Ecotality or LA DWP?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wanted to bring this thread back to life because I recently received a strange call out of the blue from Ecotality and wanted to see if anybody else has had a similar experience. I had my unit installed prior to LA DWP's rebate program changes but now Ecotality just called (8 months later) saying they need to come out again to hardwire the unit (no more plug) plus install a second meter in order to comply with DWP.

I told him that it finally past inspection (7 months and two visits later) and that I had no interest in starting the process over. After going back and forth for a few minutes, he then hands the phone to another guy sitting next to him and this guy starts telling me they have to do this stuff otherwise they won't get paid by DWP and then he says that they fronted me the money and they have to make these changes in order to get paid. At this point the call starts feeling more like a shakedown than a large corporation. I told him that I don’t want a second meter on my house and that I don’t want it hardwired in case I decide in the future not to have an EVSE. I also told him that I complied with what they wanted when they did the install and was always under the assumption that the program I agreed to was funded by the DOE, not DWP. He abruptly said fine and hung up….

I don’t know if they are trying to somehow double-dip or what, but I found it to be a very weird phone call. I don't know the logistics between Ecotality, DOE, DWP but I don't want to be in the middle of it. I've already had to take multiple days off for them and I'm tired of it.

DTB said:
I wanted to bring this thread back to life because I recently received a strange call out of the blue from Ecotality and wanted to see if anybody else has had a similar experience. I had my unit installed prior to LA DWP's rebate program changes but now Ecotality just called (8 months later) saying they need to come out again to hardwire the unit (no more plug) plus install a second meter in order to comply with DWP.

I told him that it finally past inspection (7 months and two visits later) and that I had no interest in starting the process over. After going back and forth for a few minutes, he then hands the phone to another guy sitting next to him and this guy starts telling me they have to do this stuff otherwise they won't get paid by DWP and then he says that they fronted me the money and they have to make these changes in order to get paid. At this point the call starts feeling more like a shakedown than a large corporation. I told him that I don’t want a second meter on my house and that I don’t want it hardwired in case I decide in the future not to have an EVSE. I also told him that I complied with what they wanted when they did the install and was always under the assumption that the program I agreed to was funded by the DOE, not DWP. He abruptly said fine and hung up….

I don’t know if they are trying to somehow double-dip or what, but I found it to be a very weird phone call. I don't know the logistics between Ecotality, DOE, DWP but I don't want to be in the middle of it. I've already had to take multiple days off for them and I'm tired of it.

It is a public and private venture and the money is most likey mixed.

it is complicated, but I doubt that LADWP will require a second meter to get the EV rate, especially if they installed and have you currently on service without one.
Of course, LADWP does require a second meter if you want to get their rebate. But with EVP, you dont need it.

The LA DWP rebate program does require a second meter and hardwire because they want to track strictly EV usage which is one of the reasons I decided to stick with the Ecotality program.
My big complaint is that Ecotality wants me to comply with these DWP rebate rules plus comply with their rules. I was accepted in the Ecotality program well before DWP even had a program. If I wanted to be part of DWP's program and comply with their requirements I would have used my own electrician and would definitely not have bought the Blink and I wouldn't be on the hook for a two year commitment either.

I just had my unit hardwired by Ecotality. They came and left within 40mins. Simply took the plug out and hardwired it, no document signed, no second meter, very simple. They also swapped out the SD card in the unit, I didn't ask why, don't care as long as it charges my car. I don't use the statistics or anything on the unit...

-Matt

I received a voice-mail while I was out of town at CES from Eddie Blair at Ecotality. Interestingly, the number he left, and which was also on my Caller ID, is answered by a recording as a number at Texas Instruments which is not in use…

I found his email address and sent him a message that my Blink has been in service for the better part of a year now, was inspected and signed off on by L.A. Building and Safety Permits and Inspections, is working well, and thus I do not wish to change it to a hardwire...

We'll see what I hear back...

DTB said:

Back