"EVSEs" built with Open EVSE boards

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2nd OpenEVSE by thinwing...

7042278535_d6967e023e_z.jpg

The display looks wonderful. Oops, I purchased a display shield at TRW Saturday and it has no serial inputs, Live and learn it was only $15

GlennD said:
The display looks wonderful. Oops, I purchased a display shield at TRW Saturday and it has no serial inputs, Live and learn it was only $15

This is the one most of us pick, it has 5 input buttons as well, and only takes 4 wires to hookup, +5V, Ground, and the I2C clock and data line. It $25, with shipping under $30, you do have to do about 10 minutes of soldering.

http://www.adafruit.com/products/714" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are some photos of my 16 amp Open EVSE unit with VFD display.

The VFD is available from Adafruit and uses the Samsung 20T202DA2JA SPI interface.
http://www.adafruit.com/products/347" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I connected up the SPI interface on digital inputs: 3,4, and 6 using the Arduino SPI_VFD library by "Paint Your Dragon".
I based my VFD interface on the Adafruit RGB LCD Shield display on the Open EVSE Wiki.
Relay is a Potter & Brumfield T92P7D22-12 rated at 30 amps and 10 AWG supply wiring.
The box is a Carlon 8 x 6 x 4" NEMA 12/4X "Circuit Safe" Enclosure with clear door.

Ready - not connected to EV
6943290954_6912b540e2_z.jpg

Ready - Waiting for EV
6943291074_961799b75c_z.jpg

Charging
6943291016_0601f76ef5_z.jpg

Thanks to the many contributors of the Open EVSE project
Greg C.

I received Barbour"s sense board and I modified my portable EVSE. I put in a smaller power supply to leave room for a display. I also installed the sense board and a display.
I tried to mount my 2X16 display without using spacers and cracked the display. The only other display on hand is a single line non back lighted one. When my displays arrive from China I will replace it.

Portablewithsenseboard.jpg

Portabledisplay.jpg

If you look closely at the Open EVSE board you will see that it is a development unit. I had one of the very rare failures on my purchased board. Since Chris is shipping out the boards as fast as he can construct them he had no spares.

In an act beyond what is expected he gave me this board to keep and use while he came up with a replacement.

Since I found a reasonable used 15A ITT cable on Ebay I decided to make a dual voltage portable unit, I added the GFCI circuit on a small piece of Vector board and the sense board makes it complete and current. All of the safety features are important in a portable unit.

Since I used the development board Chris donated to me to make my portable unit, I decided to make another development unit to play with. This is a EVSE ver 1 with the 12V power module. It does not have the GFCI circuitry or the power sense optoisolators. It is strictly for playing with the firmware releases before upgrading my units. It has ver 5 firemare with the GFCI and ADV power commented out.

OpenEVSEDevelopment.jpg

The LCD bezel came from Digikey using a part number someone posted in the Open EVSE thread. I think it was in the three dollar range. It does really improve the look but it requires a huge hole.

Yea, Its great! It is only $3 and it already includes the basics, There is room for the original design but not for the enhancements. If I was to actually use it in any service except as a work dog or emergency spare than I would mount it on a proto board like I did your board.

I played around with the resistor size but I could not achieve a true yellow. The red and green leds are too removed from each other. The Adafruit shield has a true yellow and it makes the led's failings stand out.

It might be best to use Barbori's display only option.

I am sure i mis-spelled Barbori's name but such as life. I am sorry.

Back