Electric lawnmowers

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also have a Neuton 5.3 rechargeable, but unlike the other reviewer I don't have any problems with it and actually fired my gardener shortly after buying it. Sure, its a bummer that it weighs 40LBS including the NiCad battery but what isn't a bummer is that the blade is nice and sharp, makes half the noise, and the battery has enough juice after a year of weekly mowing to still finish my front and back yards.

Oh yeah, and zero emissions :)

I think has been mentioned a few times in the thread. I have this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YK4UZU/ref=oh_o00_s00_i00_details" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; since April of this year. I had push reel mower, but it did not mulch leaves very well and the cutting height was not high enough for St Augustine. It has worked well for me. It mulches my grass really well. The thick areas you have to run the clippings a few times to fully mulch them. This model and the self-propelled models were top rated by Consumer Reports for rechargeable mowers. If you decide to get this one from amazon, UPS just left it setting on my porch. It is shipped in the retail box.

Seems that green / electric lawn tools are going to take off in the coming two years, including some promising technical improvements for better power, performance and run time.

Core Outdoor Power Launches State-of-the-art Line of GasLess™ Outdoor Power Equipment
Product availability early 2012, more products in 2013. They use Lithium battery packs.
http://coreoutdoorpower.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Core_products_CGT400Trimmer-288x160.jpg

Core_products_Hedger-288x160.jpg

Core_products_Blower-288x160.jpg

Core_products_Mower-288x160.jpg

Core_products_BackpackBlower-288x160.jpg

Core Outdoor Power’s product line features a new motor that utilizes patented technology known as Conductor Optimized Rotary Energy, “CORE.” The technology eliminates wire windings and iron laminations found in traditional electric motors and replaces them with a printed circuit board stator that cooperates with permanent magnet rotors to optimize the generated power. The use of CORE motors in these products enables them to produce a high-torque rotary motion at very high efficiency levels, which leads to longer run times and unmatched performance.
I believe this will translate into a compact, high torque motor so it be revolutionary for Electric Vehicle applications but will improve application like weed whackers, mowers, blowers, etc. where high torque is needed with low to medium RPM. The high torque eliminates the need for a gear reduction or gear box for some applications.
home_stator1.jpg

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrnA3YnqZ3s[/youtube]
http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/10/prweb8912864.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here's are the Battery Electric Zero Turn riding mowers "Green Mowchine" using flooded lead acid batteries. There working on a commercial version for 2012 that will support battery swapping for all day operation in commercial use.
http://www.meangreenproducts.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ResidentialRX50.jpg

Note the green lawn tools earn LEED, Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, earn LEED building points! So businesses or homeowners getting LEED ratings have a solid incentive to use electric lawn tools.
http://www.cleanairlawncare.com/press_9.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stihl has a line of 36 Volt Lithium Ion tools:
UL.jpg

STIHL Lithium-Ion Products
http://www.stihlusa.com/lithiumion/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
FSA65_85.jpg

http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FSA65.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/FSA85.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BGA85_susa.jpg

http://www.stihlusa.com/blowers/BGA85.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HSA65prod.jpg

http://www.stihlusa.com/hedgetrimmers/HSA65.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
msa160_susa.jpg

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MSA160.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

STIHL LITHIUM-ION BATTERIES AND CHARGERS
ap80.jpg
ap160.jpg
al.jpg

http://www.stihlusa.com/Li-Ion/accessories.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Clean Air Lawn Care is a lawn care service with dozen of franchises across the US, many of them in California. Looks like quite a few opportunities to start a franchise also.
CLEAN AIR LAWN CARE CLEAN, QUIET & ORGANIC

We now offer an all-natural, organic treatment & fertilization program to ensure your yard is beautiful and safe for your children, pets, & waterways
We use clean, electric equipment powered by renewable energy
•Electric mowers emit 3,300 times less hydrocarbons, 5,000 times less CO, one-fifth as much NOx as gas lawn mowers.
•Emissions are reduced to zero when run on renewable energy
•Electric equipment is 50 - 70% quieter than gas-powered lawn equipment

Our electric equipment is charged using solar panels mounted on our trucks and wind energy powering our shops
We run our larger mowers on locally produced biofuels
All of our greenhouse gas emissions are offset by wind power and carbon offsets purchased from Carbonfund.org to ensure our entire operation is carbon-neutral
http://www.cleanairlawncare.com/sust_what.html

TomT said:
Since I only paid about $170 for the mower, if and when it becomes time to replace the battery, I'll just get a whole new unit
Given that the AQMD discount program requires the trade-in of an existing gas mower, how do you intend to do this? Pick up an old gas mower at a garage sale?

z0ner said:
I also have a Neuton 5.3 rechargeable, but unlike the other reviewer I don't have any problems with it and actually fired my gardener shortly after buying it. Sure, its a bummer that it weighs 40LBS including the NiCad battery but what isn't a bummer is that the blade is nice and sharp, makes half the noise, and the battery has enough juice after a year of weekly mowing to still finish my front and back yards.

Oh yeah, and zero emissions :)
I too have a Neuton 5.3 mower from an AQMD mower swap. I've had it for about 2.5 years, it's still working fine on the original battery (I only mow about every 3 weeks except in spring). I don't use the bagger, just the plug and let it mulch. I concur that it's much quieter (and less stinky) to mow now. Only complaints? The cutting width (AQMD didn't offer the 19" blade version during that swap), the weight (makes it a bit less maneuverable than I'd like) and the lack of a folding handle (my garage is space-constrained).

Certainly I'd recommend them if you can get them at an event like the AQMD mower swap.

z0ner said:
We've also been using the larger Neuton 6.3 for three years without problems. I don't attempt to mow wet or dewy grass grass with it, but then, I've never had good luck mowing with any type of mower unless the grass is dry. I find the handle switch mechanism entirely fine compared to gas mower interlocks, although I must admit that it took a while to get used to after 28 years using a 2-cycle Lawnboy without any interlock mechanisms at all.

When done with mowing, we first remove the battery (to reduce weight) and then fold the handle so the mower can be stored vertically, leaning against the garage wall. While we have two batteries, one has thus far been sufficient for an hour's worth of mowing. If I had it to over again, I would also consider one of the B&D models which can also be operated on a cord for those times when I've been lazy and let the grass get way too long. Full amperage 100% of the time is needed to get through the tall grass in a single pass without bogging down.

Like the Leaf, having an electric mower also means not having to buy gas, change oil, clean the spark plug or endure coaxing it back to life in the Spring with ether and my "armstrong" starter.

I got the cheapest corded mower I could find and a couple of 25 ft extension cords. Actually got the mower used for about $60 on Craigslist - new one costs about $160-$200. Converted it to "mulching" by blocking the bagger door - that way all the lawn trimmings go back into the lawn reducing the need for fertilizer.

Biggest reason for going corded: Cost - A decent cordless will cost twice as much - and we all know how important battery management is for long life of batteries - very few of these cordless tools have that so you'll be buying more expensive batteries in no time.

So unless you have a lot of lawn to cut where pulling a cord around is a huge hassle - corded is the way to go. Cheaper, no batteries to replace and no batteries to worry about keeping charged.

The cord very rarely gets in the way - just make sure you work your way away from where you plug in. No big deal.

Now if I could figure out how to avoid spraying clippings over the sidewalk to avoid sweeping those up when I'm done mowing, I'd be super happy! Takes nearly as long to sweep up the misc clippings and toss them into the lawn as it does to mow the lawn. Am tempted to buy a cheap corded electric leaf blower just for this task but I figure I need the exercise anyway. :p

We are in the market for a new mower, hopefully getting rid of our gas powered one for electric. Does anyone have any current recommendations for a cordless mower for a typical suburban yard in Northern California?
Thanks, Becky

Yep, that is exactly what I did. It cost me 10 bucks for a crappy old one...

ahagge said:
TomT said:
Since I only paid about $170 for the mower, if and when it becomes time to replace the battery, I'll just get a whole new unit
Given that the AQMD discount program requires the trade-in of an existing gas mower, how do you intend to do this? Pick up an old gas mower at a garage sale?

Becky50 said:
We are in the market for a new mower, hopefully getting rid of our gas powered one for electric. Does anyone have any current recommendations for a cordless mower for a typical suburban yard in Northern California?
Thanks, Becky
Our Newton still works well and generally finishes both front and rear lawns on a single battery. If we were again shopping for an electric mower, I would seriously consider some of the newer B&D models rated well by Consumer Reports. Optional use of a cord is an advantage when conditions and battery charge demand, but the ability to remove the Newton's battery makes charging and vertical storage more convenient.

Becky50 said:
Thanks, Becky
I'm pretty happy with the Homelite I bought at Home Depot last summer. I like the removable battery and added a second one from Home Depot online for $99. But I will say it was recently in the shop. Here is a thread from last year in which we discussed electric lawnmowers.

I got a Homelite corded electric mower last month at Home Depot. Only mowed twice with it but loving the not stinking of exhaust and gas when I'm done. Need to do it again before it SNOWS again on Thursday... <damn weather>.

Picked up a Solaris mower a couple of years back. Not sure they make them anymore. At the time it was the only electric mower I could find with a decent size that also had a self-propelled feature -- which really helps on those hilly sections of our property. This year it was time for a fresh set of (lead) batteries. Thought about going with Lithium but I wussed out. Got a pair of Panasonic SLAs; might go a bit longer than the no-name originals. If the mower and motor outlive this set I will likely upgrade to Lithium next time around. Would be great for making the thing lighter.

Just as with the LEAF, it's a joy to not have to deal with gasoline, fumes, cranking and oil changes. Much quieter than a gasoline mower and you smell fresh cut grass instead of exhaust. We've got a fairly large yard so hauling a heavy 100-foot extension cord around would have gotten old fast.

My electric mower was the first step in the direction of the LEAF. I got an electric mower (Earthwise 24V) last spring, an electric snow blower (24" Ariens AMP) in the fall, and then I got my LEAF in January. I might not get another Earthwise because now that I know I like electric yard equipment I might get something nicer next time, but I'm glad I decided to get the mower last year. My wife's car is the only gas powered equipment we own.

There was a series of electric lawn tractors made between 1969 and 1983 by GE, Wheel Horse and Avco New Idea - often you can either restore or rebuild them as it's (usually) very simplistic switch, relay and contactor technology run by 36 VDC lead-acid golf cart batteries. In addition to the mower deck, they also made a variety of power attachments and tools such as roto-tillers, brooms and snowblowers.

We've been using an EGT-120 for several years now and it's amazing how durable these electrically driven mowers are.

I have a WORX 788. It is a great electric push mower. It has a removable battery that I can store in the house during the winter. The only issue is that I had one AGM battery go "bad". It still works, but it doesn't fully charge. They sent me a replacement battery since it was under warranty.

Has anyone converted one of these mowers to LiFePO4? I have .75 acres of grass and the current battery does a great job, but would prefer less range anxiety ;).

I had the neuton 5.2 for quite a few years (5-6ish?). A smaller mower compared to the 6, but it was half off through a program so I couldn't complain. I did dislike the use of Lead Acid batteries not only are bad environmental wise, but don't have as much power (torque-wise), are HEAVY, and take FOREVER to charge. After the battery started to run down, I switched to the Ryobi lithium mower.

I can say I have been quite impressed with this one. While slightly heavier frame than the 5.2 (which is very light for any mower), the total package with battery is SUPER light - so much so I actually noticed it quite a bit. While still on the smaller cut size, its bigger than the 5.2 neuton and the batteries have nice power to them and recharge in ~2 hours from dead. I currently use the 18v outdoor power equipment (trimmer, chainsaw, hedger), but will probably upgrade those to use the 40v when they break down (more power, RAR!).

That all aside, I like the fold-down of the ryobi plus the handle for carrying when folded down for storage or transport. The mulching is better on the ryobi for sure (most likely due to the extra power). I did consider going other brands, but have enjoyed the options with the ryobi brand - I can definitely get addition use out of the 40v batteries

I recently replaced my 120V Black and Decker with a used Neuton. I have eliminated most of the grass so I can mow in about 30 minutes. Mine is 24V and has plenty of power to cut Bahia in central Fla. St.Augustine would be tougher, but It does the job. I'll go a little slower to lose the cord. My dad (in his 80's) mowed the front one day and the back the next. We used to laugh at people the paid to work out and paid someone to mow their lawn.

Back