End of Lease Strategies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As much as everyone doesn't like the 11's and 12's I really can't say I can complain. Sure I am aggravated I am losing capacity but the car still greatly exceeds my needs.

If you don't need full capacity or a heat pump, the Japanese-built models seem to have higher build quality than the US-built successors. Almost all the complaints about the early Leafs are about the battery degradation and the less efficient heating system.

LeftieBiker said:
As much as everyone doesn't like the 11's and 12's I really can't say I can complain. Sure I am aggravated I am losing capacity but the car still greatly exceeds my needs.

If you don't need full capacity or a heat pump, the Japanese-built models seem to have higher build quality than the US-built successors. Almost all the complaints about the early Leafs are about the battery degradation and the less efficient heating system.
how would someone in North America get a hold on a Japanese built LEAF?

apvbguy said:
LeftieBiker said:

how would someone in North America get a hold on a Japanese built LEAF?

By buying a used '11 or '12.

Yeah I don't need the full capacity. Is nice to have, but in the end I can lose over half the battery and still make it to work and home with no issues while using climate control. Is just a lot of sitting in traffic with the tunnel, and that would be the main reason that I keep it is because it does so well with the HRBT. I will let you guys know ASAP what I find out Saturday though. Cause my dealer even said something about waving payments with the purchase option on top of the money. I find that hard to believe, but will see how the numbers shake out.

Interesting! $4000-$5000 off sounds like NMAC is tired of dumping 2011-2012 Leafs at auction. Perhaps the dealers stopped buying them (at least that's what a friend told me. He is a dealers' buyer and he won't touch them). Anyway, I wonder if this has any bearing on the next summer's 2015 release? Will it be the 150-200 mi battery or just the same as what's out currently?

Reddy said:
Interesting! $4000-$5000 off sounds like NMAC is tired of dumping 2011-2012 Leafs at auction. Perhaps the dealers stopped buying them (at least that's what a friend told me. He is a dealers' buyer and he won't touch them). Anyway, I wonder if this has any bearing on the next summer's 2015 release? Will it be the 150-200 mi battery or just the same as what's out currently?
It's little wonder there is no love in the resale market, at today's gas prices the numbers just don't work and the LEAF is headed towards cult status. Even with the subsidies it costs thousands more than a comparable gas car, just the crappy sales tax accounting alone adds an extra $800 to the price where I live. Figure at best you're saving $300/ year on fuel, that's a lot to stomach for a car you can't drive more than 50 miles.
It was fun to be on the leading edge for electric and I still think it's the way of the future, but it's kind of sucky for the present, and most buyers have figured that out. Let's see what GM can come up with on the gen 2 volt.

They should offer the $5k off to the dealers too.

Used LEAF's should become even less expensive, if gas stays around $2/gal for awhile.

People will freak if it suddenly rebounds back to near $4/gal.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
They should offer the $5k off to the dealers too.

Used LEAF's should become even less expensive, if gas stays around $2/gal for awhile.

People will freak if it suddenly rebounds back to near $4/gal.
Since we are making a wish list here, they should cut a check for $5k to those that bought. That will help pay for the replacement battery that we will all need way before 8 years.

I have to agree their resale value is going to tank with gas prices the way they are. However these prices will not last very long, so partially I am looking to the long term. The thought of locating another used one (13+) for cheap was an idea. Around here though they are going for $15-17,000. So keeping my car for $12,000 is pretty attractive. If nothing else saves wear and tear on the others, and when gas prices do spike again it won't matter. Definitely sucks for people that bought these cars outright though, but I am sure they won't be doing anything for them. Years ago they talked about giving people vouchers for the lizard battery but never did see if that came to fruition or not.

It sounds like someone of you have serious buyers' regret. It's laughable (to me, at least) about folks complaining about purchasing the early Leaf's - expecting a further $$$ handout, years down the road. The EV technology is still relatively new and if you bought this product with your eyes closed, shame on you. You knew the product was going to mature and/or get better.

Maybe you should have leased, so you can throw the keys back at Nissan Finance at the end of the lease and then lease/buy something else.

Check with the guys who bought the first cell phones, you know those massive bricks that cost $1800 and were limited by the lack of supporting infrastructure, how much of a rebate they received as the phones shrunk in size and performance improved exponentially. Or you could ask the guys who bought those first flat screened plasma TVs for $5k how much money was returned to them when you could buy a better TV for 1/8 the price.

being the first kid on the block to have the latest and greatest things can be expensive!

please spare us the spectacle of your whining about how much money it cost you to get into your early LEAF!

if you are going to whine about how things get better over time then the next time something that is new and changes things hits the market don't jump onto that band wagon just wait for the prices to dip, then again you could be waiting a long time, see Tesla Model 3, maybe it will arrive in a few more years

sonnylax said:
Maybe you should have leased, so you can throw the keys back at Nissan Finance at the end of the lease and then lease/buy something else.
bingo, you got it.

I am so pleased that I leased my LEAF and in a few more months back it goes!
I cannot "rag" on the car, it did what it was supposed to do, but it's severely limited performance and degradation issues means that the market for this and other low range BEVs will remain a niche market.

Well I need to call NMAC back Monday as my dealership knows nothing about the $5000 off the residual. They did however in good faith negotiate a buy on those terms and it is really reasonable. As long as I pay my final 5 payments at $2435 then I walk with the car $12199.55. That is tax, tag, and all fee's. I will have to go to Santa Rosa Nissan's site for the warranty though.. They wanted to sell me the used car plan for $2655 for 6 years/80,000 miles for the Security+ Gold. Ah well can't get everything in one place I suppose. So I'm thinking I'm going to keep it. Just have to talk it over with the wife, and call my bank to get a pre-approval. Then figure out what proof I can get from NMAC to get the $5000 off because it isn't showing in the dealers computer system.

sonnylax said:
It sounds like someone of you have serious buyers' regret. It's laughable (to me, at least) about folks complaining about purchasing the early Leaf's - expecting a further $$$ handout, years down the road. The EV technology is still relatively new and if you bought this product with your eyes closed, shame on you. You knew the product was going to mature and/or get better.

Wow, the Christmas malaise has set in :?
I hereby nominate you and apvbguy for Scrooge of the year :!:

The 2011 and 2012 LEAF purchasers and leassors knew there was some risk.
The irritation with Nissan is that the vehicle is defective compared to what they said it would be in marketing statements some of which are close to being lies.
Actually the first to get a LEAF that meets the statements may be those with a 2015 with heat resistant battery.
Although the 2013 chemistry tweak does seem better than 2011 and 2012.

But no I do not regret the purchase.
Nissan's very late but smart change to sell below cost replacement batteries in June 2014 has improved the value of the purchase.
And $5,000 residual reduction for 2012 leassors has also helped quite a few people.
Unfortunately they did nothing for 2011 leassors most of whom turned it in and many of whom walked away from LEAF. Probably some of them to leave Nissan permanently.

I still think there is some hope that Nissan's class action settlement offer might include an appropriate prorated on miles and time capacity warranty.
That is what would make the perception and value of the LEAF better :D

TimLee said:
sonnylax said:
Wow, the Christmas malaise has set in :?
I hereby nominate you and apvbguy for Scrooge of the year :!:
no malaise, some of us just don't whine when their newer/better toy gets updated with something newer and better
wambulance_logo.jpg

No, rather than "whine" you just compare people trying to get away from carbon fuels to those who want new technologies just for the "Wow" factor. It didn't make sense to subsidize cell phones and plasma TVs. It *does* make sense to subsidize zero tailpipe emission cars. We could use a bit less schoolyard bullying here.

I received my final closeout statement from NMAC on the LEAF lease showing $0 owed. Apparently they didn't have any problem correlating the Sentra purchase to waive the disposition fee.

Sigh, so I found out that I essentially have 8,000 more miles and 9 months to go on my lease. :( I will probably burn through those in about 6 months. I'm thinking of unloading the car 3 months early to save on insurance, registration, and the rare chance some electrical part sh!ts the bed out of warranty. I have no interest in leasing a new leaf, as I'm going to the BMW i3 (probably around December/January 2016).

Any thoughts on my strategy?

Back