EV Charger

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richmanley

I was unhappy with the recomended EV charger company. I ask for a cash and carry and was told that I was not qualified to make that judgement and needed a visit from a quilified electrictian (I am a contractor). After much explanation I was told delivery would be in 6 weeks ( not exceptable). Canceled the order and call Critter Creek. What a differance 24 hrs later I had a 230V charger system.
Installed a plug on the pig tail and plugged it in. Leaf arrived dec 20th plugged it in that night and all is well. Looks like the Leaf will do as expected. Using about 3.7kw/m driving some freeway everyday. I've let some people drive it and enjoyed there expression as they expected a gold cart drive.

Good move. I bought my AeroVironment charging dock secondhand, from another member of this forum, and my contractor who happens to do electrical work installed it for a very reasonable price. No sense putting up with extra baloney.

And of course, congratulations on the LEAF!

I was told that if I don't use the electrician that aeroVironment requires that it will effect my battery warranty and may not be warranted by Nissan. On this forum it is very obvious that not everyone uses a aero home charger.

Explore your options. There are many affordable options, some under $300. Get some accurate answers before making a decision.

I called up Aerovironment and ordered mine by itself. They just told me to hire an electrician to install it. Of course, I just did it myself. I'm not an electrician but I've done tons of electrical work. In fact, I wired my own home when it was under construction.

TNRC said:
I was told that if I don't use the electrician that aeroVironment requires that it will effect my battery warranty and may not be warranted by Nissan. On this forum it is very obvious that not everyone uses a aero home charger.
That is flat out wrong.

I had an AV charger installed by AV when I took delivery of my Leaf in December. Now Florida Power and Light had a free Clipper Creek installed as part of a pilot program to monitor my charging using my FPL smart meter. Now I will sell the AV. What should I ask for it?

N1ghtrider said:
I had an AV charger installed by AV when I took delivery of my Leaf in December. Now Florida Power and Light had a free Clipper Creek installed as part of a pilot program to monitor my charging using my FPL smart meter. Now I will sell the AV. What should I ask for it?
Maybe we can make a deal. [email protected]
It was the electician that came to my house to make a feasability inspection that told me this.
Thanks for the replies all of this information is very helpfull.

smkettner said:
TNRC said:
That is flat out wrong.
+1. Anyone who has a reservation for a Leaf can buy a "cash and carry" EVSE charger directly from AV. Mine took a week to arrive because they only ship ground. You do have to sign their liability paperwork but it has no bearing on the battery warranty.

Misuse of the battery, even an AV charger installed by their installer, will void the warranty. For example, charging when the battery is already full, leaving the car discharged for over 2 weeks, and abuse in general.

spike09 said:
+1. Anyone who has a reservation for a Leaf can buy a "cash and carry" EVSE charger directly from AV.

Yes, but to get the Maryland EVSE install tax credit (up to $400), you need to have a electrical permit and a professional install.

BRBarian said:
spike09 said:
+1. Anyone who has a reservation for a Leaf can buy a "cash and carry" EVSE charger directly from AV.

Yes, but to get the Maryland EVSE install tax credit (up to $400), you need to have a electrical permit and a professional install.

So get a Schneider from Home Depot.com and have your local professional install it.
All in you will be about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of full service from AV. And still done by a pro.

smkettner said:
BRBarian said:
spike09 said:

So get a Schneider from Home Depot.com and have your local professional install it.
All in you will be about 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of full service from AV. And still done by a pro.
There is no doubt you can install an EVSE yourself but if you do not bother pulling a permit you are 100% liabable. Your insurance company will deny any claim god forbid there is a house fire even if the EVSE was not the cause. Tripping over the cable is also a real possibilty that you would be liable for because you have a distaste for the time and effort it takes to pull a permit. Where is the logic in shelling out the big bucks for the Leaf and EVSE and skimp on the cost of the permit?

smkettner said:
BRBarian said:
spike09 said:

1. I don't shop at Home Depot (evil company, sells crap, way too expensive)

2. I bought the Leviton L2 unit for my 2nd home. It seems a better product.

BRBarian said:
I bought the Leviton L2 unit for my 2nd home. It seems a better product.
I bought a Leviton Evr-Greem 160 to charge my LEAF. The electrican came and installed a 240V outlet, we put the Leviton unit on the wall next to it and we were done in about an hour. It seems to be a great product, very solid and reliable.

That is absolutely untrue. If you are the homeowner and the installer, you can install it yourself. It is no different than if you install or change an outlet yourself in your home. In any case, an insurance company will not void your coverage regardless, even if it DID cause the fire.

spike09 said:
There is no doubt you can install an EVSE yourself but if you do not bother pulling a permit you are 100% liabable. Your insurance company will deny any claim god forbid there is a house fire even if the EVSE was not the cause.

Perhaps you misunderstood my point.

Do you really think an insurance company would pay out if the EVSE was not installed up to the NEC code? Do you also think they would pay out if the electrical work required a permit and there is none on file?

TomT said:
That is absolutely untrue. If you are the homeowner and the installer, you can install it yourself. It is no different than if you install or change an outlet yourself in your home. In any case, an insurance company will not void your coverage regardless, even if it DID cause the fire.

spike09 said:
There is no doubt you can install an EVSE yourself but if you do not bother pulling a permit you are 100% liabable. Your insurance company will deny any claim god forbid there is a house fire even if the EVSE was not the cause.

Back