Estimated used value in 2 years

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryker1

What do you think the trade in value of a used Leaf will be after two years and 24k miles. :?:

What year: 2011/2012, 2013/2014, or 2015? This helps estimate the potential battery degradation, which is one factor in the used value.

And you can get hard numbers for 2011-2013s now.

2014 or 2015 year models. The market is changing. New electric models are being introduced. Consumers are becoming more aware and willing to own a EV. Plus a huge factor in my regional area will be the massive number of off-lease Leafs. Georgia has had the 5k tax rebate and the metro dealers are moving them very fast.

eBay shows sold 2011-2012 models to be around 12-15k.

Ryker1 said:
2014 or 2015 year models. The market is changing. New electric models are being introduced. Consumers are becoming more aware and willing to own a EV. Plus a huge factor in my regional area will be the massive number of off-lease Leafs. Georgia has had the 5k tax rebate and the metro dealers are moving them very fast.

eBay shows sold 2011-2012 models to be around 12-15k.

I would guess 15K give or take 2K. If gas is 5 bucks a gallon all bets are off. If there is high publicity on crash test failures, all bets are off.

.. and if a certain party takes control of White house and Congress and Senate in 2016, then all hell will break loose. May be swat teams will come and confiscate our Leafs as contraband, and Musk might get investigated by IRS, FBI for just being Musk, forcing him to bankrupt Tesla.

Too far fetched? I don't think so.

mkjayakumar said:
.. and if a certain party takes control of White house and Congress and Senate in 2016, then all hell will break loose. May be swat teams will come and confiscate our Leafs as contraband, and Musk might get investigated by IRS, FBI for just being Musk, forcing him to bankrupt Tesla.
Don't forget that it was under the last Republican administration that the $7.5k federal EV tax credit was instituted. And EV incentives have been rolled out in both red and blue states. Don't get me wrong - I'm not thrilled with the climate change denialism that's rampant in today's GOP. I'm just not crazy about the "world as we know it will end if <insert favorite politician or political party here> doesn't get [re]elected" sort of rhetoric.

To the OP: I'd say if you're really concerned about depreciation on a new car, then it might be worth buying used instead. You'll live without the very latest version, but not with such a big depreciation hit. While I don't ever advocate leasing a car, many here see it as a way to spend an extra $2k (or more) as a hedge against depreciation. Or you could buy new and just take whatever you get for the LEAF when you choose to change cars (seems simpler to me).

Back