Electrical Contractor - LA area

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VikeKen

Hello all:

I have a delivery date in April and I need to get an EVSE installed.

I have had the AV installation quote and it is well over $3000.00. I think this is not reasonable even though I probably am not the easiest installation.
Is there anyone in the LA area (I like in the San Fernando Valley) who has an electrician/electrical contractor who could do the installation?
Perhaps someone in the area has had the AV cash-and-carry installed by someone who was competent and reasonably priced as well.

Thank you for your anticipated responses and help.

VikeKen, I use the Electric Connection located in the Valley. They do all of LA. They were referred to me by another forum member and they also did his install. I'm happy to recommend them. Their number is 818/446-0888 (ask for Kim or Bob). I had a complicated install so it came to $2300 (which was still $1000 less than AV's quote). The forum member who recommended them had a simpler install. His was around $500 I believe. good luck!

malloryk said:
I use the Electric Connection located in the Valley. They do all of LA. They were referred to me by another forum member and they also did his install. I'm happy to recommend them. Their number is 818/446-0888 (ask for Kim or Bob). I had a complicated install so it came to $2300 (which was still $1000 less than AV's quote).
Did you go with the AV charger, or another brand? How do you like it?

Stoaty said:
malloryk said:
I use the Electric Connection located in the Valley. They do all of LA. They were referred to me by another forum member and they also did his install. I'm happy to recommend them. Their number is 818/446-0888 (ask for Kim or Bob). I had a complicated install so it came to $2300 (which was still $1000 less than AV's quote).
Did you go with the AV charger, or another brand? How do you like it?

I went with AV. Works fine, haven't had any problems with it.

Just got a quote from Electric Connection to install AV EVSE. While it is more than I had hoped, it is probably reasonable given the work that needs to be done in my condo parking garage:

1) A 4-8 sub panel will be installed on the wood board to the right of the existing meters
2) Power will be fed to the sub panel from existing 90 amp circuit for for my unit
3) A 40 amp line will be run from the subpanel to the wall to the right of my parking spaces, probably about 50 feet

Costs:

Install sub panel and backfeed to existing 90 amp circuit - 1512
Install 40 amp line to charging dock (? 50 feet or perhaps a bit more) - 715
Permit - 125
AV EVSE purchase price - 721
California Tax on EVSE - 72 (approximate)
Shipping EVSE - 49

Total - 3194

The subpanel has to be installed because the panel in my unit is on the opposite side of the building and on the second floor--quite far from the meters. The conduit running up there has twists and turns and the electrician didn't think it would be possible to get wire safely run to the panel in my unit.

Any thoughts on whether these prices are reasonable? I know nothing about this type of work. Thanks.

Thanks for posting this information about what the cost might be. We have a condo as well and eventually will be looking into what it would cost to do something similar. Did Electric Connection charge you to come out and do an estimate?

Kataphn said:
Did Electric Connection charge you to come out and do an estimate?
No. They came out and made a bid after spending about 30 minutes talking with me, inspecting the panel, etc. They are certified--by Nissan or AV or both, not sure--to install the AV EVSE.

Stoaty said:
3) A 40 amp line will be run from the subpanel to the wall to the right of my parking spaces, probably about 50 feet

Costs:
Install 40 amp line to charging dock (? 50 feet or perhaps a bit more) - 715

Any thoughts on whether these prices are reasonable? I know nothing about this type of work. Thanks.

I had a licensed (not A/V) electrician run conduit for maybe 6 feet from the main panel, through the garage wall, and mount the A/V charger, as well as install a dedicated 30 amp 120-volt outlet for the trickle charger: total cost $750. Your price to run ~50 feet of conduit seems more than reasonable to me. Can't speak to the rest of your bid.

Get a bid from a local Electrical Contractor / Certified Electritian for the same work. The $2227 sounds about high to me, unless there are complications that you did not describe. But, just my guess.

garygid said:
Get a bid from a local Electrical Contractor / Certified Electritian for the same work. The $2227 sounds about high to me, unless there are complications that you did not describe.
A good idea. Note that although this contractor does do work through AV, the quote given was for me buying the EVSE and them installing it without AV involvement. I imagine it would have been quite a bit more if done through AV.

hmmm does sound a bit high although I don't really know. I think you should get another estimate, why not? It shouldn't cost for the estimate and you have time. When does your car come? I thought the price that Electric Connection gave me was fair but a friend who knows about such things told me it was a bit high. But I was in a time crunch as I needed to get it in by the end of 2010 and they came in $1000 under AV so I was happy with it. Good luck, Stoaty!

Kataphn, maybe give Stoaty that guy's number from the Santa Monica panel. He did EVnation's install at his apt. and gave him a really good price.

malloryk said:
Kataphn, maybe give Stoaty that guy's number from the Santa Monica panel. He did EVnation's install at his apt. and gave him a really good price.

I PM'd Stoaty the info but here it is for others: The man's name is William Korthof. His company is Energy Efficient Solutions. His phone number is 714-875-3576. His email is WKorthof@gmail. com
William represented the installer perspective on the panel at the public meeting in Santa Monica that Mallory and I attended. The topic of the meeting was the whole issue about EVSE installation in condo complexes. Lots of animated discussion from the audience. William seemed very knowledgeable. Afterwards, Mallory and I approached him and I made sure I got his card. He has done lots of installs of EVSE and it sounded like at condos, too. I asked Sloaty to keep us posted on his journey with this so we can all learn.

Hopefully William Korthof does installs in my area (West LA). I emailed him, and will post additional information if/when he is able to give me a quote.

Energy Efficient Solutions was registered as a fictitious business name in San Francisco in Dec, 2010 by William Korthof. Sounds like it may be a bit far for him to come to do the install :(

Stoaty said:
Energy Efficient Solutions was registered as a fictitious business name in San Francisco in Dec, 2010 by William Korthof. Sounds like it may be a bit far for him to come to do the install :(
"714" however is a Southern California Area Code, so he may be closer than you think! :) :)

I know Bill Korthof personally (and his parents). He does work in many places across the state. He (and the parents) is an EVangelist and uses his talents in various ways (solar, EVs, etc). Call him, you will enjoy the experience. :)

Stoaty said:

Stoaty, he did EVNation's (member on this forum) install and he lives in Santa Monica so he should be able to do yours. Let us know what happens!

I emailed William Korthof a week ago, haven't heard back. Got a quote from an electrician who was recommended by my plumber of 10 years. Here is his estimate:

--about 4 hours work at $140 per hour = $560
--materials about $100

So he is guessing around $660 plus the fee for the permit. He didn't give me a firm bid, but seems honest. Licensed, bonded, insured, self-employed and recommended by someone I trust. His estimate is $1567 cheaper. Even if it took him 2 hours longer than he estimated, it would still be just $940. He also noted that the location suggested by the other electrician would be prone to being damaged if someone (not me, of course) pulled into my parking space carelessly. He suggested a couple of other locations, which I will probably go with if the 25 foot charging cord can reach the Leaf from there. I have two other electricians coming a week from today. Once I get all of the estimates I will make my decision. I will post more info about my experience once I get my install done. While this electrician hasn't installed an EV charging dock, after looking at the manual briefly he thought it was pretty straightforward.

Back