expected battery longevity for 2012 Leaf SL with 20K miles?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for chiming in.

I should give a little more info on my driving habits and what I need for the car I'm looking to purchase.

I average about 4,000 miles driven per year, or about 11 miles a day. I very rarely travel more than 25 miles in a single day, so it seems even with significant capacity loss (6+ bars) my needs would still be met. I do need to have the A/C on a lot in the summer so please keep that in mind.

Also, for that reason I have been focusing on MY 2012 as I read that in MY 2013 Nissan changed the heat pump which resulted in more efficient heating but less efficient A/C. Is this correct? Since I live in Southern Arizona, the A/C efficiency is much more important than heating efficiency.

One more thing: I own a carport that is covered but does have exposure to the sun for maybe 3 hours a day in the summer months (4-7 p.m.). I understand that leaving batteries in the sun/heat is very bad for them. I could potentially enclose the carport and make it into a garage (or put up solar shades -- very common around here) to protect the batteries.

Evoforce said:
If the car has 10 bars you will likely qualify for a brand new battery before the waranty expiration depending on when the cars in service date was. So if you want a car thats likely to get a brand new battery for free this may be the car for you. I had purchased a 2011 vehicle on 2/28/15 that was a 10 bar car and by Thanksgiving at the end of November it qualified for a new battery at 8 bars. PM me if you want to discuss this more. Contrary to what others have said you may have a like new car in less than a year when qualifying for a new battery for free. But expect that new battery to be degraded back down to 8 bars again by 3 - 3.5 years. At 8 bars expect that the car can only do a little over 40 miles at 45 miles per hour max.
Good points! Somehow I forgot about the above. :? (smacks self) I agree that if the an '11 or '12 or very early '13 is pretty degraded to begin with and it gets the Arizona summer heat treatment, it might be able to be down to 8 capacity bars by 5 years/60K miles from original in service date and thus qualify for free replacement.
evme said:
Also, for that reason I have been focusing on MY 2012 as I read that in MY 2013 Nissan changed the heat pump which resulted in more efficient heating but less efficient A/C. Is this correct?
Yes, for '13+ SV and SL. '13+ S has no hybrid heat pump heater.
evme said:
One more thing: I own a carport that is covered but does have exposure to the sun for maybe 3 hours a day in the summer months (4-7 p.m.). I understand that leaving batteries in the sun/heat is very bad for them. I could potentially enclose the carport and make it into a garage (or put up solar shades -- very common around here) to protect the batteries.
The big problem at least for Phoenix (can't say about Tuscon) is just the crazy high ambient temps. Even if you shade it, unless the garage is air conditioned and kept MUCH lower (e.g. kept at say 70 to 75 F or even lower... down to freezing or lower would be even better) than the crazy AZ temps, it will still degrade badly.

I'd only count on a new battery if you can find a Leaf with nine (or virtually nine, meaning the tenth is about to vanish) bars. Remember that the warranty in question is up after 60k miles OR 5 years, whichever comes first. So while a 2012 might have time to degrade enough, a 2011 might not. As for the heat pump on the 2013, I think that the better battery pack more than makes up for the slight loss of A/C efficiency. If the car is dark-colored, the solar shades would be a good idea.

evme said:
Thanks everyone for chiming in.

I should give a little more info on my driving habits and what I need for the car I'm looking to purchase.

I average about 4,000 miles driven per year, or about 11 miles a day. I very rarely travel more than 25 miles in a single day, so it seems even with significant capacity loss (6+ bars) my needs would still be met. I do need to have the A/C on a lot in the summer so please keep that in mind.

Also, for that reason I have been focusing on MY 2012 as I read that in MY 2013 Nissan changed the heat pump which resulted in more efficient heating but less efficient A/C. Is this correct? Since I live in Southern Arizona, the A/C efficiency is much more important than heating efficiency.

Hi - a few other thoughts from my side:

- good point about your parking spots, Yes, I would try to add that shading capability to account for the 3 hours in the summer. A point was made about ambient heat (regardless of sun) and this point was also valid. Typically I found that my Tucson-area Leaf would gain a bar or two in the battery temperature gauge during the summer, as a baseline, and then during particularly hot days go higher than that, but even when parked at night and cooling down in a garage, it would spend most of the summer (I think it was about 7 bars during the summer, maybe 5 during the winter?). Anyway, yes, a good idea to keep the sun off the car during those hours. Also, if you're doing that little driving per day, then it is plausible that you could simply charge at 120 Volts every day without having to worry about installing an L2. I was never sure if charging at L2 really affected battery life that much. I did some of both.

- Your scoping seems sound to make yourself aware generally speaking that buying an older 2011-2012 Leaf in the hotter climates is something that should be done with caution (although I'm told sometimes the used cars can be shifted to different parts of the country)

- I wasn't aware that the heat pump was less efficient for the A/C in 2013 and beyond, but in my 2012 SL, I found in driving in Tucson area that definitely the inefficiency of the heater was a problem (the A/C indeed was relatively efficient and generally I did not hesitate to use it on shorter trips). Later in driving the car, it was pointed out to me that the heated seats (I don't know if they are on all models) turned out to be quite a good compromise ... up to that point, the inefficiency of the heater and the coldness of some of the winter nights did add up to some unpleasant unheated rides.

- I sort of like the suggestion of getting a 2012 instead of a 2011 to have a better shot at a new battery under warranty. However, there's no guarantee. You may well end up stuck with a car in a few years that is worth only $1k-$2k and is at 7 or 8 bars. You should just be aware of that.

- I went out of my way to get an SL largely because of the CHAdeMO port, and I personally liked that.

- be aware that you want to leave a buffer when you drive so you don't h ave to white-knuckle it to and from the next charge. I was always very careful about this (never stranded due to battery, once needed a tow due to a flat tire), but it's something to take into account. Be aware that the # of miles when the battery is full at 100% is an estimate that takes into account how the car was recently driven as well as reflecting the capacity of the battery.

- with all that said, although I do think you are right to do this scoping work and get various information points and advice, including different points of view, at the end of the day I got some advice cumulatively over time that helped me a bit to enjoy my Leaf a bit more, when I had it, and it was roughly that it isn't really a fragile thing, they put a lot of thought into designing it to stand up to a certain amount of consumer handling, and that it's ok to just go ahead and drive it and enjoy it and not fret over-much about all of the little things, and occasionally to fracture some of the advice that they originally came out with (although I tended to follow it for all 39 months of the lease, such as charging only to 80 as much as possible).

On price, it appears they can be had used under $7k at this point in some areas:

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?mkId=20077&mdId=35968&stkTypId=28881&sf1Nm=price&sf1Dir=ASC&sf2Nm=miles&sf2Dir=ASC&prMn=0&prMx=20000&kwm=ANY&page=1&perPage=50&zc=85648&rd=100000&searchSource=GN_BREADCRUMB

I personally would be careful to take this particular geographic area into account in trying to understand whether you are being offered a good deal for the money. (i.e.: a used Leaf for sale in Tucson or Phoenix is something that, to me, is something I would be a bit more wary of than a used Leaf in a colder or more temperate environment). I wouldn't know how to verify where a used Leaf actually spent its prior years. Perhaps Carfax and run the VIN.

I did find the Tucson dealer I worked with to be professional, but generally I think perhaps a bit typical in terms of dealer pricing on used vehicles. That is, I would not be likely to buy a used vehicle from them, only because of the pricing.

If you do a bit of networking and are willing to have a bit of an adventure, you can perhaps get a line on a well-priced used Leaf either through private channels or perhaps in Phoenix. However, Phoenix is a temptation that maybe should be avoided since, if the vehicle really spent all its time there, then there is an increased risk the battery really will be in even rougher shape. Of course, if you decide you want to take the risk of gaming the battery warranty calculation, or if you don't care that much, then it's ok, I'm just saying. I have personally told people over the years, as it became apparent that Arizona climate was harsh on pre-Lizard Leaf batteries, that I would avoid or be careful about buying a used early Leaf that I knew or suspected was used in Arizona unless there was some angle, such as the price being very (very) low or the driving distance needs being very low (mine are the opposite of yours, the Leaf was always inadequate for my needs, and my next PEV will possibly be a low-priced used PHEV).

To the side I'd say that I'm working on a hypothesis that a low-priced used Arizona Leaf or other BEV with severly limited range might be a good compromise for a teenager situation where they need to be encouraged to drive very moderately and carefully for short distance trips.

In the end, please just be careful to know what you are getting into if you buy a 2011-2012 Leaf that has spent its formative years in Arizona. Particularly if you do get one that is verified to have spent the time in Phoenix (which is indeed a bit hotter than some other areas) you run the risk of getting one that really has a battery that is in rough shape. I would be careful and think through the different battery warranty what-if scenarios. Indeed, your driving habits do sound perfect for a used Leaf, even one that has spent its early years in Arizona, so it's just a matter of taking the calculated risk once you've found one that seems about the right price.

PS:

If you want, it's possible the Tucson EV association could lend you their OBDII gauge (one of Greg Hansen's, I donated it to TEVA.... it has the advantage of being hard-wired so there is no cell phone or wifi setup necessary) and this would allow you to take some quick readings on aH and such if you're going to see a nearby Leaf and want to know more about the battery than the number of bars).

PPS: as mentioned, I've always found this link generally helpful, in terms of overall perspective on number of bars, year of car, miles, aH expectations and location:

http://www.pluginamerica.org/surveys/batteries/leaf/vehicles.php?order=bars

jlsoaz said:
I wouldn't know how to verify where a used Leaf actually spent its prior years. Perhaps Carfax and run the VIN.
I don't have the printouts for my own car in front of me but Carfax and Autocheck will give a decent idea of the above. See samples below.
http://www.carfax.com/phoenix/vehicle_history/SampleReport.cfx?reportName=oneOwnerCleanLateModel
http://www.autocheck.com/vehiclehistory/autocheck/en/sampleautocheckvehiclehistoryreport

cwerdna said:
jlsoaz said:
I wouldn't know how to verify where a used Leaf actually spent its prior years. Perhaps Carfax and run the VIN.
I don't have the printouts for my own car in front of me but Carfax and Autocheck will give a decent idea of the above. See samples below.
http://www.carfax.com/phoenix/vehicle_history/SampleReport.cfx?reportName=oneOwnerCleanLateModel
http://www.autocheck.com/vehiclehistory/autocheck/en/sampleautocheckvehiclehistoryreport

Ok, thanks for the answer on that.

jlsoaz said:
I sort of like the suggestion of getting a 2012 instead of a 2011 to have a better shot at a new battery under warranty. However, there's no guarantee. You may well end up stuck with a car in a few years that is worth only $1k-$2k and is at 7 or 8 bars. You should just be aware of that.

Wow, you really think the value of a used Leaf would fall that low? Seems the frame and other parts, if in good working order, would keep a higher value than that, but perhaps I am deluding myself.

Also, I wanted to ask, does anyone know yet if the new "lizard" battery packs are performing better (e.g. less capacity loss) in hot climates like Phoenix/Tucson?

evme said:
jlsoaz said:
I sort of like the suggestion of getting a 2012 instead of a 2011 to have a better shot at a new battery under warranty. However, there's no guarantee. You may well end up stuck with a car in a few years that is worth only $1k-$2k and is at 7 or 8 bars. You should just be aware of that.

Wow, you really think the value of a used Leaf would fall that low? Seems the frame and other parts, if in good working order, would keep a higher value than that, but perhaps I am deluding myself.

It's hard to say, and my estimate is probably too low, but if a 7 or 8 bar Leaf can only get a short highway distance or maybe 20-40 city miles (wild guess on my part, I don't actually know) before a strong range concern starts to set in.... so if, in effect, the vehicle is not usable by most potential buyers (perhaps one exception might be as a car for a beginner driver?) then I am factoring in the expected cost of a battery replacement. Including this or that, the cost is somewhere in the $6k-$7k neighborhood, meaning the buyer will need to budget something on the order of $7k-$10k. Also, Nissan declines to consider allowing for putting in a 30 kWh replacement pack or upgrading the other equipment. Admittedly there are probably some very high costs to modifying the vehicle to accept the newer tech, but the net result is the car has limited upside.

it's almost like buying a car knowing the car must have the engine replaced and having to budget for that. To be sure, there is a hard-for-me-to-define market of folks who really just don't need to drive it further and so the 7 or 8 bars works out great, and there is no need to pay for the replacement. For those folks, I guess the car will be more valuable than the low estimate I made.

I guess an edit here from me would be that, as I think about it, maybe my off-the-cuff warning was simply too alarmingly low. Just the battery itself is of tangible value for Nissan to get back and the rest of the car certainly seems like a decent car with relatively little to go wrong with it.

Regardless of all this, you sound like an absolutely excellent candidate to buy and enjoy a Leaf - even one that has lost a lot of range. I think it's just a question of being a bit careful of the one you buy and the price you pay, as with all used vehicle purchases.

This also may be of use, just to get a sense of prices (not sure if the link will work but it is just meant to be all used Leafs for sale nationally on cars.com, including non-dealer sales.)

https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action/?PMmt=1-1-0&crSrtFlds=stkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoPrice&feedSegId=28705&isDealerGrouping=false&mdId=35968&mkId=20077&prMn=0&prMx=20000&requestorTrackingInfo=RTB_SEARCH&rpp=50&sf1Dir=ASC&sf1Nm=price&sf2Dir=ASC&sf2Nm=miles&stkTypId=28881&zc=85648&rd=100000&searchSource=UTILITY

LeftieBiker said:
I'd only count on a new battery if you can find a Leaf with nine (or virtually nine, meaning the tenth is about to vanish) bars. Remember that the warranty in question is up after 60k miles OR 5 years, whichever comes first. So while a 2012 might have time to degrade enough, a 2011 might not. ....
Lots of great info upthread! I'm with Leftie on this, go with a 2012 with 9-bars, make sure it's not "opted out" of the Klee settlement, keep it fully charged, and baking in the sun, drive fast and hard on the freeway, and hope to win the battery lottery before 2017.

Don't forget to negotiate a great deal (2011's are going for $5000-$8000 at auction):
http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8354&p=452162&hilit=auction#p452162
Oh, and based on your driving habits, yes, you should be able to do 20 miles in town even with a 6 bar car. Remember, the original EPA range was 72 mi, so that should translate into about 35 mi. However, feel free to read my previous thought on us low mileage drivers. Unfortunately, the battery will degrade whether you drive it or not, and it will degrade faster at higher temperatures. Sorry, that's due to the battery chemistry Nissan chose, and the lack of thermal management.

I see one for under $8000 with under 20K miles
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/660609088/overview/
$1.99 gas here may be causing price drop

EVforRobert said:
I see one for under $8000 with under 20K miles
http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/660609088/overview/
$1.99 gas here may be causing price drop

Wow, they certainly are falling in price. I was just emptying out a drawer, and I found a quote I got from the local Nissan dealership less than 3 years ago for a MY 2011 Leaf. They were asking $22,495! Talk about crazy fast depreciation...

Reddy said:

Thanks Reddy. The used buying guide says:

"2013 Year Models

Uses an all-new battery pack from previous years.
Anecdotal evidence tends to show that degradation is not as big of a problem in this year model, although Nissan never officially announced any changes related to heat tolerance."

Do the newer battery packs really have better heat tolerance? Can anyone point me to some data to back this up (or not)?

Do the newer battery packs really have better heat tolerance? Can anyone point me to some data to back this up (or not)?

They seem to have better age tolerance, and maybe a little more heat tolerance, but they didn't solve the degradation problem with the second version pack in 2013. They did solve their own (Nissan's) problem,in that these packs seem destined to outlast their capacity warranty.

evme said:
jlsoaz said:

I'm causally watching 2011 prices and while the rate of depreciation has slowed down the resale value most certainly hasn't bottomed out yet, and with batteries further degrading and new tech coming to market I expect the above numbers not to be too far off in a couple of years. At least I'm putting enough miles on the car and went with my Leaf thorough the highest gas prices I remember, so overall my savings on fuel keep the cost of ownership more or less in check compared to driving an ICE, but with 4000 annual miles a Leaf will likely be not a cheap car to own from the TCO perspective especially with $2/gal gas, if that of any importance anyway.

evme said:
Reddy said:

Thanks Reddy. The used buying guide says:

"2013 Year Models

Uses an all-new battery pack from previous years.
Anecdotal evidence tends to show that degradation is not as big of a problem in this year model, although Nissan never officially announced any changes related to heat tolerance."

Read my past postings for your data. I have provided plenty of it. A previous poster as well as myself have extended an invitation to you to contact us for information regarding Leafs in your region. I believe he belongs to Tucson Electric Auto Association or has referred to it and I belong to the Phoenix Electric Auto Association. We could be of help to you.

LeftieBiker said:

They seem to have better age tolerance, and maybe a little more heat tolerance, but they didn't solve the degradation problem with the second version pack in 2013.
Sounds reasonable. My response to evme would be at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=447252#p447252.

Back