eVgo Expansion?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect it is the air filter that gets clogged up and not the heatsink. The unit sucks in air 24/7 and the filter being close to the ground gets clogged up and restricts airflow. I guess you can carry a brush and give the filter some cleaning every time you use a charger, can't hurt :)

lkkms2 said:
JPWhite said:
Overtemp is a maintenance issue for the host. There is a heatsink that gets clogged up with debris that needs cleaning once per month. We had the same here in Nashville. But once the maintenance was done, the units worked fine at 100+
JP

Hmm, how does a heat sink get clogged up? Would like to see how this looks. Any thing we can do to prevent this from happening?

Dirt, dust, leaves, mouse droppings are all possible reasons the heat sinks get dirty.

There is nothing we as drivers can do, its up to the host to maintain the equipment.

This is an interesting difference between Tesla and everyone else. Tesla look after their own kit. Depending on the host is fine if they do the maintenance. Nissan do communicate the preventive maintenance to all hosts as installs are performed, but the guy who is Nissan's point of contact isn't very often the guy doing equipment maintenance for their properties. There is an opportunity for a breakdown in communication/education.

I was reminded of this fact when I had to educate my local dealer the first year they got their QC. At first they thought I was making it up and told me they were not authorised to touch the units anyway - that had to be done by a qualified technician due to the high voltages inside. But on my next visit they said "You were right!!!, it was exactly what you said it was and its easy to do". They had checked with HQ and they shared the maintenance procedures. The procedures had been sent to the dealer previously, but that sat in someones inbox. If a Nissan dealer fails to do the maintenance until prompted by unit failure, what chance a hotel, gas station or restaurant?

JPWhite said:
About once per week I arrive and the Red fault light is on with an error on the screen. I press STOP for 3-4 seconds which restarts the unit, works everytime. People may complain about the Nissan brand units reliability, but the most likely cause is user error, an incorrectly inserted plug in the cars QC port.
Thanks for the info JP.
I cleared fault once by opening disconnect.
Good to know about the other way.

Think most of trips have been from Tesla use.
Does not like that long time 44kW draw in warm weather.
Not sure their filter cleaning is quite up to par though.
But they also have step up transformer that could be a problem too.

TimLee said:
JPWhite said:
About once per week I arrive and the Red fault light is on with an error on the screen. I press STOP for 3-4 seconds which restarts the unit, works everytime. People may complain about the Nissan brand units reliability, but the most likely cause is user error, an incorrectly inserted plug in the cars QC port.
Thanks for the info JP.
I cleared fault once by opening disconnect.
Good to know about the other way.

Think most of trips have been from Tesla use.
Does not like that long time 44kW draw in warm weather.
Not sure their filter cleaning is quite up to par though.
But they also have step up transformer that could be a problem too.

NP. After the long weekend I was pretty sure I'd run into the same fault condition at HQ. Sure enough two of the three units had faulted.

I took photos and added the remedial procedure to my blog.

http://jpwhitenissanleaf.com/2015/01/20/overcoming-common-error-on-nissan-quick-charge-units/

The fault seems to be occurring more frequently at the moment. I believe cold weather making the thick cable very stiff contributes to 'driver error' when inserting the cable. It can be like wrestling with an anaconda during the polar vortexes. This weekend was mild though.... There are probably a lot of green drivers out there as well.

I've seen comments on PlugShare that to reset a more severe error like overheating or to clear a previous emergency button press you need to turn the emergency button clockwise and press the start and stop buttons simultaneously. Never tried it myself.

Valdemar said:
I've seen comments on PlugShare that to reset a more severe error like overheating or to clear a previous emergency button press you need to turn the emergency button clockwise and press the start and stop buttons simultaneously. Never tried it myself.

For the eVgo units in Tennesseee NRG have removed the large emergency button altogether and put a card reader in its place. Wonder how that would work with the more severe error codes?

JPWhite said:
Valdemar said:

For the eVgo units in Tennesseee NRG have removed the large emergency button altogether and put a card reader in its place. Wonder how that would work with the more severe error codes?

Yeah, that's what they do here as well. I'm surprised the code allows it. Maybe try calling customer service so that they can reset it remotely?

Found this spreadsheet while Googling for information on eVgo's East Coast expansion:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&ved=0CFUQFjAJ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fphx.corporate-ir.net%2FExternal.File%3Fitem%3DUGFyZW50SUQ9MjY2OTM2fENoaWxkSUQ9LTF8VHlwZT0z%26t%3D1&ei=0hy_VKDGOIu1ggTnt4ToBw&usg=AFQjCNF2TAJBg_ruJ4-7vva89LYyasArow&sig2=GaJvjhxgncodbLMMDhnpvA&bvm=bv.84116906,d.eXY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And here's the relevant slide (from page 7):

YmVBfgy.jpg

I'm surprised to see that eVgo isn't planning on linking SoCal and Las Vegas. Once the longer range EV's come out, that'll be a possible trip, I would think.

According to PlugShare, there's already a functioning eVgo QC in the Boston area, but it's not listed on their website yet. In fact, Boston isn't listed as a current market yet. I wonder how many other stations are out there but haven't been discovered yet.

drees said:
JPWhite said:
Browsing local PlugShare locations, hardware failures are still pretty common. Heck, even Tony has a hard time keeping them online - he has two at a location and both were down recently for about two weeks. http://api.plugshare.com/view/location/51941" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Water got in the left unit and kept tripping the circuit breaker. The right unit had the thermal sensor issue.

Unlike the San Juan Capistrano site with its uber reliable Fuji charger, the Irvine Spectrum location has the two Nissan units. Those filters do get cleaned monthly, but the entire design is dumb.

I suggested that we put ventilation tubes to get the air intake up in the air, not on the ground. As to overheating, thankfulky it doesn't get that warm in Orange County. I'm not sure what else we can do.

The lack of QC reliability makes me wish we had 80A capable on-board charging like you can get on a Tesla - you can buy very reliable 80A J1772 stations for a fraction of the cost of a QC station. Even 40A L2 would be great to have as backup for when you can't find a QC station.

Honestly, the real answer is more DC charging that is dependable and ubiquitous. Things are going far better than I would have dreamed even two years ago.

TonyWilliams said:
Water got in the left unit and kept tripping the circuit breaker. The right unit had the thermal sensor issue.

Unlike the San Juan Capistrano site with its uber reliable Fuji charger, the Irvine Spectrum location has the two Nissan units. Those filters do get cleaned monthly, but the entire design is dumb.
Thanks for elaborating on the specific issues. How were the units ultimately repaired? Were you able to dry out the left unit? I presume the right unit needed parts?

TonyWilliams said:
I suggested that we put ventilation tubes to get the air intake up in the air, not on the ground. As to overheating, thankfulky it doesn't get that warm in Orange County. I'm not sure what else we can do.
Yeah, it's unfortunate that they are designed so poorly and require so much maintenance to keep running. One has to appreciate the Tesla design which uses water cooled charger - same as used in the Model S - and a water-air heat exchanger (aka radiator) which is much more reliable as it doesn't require air filters. I like the vent tube idea. Wouldn't be hard to bend some sheet aluminum or steel to fit.

TonyWilliams said:
Honestly, the real answer is more DC charging that is dependable and ubiquitous. Things are going far better than I would have dreamed even two years ago.
You left out cheap, but I suppose we can only choose 2 out of 3. ;) So where are the next Evoasis stations going in? Maybe a 2nd unit at SJC or perhaps a unit in Oceanside? How about Ramona?

drees said:
TonyWilliams said:
Water got in the left unit and kept tripping the circuit breaker. The right unit had the thermal sensor issue. Unlike the San Juan Capistrano site with its uber reliable Fuji charger, the Irvine Spectrum location has the two Nissan units. Those filters do get cleaned monthly, but the entire design is dumb.
Thanks for elaborating on the specific issues. How were the units ultimately repaired? Were you able to dry out the left unit? I presume the right unit needed parts?

Yes, parts were required. I was able to get the left operating for a bit by just recycling the 75 amp breaker, but it didn't last long. New parts fixed it.

TonyWilliams said:
Yeah, it's unfortunate that they are designed so poorly and require so much maintenance to keep running. One has to appreciate the Tesla design which uses water cooled charger - same as used in the Model S - and a water-air heat exchanger (aka radiator) which is much more reliable as it doesn't require air filters. I like the vent tube idea. Wouldn't be hard to bend some sheet aluminum or steel to fit.

Imagine the air intakes on a water crossing Jeep... Long tube with an air intake on top.

TonyWilliams said:
You left out cheap, but I suppose we can only choose 2 out of 3. ;) So where are the next Evoasis stations going in? Maybe a 2nd unit at SJC or perhaps a unit in Oceanside? How about Ramona?

The 8-10 station plaza in Encinitas. We were offered a spot near the Ontario airport which is another key spot. Burbank / Pasadena in planning. Ramona is a good spot, as is Temecula.

TonyWilliams said:
Valdemar said:
Burbank please! Hopefully somewhere near the airport. Somehow 0 QC in the area so far, wondering why, high demand charges?
They actually have their own utility, right?
http://www.burbankwaterandpower.com/electric/commercial-and-industrial-electric-rates" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Demand charges look reasonable compared to SDG&E and SCE - $10.51 / kVa + ~$0.12 / kWh. Good luck on the new installs!

TonyWilliams said:
Valdemar said:
Burbank please! Hopefully somewhere near the airport. Somehow 0 QC in the area so far, wondering why, high demand charges?

They actually have their own utility, right?

Yup, they own several ChargePoints around the town from early on. Initially at $2/hr but now more reasonably priced at 19c/kWh, hopefully it is a sign they listen to the EV community.

Besides expanding their network of chargers, I think eVgo should improve their internet site. Is it just me, but I can’t get any history of my L2/QC charges or cost from their website. I have asked eVgo repeatedly to add that type of information to their site, but so far to no avail. Blink and Chargepoint provide this information on their sites so I assume it isn’t asking too much. I have no complaints about the reliability of their chargers, if I can access them in the SF Bay Area. But now they are frequently occupied because of the popularity of the no-cost charging that is available to new LEAF and other EV drivers.

linkim said:
Besides expanding their network of chargers, I think eVgo should improve their internet site. Is it just me, but I can’t get any history of my L2/QC charges or cost from their website. I have asked eVgo repeatedly to add that type of information to their site, but so far to no avail. Blink and Chargepoint provide this information on their sites so I assume it isn’t asking too much. I have no complaints about the reliability of their chargers, if I can access them in the SF Bay Area. But now they are frequently occupied because of the popularity of the no-cost charging that is available to new LEAF and other EV drivers.

Good. It's not just me. I have asked them for visibility to my charging sessions and fees. One thing that drove me crazy is when they bill you they ask you to be sure they have up to date credit card information on file, but it is not possible to tell what they have on file via their website. When I saw a charge going through on my *credit cards* website I figured they must have up to date info :)

I agree this is an embarrassment to them they need to fix asap.

I suppose we'll just have to keep bleating until they take action.

Back