EVSE Upgrade the Right Choice?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MartinChico said:
(2) I will probably convert my new, original-with-the-car EVSE to the EVSEUpgrade and buy adapters so I could use it with my NEMA 10-30 "dryer" outlet if I needed an urgent, L-2 charge. This will stay clean, nice, protected, etc. in my garage. (This will be rarely used, partly due to the 240V fear factor mentioned by John H, above!)
But you will likely plug in the dryer plug to L6-30 adapter one time and leave it plugged in and only remove it when you move.
I agree that I would not want to be frequently plugging and unplugging one.
The 6-50 that was put in for my free EVProject Blink has only been unplugged and plugged back in seven times in 43 months.
Only done when Blink hungup and needed hard reboot and when SD card died and I had to remove second Linux board functions to get it to work.
Anyone plugging or unplugging one should be very cautious.

As he said the L6-30 which Ingineer chose for safety reasons is what should be used when you are using evseupgrade.

Phatcat73: You wrote concerning the Siemens VersiCharge: "It requires a 40 amp breaker, but can be dialed back to account for a smaller breaker.".

IMHO you should have stopped at "It requires a 40 amp breaker.". If you look on p. 21 of the current "Installation and Operations Manual" (813776 2014 -- link available via HomeDepot.com), it reads: "Circuit Requirements -- Circuit must be sized for the max ampere requirement [which is 30a --> 40a breaker is required]. Do not de-rate breakers or conductors based on amperage adjustment."

I can't say for sure why this requirement, only that it exists -- so it should be followed. It may be that it has been observed that people (particularly as they age) tend to not to make sound decisions about complex or subtle issues, and in this case might subsequently increase a lowered setting that could conceivably increase the risk of fire.

Back