Enable remote climate control even when not plugged in.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stunt822

Huge reason to have Leaf for me - have it warm and ready for me before I jump in - have remote control of climate control. And this has to be possible even if Leaf is not plugged in. It may be limited to 5 minutes for example (if you turn it on and forget - it will shut off in 5 min), but please let my car get warm even if not plugged in.

A Nissan rep I spoke with at the Santa Monica event last month told me the remote climate control will only work when plugged in. I guess they're afraid if they let it run when unplugged some clueless individuals might run out of batteries by so doing. But I agree that would be really nice - even if it's time-limited to just 5 minutes it would still help a lot. Come on Nissan, surely you could do that.

At the event in Portland, the Nissan rep specifically stated that the pre-heat/cool can be set without the car being plugged in. The example he gave was if you stopped by the mall and decided you were getting ready to leave you could use your phone to temporarily activate the climate control. Doesn't matter if you're plugged in or not.

First, we've found that a number of these people at these events are temps, so unless you were sure it was a real Nissan person, the info is suspect.

I believe the car will do remote climate control when not plugged in. A while back there was a japanese video that showed a guy demoing the car to some folks and he specifically showed them the remote climate control while the car was not plugged in. Just recently we got access to the Quick Reference manual (http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1711) and on page 5 it states you need Carwings, cell service, and a smart phone or computer. It says nothing about needing to be plugged in.

We won't know for 100% certainty until we get the full user's manual, but all signs so far point to "yes"

I would certainly hope so!

How useless would that be, to pre-set the cabin temperature in the one place where it needs it least: Your garage!

I'd want this feature out-and-about. Getting off work, leaving the store..

Hope it is there and stays then. Gives me more desire to keep my reservation.

I used to have remote start on my car in Russia, and i totally forgot what it feels to jump in cold car, thanks to that. I hated to burn gas idling, but my butt is more valuable to me:) Hopefully with Leaf I will be able to achieve the same, but with zero emissions!

Stunt822 said:
Huge reason to have Leaf for me - have it warm and ready for me before I jump in - have remote control of climate control. And this has to be possible even if Leaf is not plugged in. It may be limited to 5 minutes for example (if you turn it on and forget - it will shut off in 5 min), but please let my car get warm even if not plugged in.

It can do this. Look at the manual, p. 2

http://home.earthlink.net/~michael_walsh/images/11MY LEAF NAM PQRG_AsPrinted_110510.pdf

awallis said:
Stunt822 said:

It can do this. Look at the manual, p. 2

http://home.earthlink.net/~michael_walsh/images/11MY LEAF NAM PQRG_AsPrinted_110510.pdf

"Remote charge and remote climate control – Set a time to start battery charging or to turn on your climate controls. Remote functions are only available when the following conditions are met: Optional CARWINGS™ subscription service has been established. Your vehicle and smart phone are in a compatible cell phone coverage area and your personal computer is connected to the internet."

Well, since it doesn't mention that it has to be plugged in, the implication is that remote climate control can run unplugged, but it doesn't come right out and say it either. Personally, I would find it much more logical to have these functions on the keyfob, then I wouldn't have to be in a cellular service area and rely on a subscription service. Why should the car transmit to some third party who then relays the data to my phone when it could communicate directly instead? And who needs to check their car's charge status and start remote climate control when they're 500 miles away anyway? The keyfob's transmission range is more than sufficient. Oops, there I go off-topic...

The RFID range is short (ten feet), but the typical Lock/Unlock range might be about a hundred feet.

Special Auto-Alarm two-way Remotes sometimes have about a thousand foot range.

With the Cell-Phone connection, one can be inside a large building, hotel, mall, or stadium, or be many blocks away from the L2 charging location, and still be able to check your LEAF's status.

johnr is right, the QRG doesn't come right out and say you can do it when it's unplugged, and the rep at my Leaf test drive clearly said it can only do it when plugged in "for safety reasons." I don't think we will be able to do it on these first versions. In my climate area it won't make much difference. In the morning is when it's cold and it will be plugged in at home, so I can pre-heat it. By 10 AM or so it's almost never cold enough for that to be a problem and if there's any sun, the interior will be plenty warm even on a near-freezing day. Cooling on the other hand would be nice as it does get >100 degrees at times during the day when I'm away from home, but I've never had a car that precools before, so I'm sure I won't feel deprived. I just open the windows for a couple of minutes, then turn on the A/C when I get in. FWIW, this morning I had to scrape frost off my windshield, and when the squeegee didn't do it, I ran the hose on it, only to have the sheet of water freeze solid. I had to run the engine until the defrost softened it, so it gets cold enough here to make preheat desirable, but when I get the Leaf my wife will park in the driveway and I'll get the garage. I suspect that this issue may be addressed better when the cold weather package is available. This is probably one of many reasons why Nissan started with a warm climate version.

Back