EV charging stations coming to LA Metro park & ride stations

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPVLeaf

Saw this story today on the local ABC7 news.

(Will post link to video if/when it shows up on their website.)

Electric vehicle charging stations coming to Metro park and ride stations

EV drivers will soon be able to charge their vehicles at five Metro park and ride stations: Union Station, Sierra Madre Villa Station, Willow Station, El Segundo Station and Universal City Station. Each of the five locations will have four Level 2 chargers that can accommodate up to eight vehicles at a time. The first two locations, Union Station (located at P2D in the underground parking structure) and Sierra Madre Villa Station, opens to the public in early January 2013 (EDIT: since updated to late-January 2013). All stations will be open by mid-February 2013.

The installation of these EV charging stations is part of a one-year pilot program. Metro hopes that these stations will encourage EV drivers to combine public transportation with driving. EV drivers will be able to charge their vehicles while using Metro to run errands, or while commuting the rest of the way to work.

EV drivers need to subscribe with Metro to use these charging stations. Once they sign up, they will receive a key fob linked to either a credit card or PayPal account. To start a charge, plug the EV in and wave the key fob over the reader. The cost is $1/hr and tops out at $3. EV drivers will receive a text notification when the $3 maximum has been charged. EV drivers can also get instant access to a charging station by calling 213-922-GOEV and setting up an account on the spot.

This pilot program marks the first time a transportation agency has directly incorporated EV charging stations as part of the transit system. Metro is working with EV Connect to install and operate the charging stations. The program is funded by a grant from the California Energy Commission.
MTA, Metropolitan Transportation Authority

http://www.metro.net/projects/ev/

OPEN late-January 2013:
Union Station
801 N. Vignes Street, Los Angeles 90012
(located in P2D in the underground parking structure)

Sierra Madre Villa Metro Gold Line Station
149 N Halstead Ave, Pasadena 91107
(located in 1st level of parking structure near Sierra Madre Villa Ave entrance)

OPEN by mid-February 2013:
Willow Metro Blue Line Station
2750 American Ave, Long Beach 90806
(located in 1st level of parking structure near west entrance)

El Segundo Metro Green Line Station
2226 E El Segundo Blvd, El Segundo 90245
(located in parking lot)

Universal City Metro Red Line Station
3913 Lankershim Blvd, Studio City 91604
(located in northeast side of parking lot of Camp de Cahuenga)

That is really a good news, isn't it? There is an article which caught my attention a while ago. It says that New York City's Mayor Bloomberg has called for incorporating 10,000 new EV charging stations in the area before 2020. The effort was only one of the clean technology measures suggested in the mayor's 12th and final State of the area address. Check this out: New EV Charging Stations by 2020.

Be aware that this plan is not free. It costs from $25 for a dongle and 2,000 charging credits to $105 for 10,000 charging credits (100 credits is $1 worth of charging credit, or in other words, a penny). "Charging will cost $1 per hour with a $3 cap per charge, and users will be billed through their account. Parking itself is free at all charge stations except at Union Station."

TomT said:
Be aware that this plan is not free. It costs from $25 for a dongle and 2,000 charging credits to $105 for 10,000 charging credits (100 credits is $1 worth of charging credit, or in other words, a penny). "Charging will cost $1 per hour with a $3 cap per charge, and users will be billed through their account. Parking itself is free at all charge stations except at Union Station."

$1/hour is in line with a Blink Plus membership and is half the price of a Blink guest account, or every ChargePoint station I've ever used (except for the ones at SCAQMD). None of those have a cap either.

I am worried that with such a low cap that the chargers are going to be constantly tied up, since there will be no incentive to move them once the battery is full.

I don't know. You can park for free in most of those lots so it actually is more costly to park at a charger for 3 bucks for a day if you don't actually need to charge. It would be kind of pricey for a PIP for example just to get 10 miles of charge. Not answered is whether it is billed on time you are plugged in or time you are actually drawing power, however... I'm assuming the former.

JPVLeaf said:
http://www.metro.net/projects/ev/
OPEN late-January 2013:
Union Station
801 N. Vignes Street, Los Angeles 90012
(located in P2D in the underground parking structure)
Anyone use the new Eaton site yet? I have a card on order and need to use them week of the 4th. Not seen a successful check-in yet.

JeremyW said:
Another card/fob/account? Grumble grumble. :? :x
And how. My EV has it's own wallet...

JeremyW said:
Another card/fob/account? Grumble grumble. :? :x
And how. My EV has it's own wallet...[/quote]

And what these folks will send you is a thick metal key chain like fob. Not even a card that will lay flat with the others. Prefer a card!

Back