(EV)angelism - Taking the fight to Whole Foods

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikeKen

I have been motivated by a lot of you who are acting and trying to be heard by businesses to extend the EV charging infrastructure at work, play etc...

One organization I have targeted is Whole Foods Markets. EV promotion would be in line with their company values and their promotion of a better planet.
I have written letters to their corporate offices and visited my local store regarding this matter. While my efforts are just starting, I think it would be great if we could weigh in as a group to get some traction with this issue. My thought was that if a clearly "green" business such as Whole Foods wouldn't be game for EV stations how could we convince less enviro-friendly businesses?

So, maybe we can create a groundswell of support helping an already environmentally conscious business to help expand the EV charging infrastructure. Call, write, and visit your local Whole Foods market to increase their awareness on this issue ... an issue of concern to many of their green living customers with EVs.

I'd mentioned elsewhere that the brand-new Whole Foods in Encintas has designated the parking spots closest to the elevators/stair well (it's all underground parking) as restricted to fuel efficient/low emission vehicles only.

No EVSEs, but they are providing a perk to those who are attempting to drive with a low impact.

And pray tell, what is their definition of such a vehicle???... It sounds meaningless to me.

lonndoggie said:
I'd mentioned elsewhere that the brand-new Whole Foods in Encintas has designated the parking spots closest to the elevators/stair well (it's all underground parking) as restricted to fuel efficient/low emission vehicles only.

Vague, yes. Meaningless, no.
mogur said:
And pray tell, what is their definition of such a vehicle???... It sounds meaningless to me.

lonndoggie said:

The Whole Foods stores in Scottsdale, Chandler, and Paradise Valley, AZ are all getting Coulomb/Chargepoint chargers installed (2 each) in the next 6-8 weeks. That was a message to our local EV group (Electric Auto Assn.) this past weekend at one of our monthly meetings.

There is a Wholefoods in Fairview, TX (very northern burb of Dallas) that has an EVSE. I used it a couple of weeks ago when I grab lunch there.

I was at the Whole Foods last night in Santa Monica at 23rd and Wilshire and noticed they've installed 2 blink charging stations. They're on the A level. However, one of them serves two handicapped parking spaces (although maybe the cord could reach over a couple spaces) and the other one serves two regular spaces. Needless to say, they were totally ICE'd and the only one accessible was by the handicapped spaces. I'll ask the manager about them next time I'm in and see if they can get some EV signage.

Whole Foods has been building a HUGE store here in Aliso Viejo. They just finished up sealing the envelope last week and are now frantically working on the interior and cladding. Fingers crossed they drop in a few EVSE's in the parking lot. More than happy to stop by for a snack and trip to our gym which is right across the street.

There's one one Whole Foods in the Bay Area (Lafayette) that has 2 ChargePoint L2s. I emailed Whole Foods and thanked them and mentioned that they should add more because whenever I'm near Lafayette I make extra efforts to go there for groceries or meals because they support EVs. I gave them some suggestions of other Whole Foods to add it to. But it seemed to fall on deaf ears as I did not hear a response.

They have taken down the construction fence at the new Whole Foods in Aliso Viejo. They are working in the parking lot still but now you can at least see clearly what is new construction. There are two new pairs of suspicious looking bollards nearest the building in the parking isles. They are likely for HC but are spaced to cover 6 stalls each. The furthest out in each group has a sign post but no signage yet. The closest in bollards are in landscaping and apparently protect nothing since there is nothing to hit. Fingers crossed one (or all four) of these will get hung with an EVSE.

The new Fresh and Easy near me has a couple of similar parking spaces (no EVSEs). They are always iced bu SUVs and the like. So, to me, it IS meaningless, yes...

lonndoggie said:
Vague, yes. Meaningless, no.
mogur said:

lonndoggie said:

That's useless. There's a sign like that at B of A here, and there's always a Suburban with a "Flex-Fuel" logo in it! :lol:
lonndoggie said:

No EVSEs, but they are providing a perk to those who are attempting to drive with a low impact.

Back