Electronic Parking Brake failure $3,543 repair quote

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob said:
If the parking brake is required for safety and the car is unsafe without a working parking brake, then it seems that you have a good case to bring up to the Nissan regional manager about your car being unsafe. Although the warranty for normal things expires after 3 years, safety issues should be covered longer.
Good argument. I'll remember that when I want my worn out tyres replaced...

...hmmmm......

If the part carried a defect at manufacture then you can seek a remedy for up to 6 years, in the UK. If the defect occurs within 6 months it is presumed the fault was present at manufacture, unless the manufacturer proves otherwise. If the fault occurs after, it is for you to prove.

Any other 'warranty terms' depend on what the contract was that you both agreed to (e.g. a 'three year warranty' may have the effect of extending the 6mth presumption to 3yrs).

This doesn't obviously fall into the category of a fault at manufacture. This falls into the category of greedy, or careless, parts price setting.

A quick update for you, Nissan GB have changed the pricing for this part, it is now only $1,322 :roll:

I've ordered the part from the USA so it should be here within a week or so. Does anyone know from the service manual whether I can simply fit the new module and it will work right away, or does it need to go to the dealer for them to do some magic with Consult?

I think the codes will have to be reset.
But you can do that yourself using LEAF Spy Pro.
See the other parking brake actuator thread:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=17757&hilit=parking+brake&start=0#p386055" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Be sure you know what you are doing and be very careful if doing it yourself.
The 2011 / 2012 emergency power capacitor is potentially very dangerous.

I had tried resetting the codes with Leafspy but it either wasn't able to do it, or the code was re set instantly.

I managed to get the faulty unit out ok, but I can understand your warning, there's lots of potential for HV danger in that hump...

Bit of an update for anyone interested. I ordered the part from the USA, fitted it in my car, couldn't reset the codes in leafspy. Trundled off the dealer, they cannot reset the codes/set up the module. Consult said "incorrect control unit or model year"

So it looks like I have no option now but to pay the "reduced price" of $1,470 for the Nissan garage to supply and fit a working module :cry:

Flaninacupboard said:
Bit of an update for anyone interested. I ordered the part from the USA, fitted it in my car, couldn't reset the codes in leafspy. Trundled off the dealer, they cannot reset the codes/set up the module. Consult said "incorrect control unit or model year"
Sounds like cobblers to me. If it fits I doubt it won't work!

Problem is that there are too few, if any, independent folks to agree or doubt what you are being told.

Sounds like programmed-in protectionism to me.

Flaninacupboard said:
So it looks like I have no option now but to pay the "reduced price" of $1,470 for the Nissan garage to supply and fit a working module :cry:
Is the part number of the component you got from the US identical to the part the UK dealer will be ordering and installing?
If so it is very unlikely that the UK dealer part will work either. More likely something is wrong in harness or corrupted in the vehicle software that interfaces with the part. Might not be anything wrong with the original part.

But if part number is different, it may be that you got the wrong part from US.
Did you have them confirm it is the right part for your VIN?
Using only model year would be a bad idea.
Model year in US does not correlate well with model years outside US.

I guess there is some possibility that UK model had unique component that does not match US component.
But that seems unlikely for the parking brake.

Just a quick update, the dealer supplied module is now in, and the brake still doesn't work, they believe a new actuator is needed. I've seen a price of $700 quoted, so makes me think it will actually be about £2,000

I'll let you all know what happens next...!

I was very glad to see Nissan switch to the foot actuated PB. Who needs an electric one? I wonder if the foot lever can be retrofitted onto the 2011. It pulls a cable-- somebody had to be able to rig something up!

SteveInSeattle said:
I was very glad to see Nissan switch to the foot actuated PB. Who needs an electric one? ...
I disagree :eek:
The lame foot operated parking brake and the black only leather seats were the two factors that drove my decision to NOT trade-in my 2011 for a 2013 :!:

TimLee said:
SteveInSeattle said:
I was very glad to see Nissan switch to the foot actuated PB. Who needs an electric one? ...
I disagree :eek:
The lame foot operated parking brake and the black only leather seats were the two factors that drove my decision to NOT trade-in my 2011 for a 2013 :!:

+1

Unfortunately, I had no choice--I had to replace my 2011. I used the parking brake nearly every time I parked the 2011 and had no problems in 3-1/2 years. It even worked after the car was hit hard from behind. I am getting used to the black leather seats, but the parking brake pedal takes up space under the dash and I fear that it will not be reliable. A week or so ago, there were popping noises when I applied the parking brake. Since then, the pedal must be pressed closer to the floor to get the parking brake to hold the car. I am waiting to see if it gets worse before taking it to the dealer.

Gerry

Back