End of Lease Strategies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but I think, you are right on target...by Memorial day, the prices should deflate a bit further....

Which would be ironic, considering how much effort I put into extending my lease...which would have ended on June 2. My current goal is to drive this summer with my '13, letting poor "ANA" take the heat, and then lease a freshly-built 2016 SV on Labor Day weekend. That's also about when my current XM subscription will end.

I guess, the longer you are able to wait into 2016, the deals are only going to get better.

If the Model 3 has put some pressure on all the competition, the concrete release date of the 2017 Chevy Bolt will only put further pressure on competitor pricing.

And talking of XM, I was able to purchase lifetime subscription on it back in 2009 for some $350 or so. The subscription has already more than paid for itself by now...beauty of external XM radio (just like external GPS) is that it can be taken from one car to another. Drawback is, it has to be run through aux. port/bluetooth streaming..no tight integration with the car.

Hi All,

Pay off quote in my account : $18,181.88
Maturity date: 10/01/2016
Leased from premier Nissan San jose.
3 year lease with 12k miles/year.

Year: 2013 Make: Nissan
Model: LEAF Trim Level: SL
Made In: UNITED STATES Style: HATCHBACK 4-DR
Has Bose audio package.

Received 7500$ off offer letter just 2 days ago but the deal is specified from March 1 to April 1 (i.e today).

I have very low mileage of under 22K.

What are all the options I have? Any pointers? I was thinking to do research only during Sep/Oct time frame but wondering using the 7500$ off is a better option?

Thanks in advance.

LeftieBiker said:
So, theoretically, I might be able to find a dealer who would add $1500 to the $7500 incentive, because they get a larger rebate from Nissan? I'm a little confused on this...

Exactly! I read about it last year in the following article:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1098384_2012-2013-nissan-leaf-electric-cars-get-5000-lease-buyout-credit

In remembering the article, I asked NMAC while on the phone verifying the $7,500 incentive. They said this was indeed true. After driving to 5 different dealerships I was able to land the whopper of a deal! ;)

Mind you, I almost gave up. So much so that I went grocery shopping before imagining I would be in and out within minutes, refusal in hand. Instead, however, 2.5hrs later I was out with ownership papers in hand and borderline groceries! :eek:

TimLee said:
djkjmuoh said:
... Day 2, Dealer #5: Al Piemonte Nissan; Melrose Park, IL: Current Payoff Value $17,143 - $7,500 = $9,643 + $300 Purchase Fee = $9,943 - $1,500 Dealer "RPM" Incentive = $8,443 + Tax/Title/Doc Fees
What is this?

Possible dealer is short on their sales requirement for the month?
Need to get the sale to get significant monthly payment from Nissan, and they are willing to share some of those $ to make the sale?

But whatever it is, a great deal.
Congratulations :D

See my most recent other reply to LeftieBiker and check out this article...

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1098384_2012-2013-nissan-leaf-electric-cars-get-5000-lease-buyout-credit

That's how I got it done! And yes, probably just needed to hit numbers since I did go March 30th... end of month, end of quarter, possibly end of Nissan fiscal year.

Thanks for sharing that experience with us.

I guess, the longer you are able to wait into 2016, the deals are only going to get better.

The deals, yes, but I imagine that selection will drop sharply after Labor Day. I want to be able to, at worst, choose between two or three of colors that I like, and definitely have to have Premium Package on my next SV. So I figure Memorial Day weekend will offer the best combination of selection with fairly good deals, Labor Day weekend will offer less selection but better still deals, and Thanksgiving week will offer the best deals, but with poor selection. So I'll check out the Memorial Day sale (after removing my spare tire and battery maintainer lead, or at least the tire), but unless I get a great deal then, will wait until Labor Day weekend.

djkjmuoh said:
LeftieBiker said:
So, theoretically, I might be able to find a dealer who would add $1500 to the $7500 incentive, because they get a larger rebate from Nissan? I'm a little confused on this...

In remembering the article, I asked NMAC while on the phone verifying the $7,500 incentive. They said this was indeed true. After driving to 5 different dealerships I was able to land the whopper of a deal! ;)

Mind you, I almost gave up. So much so that I went grocery shopping before imagining I would be in and out within minutes, refusal in hand. Instead, however, 2.5hrs later I was out with ownership papers in hand and borderline groceries! :eek:

Thanks for the info. I'm going to make sure I let my dealer know that it's the least they can do to pass that over to me since I got the worst lease deal in the history of LEAFdom.

I'm contemplating buying out my Leaf if I can get the deal you got. Can you post or PM the name of who you dealt with Al Piemonte. The dealer where I bought my car, Rosen Nissan, is no longer around. Thanks!

r1234567 said:
I'm contemplating buying out my Leaf if I can get the deal you got. Can you post or PM the name of who you dealt with Al Piemonte. The dealer where I bought my car, Rosen Nissan, is no longer around. Thanks!

A few folks have PM'd me regarding this and I'd be happy to pass along his info! Please send me a PM and I'll pass the details on to you. Good luck LEAF'ers.

Hi - I've got a 2013 LEAF SL that's at the end of the lease term. I'm considering buying it - total price would be about $13,000 including tax and licensing. Seems comparable to prices I've seen online.

Other option is to extend the lease another year (have to verify if that's possible) as one friend suggested LEAF value may go down even more this year with release of the Bolt and Tesla 3. This would also give me another year to wait until the 2017s with longer range come out.

Question is whether I want to own the car I have for the next 5-7 years or if extending the lease would be better to allow for other options to emerge over the next year...

Of course, I could also turn it in and try to find a better deal on an 2013 LEAF S model. Have seen some for about $10K.

Any thoughts/suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Norman

If your payment is good, then extending is probably the best option. Just keep in mind that the bumper to bumper warranty will end with this year, and any repairs that don't involve the drivetrain will be out of your pocket. I just extended my lease again, and have 6 weeks to get my cell phone bluetooth unit repaired and the accessory battery replaced under warranty.

LeftieBiker said:
If your payment is good, then extending is probably the best option. Just keep in mind that the bumper to bumper warranty will end with this year, and any repairs that don't involve the drivetrain will be out of your pocket. I just extended my lease again, and have 6 weeks to get my cell phone bluetooth unit repaired and the accessory battery replaced under warranty.

Thanks for the response - why do you think extending is best? Is it because Leaf value is predicted to drop significantly in next year? Or is it because of warranty? Have you considered buying your Leaf? My lease payment is $315/mo, with 5 year loan, would be $234/mo. Thanks!

I'm turning in my 13 at the end of May, I am negotiating with dealerships now for a replacement. So far, the best prices that I've gottten are on the remaining 2015's out there, that information belongs in another thread. But...

Hypothetically, Nissan is offering a $500 waiver on excess damage, or overage on mileage, as an incentive to lease/buy another Nissan. Lets say that a person (me) had is original EVSE charging cable/cord upgraded when I had leased my 2012 and wanted to keep it. Couldn't they just not turn in an EVSE when they returned the vehicle? I asked the inspection dude what Nissan was charging, told him that I was thinking about keeping one and why. He said that the price used to be $1200, but now it is down to $840 (or something close to that).

I guess I was thinking that it wouldn't be that bad of a price after the incentive. And maybe the bigger question, that I don't know is, will this EVSE work on any other electric car, providing that it had the J1772 orifice? Like a Chevy Bolt? Or a Tesla?

I know that mine is only upgraded to charge the 2012's to the maximum, and are not as fast as they can be upgrade to. But it is still a heck of a lot faster than charging at 120, and I use it on a regular basis, at multiple locations. For me, at least at one location, I would have to upgrade wiring in the building, to be able to use the more powerful EVSE. So having a newer EVSE to the (2013's and newer) maximum may not be a cost efficient option either.

Sorry about not using all the correct electrical terminology, I know I am making some people that read this cringe, please be gentle in responding. It's just now something that I talk about every day, hence me not being an expert on the lingo.

Thanks for any responses that will be helpful.

Redjr said:
Hypothetically, Nissan is offering a $500 waiver on excess damage, or overage on mileage, as an incentive to lease/buy another Nissan.

There no waiver applied to "overage on mileage"..the $500 waiver only applies to excess wear and tear..

Sorry about not using all the correct electrical terminology, I know I am making some people that read this cringe, please be gentle in responding. It's just now something that I talk about every day, hence me not being an expert on the lingo.

You are using the correct term (EVSE or "charging cable"). I'd use "thus" rather than "hence" as the former refers to cause and effect, while the latter refers to just sequence of events. ;-) Anyway, the usual approach to keeping an upgraded EVSE is to look for a used OEM EVSE on Ebay. Some people also offer here to trade for an OEM unit, plus cash. Just turning in the upgraded unit is great for the next owner, but is a waste of money.

djkjmuoh said:
LeftieBiker said:

I just noticed that my delivery date was also 6/21/13 and I'm in the same situation. My original plan was to turn the car in due to my payoff amount of around $17k. I was never notified by NMAC of the $7500 offer, but called and confirmed that it applies and now I'm reconsidering purchasing my Leaf. I might try to see if I can get the same deal with the additional $1500 off. Purchasing seems like an attractive option now:

Purchase Leaf (34k miles) for under 10k (even less if I can get that additional $1500 off).
Possibly set up the loan for 3 years.
I don't have to pay any money out of pocket now.
No need for inspection.
Now I have something I can trade in if needed.
I already upgraded my charging cable through EVSE Upgrade and have my dedicated charging port at home.
I don't have to worry about mileage anymore.
Downside is that the warranty will have expired.

If I turn it in, I will need to pay something out of pocket no matter what car I choose.
Would have to get the car inspected.
Would likely see if I can trade my upgraded cable to someone else to get a stock cable to turn in with Leaf.

Dealer did have some Leaf S lease deals for $260, but that required a $4k down payment I believe (that would have to come down).

I was also looking at the Fiat 500e. Local dealer (Sacramento, CA area) has a $59/mo. lease deal on a few in stock (if they really exist).
That would require 4k down though, so maybe I could put less down and increase the payment.
This deal only allows for 10k miles per year and I would need to increase that causing the payment to increase.
The Fiat is also much smaller and not sure if it fits my needs.

[/quote]

Anyway, the usual approach to keeping an upgraded EVSE is to look for a used OEM EVSE on Ebay. [/quote]

Thank you, I hadn't thought that used EVSE's would be available, and reasonably priced, with a vehicle so new to the consumer. This is a great find for what I want to accomplish.

My lease was up this coming September, but I've been contacted twice now from NMAC about the $7500 discount if I purchase it. The most recent call said the offer was good through May 5th.

So after years of telling everyone I know to lease, not buy, an electric car, I went to the dealer and purchased my Leaf. My buyout price was about $14,800 with the 6 payments remaining, so after the fees, sales tax, and title, the purchase price was a hair over $8000. That's a pretty darn good deal if you ask me. That's on a 2013 SV with no options, and I paid $214 a month with $1000 down for the lease.

I called around to 6+ local dealers and nobody would recognize the extra $1500 mentioned a few posts above. As a matter of fact, no dealer, other than the one I originally leased from, would even touch the lease buyout.

I plan on doing a Nissan extended warranty through Nissan of Santa Rosa.

I plan on doing a Nissan extended warranty through Nissan of Santa Rosa.

I intend to lease a new SV this Summer of Fall, but I might possibly consider buying mine if I can also buy a cheap extended warranty - I won't pay $200 a month for a car with no bumper to bumper warranty. Please let is know what you end up paying.

Back