Israel, where local Nissan dealer sold only 6 Leafs in the past year. And Leaf is the only Electric car sole in Israel after Aggasi...

The leaf cost seems to be the problem and the price is high despite the ONLY 25% tax compare to over 100% for ICE cars.

So, since I'm Leaf advocate I decided to BUY a used Leaf from the US, this car is currently parked in NJ waiting for Transportation Authorities in Israel to please say YES for my request to import the car.

Look lie the only issue is the code, the UK Leaf (that actually imported to Israel) does have different code compare to the US made.

I'm sure that if the car in terms of charging, safety and parts are the same I'll get the OK to import the car.
I also know that people from Europe do import cars from the US especially to Norway with NO real issue except Navigation or FM radio.

I know Nissan will NOT help I did try that, so I need expert to say (if it is TURE) that yes the cars are the same. All parts charging etc.
Anyone know some expert that can help?

Thanks
Gad

A US leaf is supplied with a 120V L1 EVSE. A European Leaf is supplied with a 220V EVSE. You could get ingineer to convert your EVSE but as it stands it will only work on 120V.

As you know (I wrote about that) people import Leafs to Europe, as much as I know the L2 level charging work fine with No change!!!
I think I was told that Level 1 charging is NOT a real issue if you have 220 Volt anywhere which is L2
Gad

Code wise, I would expect the US LEAF to be validated to US specific codes, whereas the UK LEAF is validated to EU specific codes, which Israel is presumably party to.

For the electronics themselves, I would expect both to be identical or close to identical to the Japanese LEAF, Nissan is not likely to have made any localization there at all. Thats not Nissan's modus operandi. The problem is how to demonstrate that the electrics are in indeed EU compliant.

Agassi basically declared EV war on the car dealers, Israel has no native car company, so their car industry is the car dealers. Expect no gratitude from the auto industry in Israel.

I see new Fluence ZE is selling quite competitively in Korea. http://ev-sales.blogspot.com.au/search/label/South%20Korea

The key to my success is the ability to find article or someone (currently not with Nissan) that can actually highlight if it is the same car!

From the link below you can see what was the plan... you can assume that it is just issue of code or model name right?
http://insideevs.com/euro-spec-nissan-leaf-gets-over-100-tweaks-range-increased-and-price-dropped/

Gad

How did this story end?

The difference between Leafs from US and Leafs from Eu, is that Leaf in the US, has north american type approval, and Leafs in Eu has European type approval. There are diffent frequences on radio equipment. US cars use 315 Mhz for tpms and remote for garage etc, and eu cars use 433Mhz. There are a lot of small differences. Some european spare parts, like the windscreen are not fitting on the US cars.

In many contries, both cars with european approval and cars with US type approval are accepted and you can register them. If you find any local club for american cars, i guess they have all the information you need for imprting the car.

Back