Ecopia EP422 tires suck

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
abasile said:
Besides range improvement, another reason that I try to run 44 psi is that it reduces shoulder wear from mountain roads. Higher pressure also helps with traction on snow and ice.

i think you will find those points difficult to convince others of due to random internet data with opposing data

DaveinOlyWA said:
abasile said:
Besides range improvement, another reason that I try to run 44 psi is that it reduces shoulder wear from mountain roads. Higher pressure also helps with traction on snow and ice.
i think you will find those points difficult to convince others of due to random internet data with opposing data
With respect to reducing shoulder wear by running at a higher pressure, that seems to be well known advice here in the mountains. Our local, reputable mechanic seems to agree with it, and it's worked for us. The tradeoff is the center of each tire will wear faster, not a problem if shoulder wear is the limiting factor in tire life as it is here.

As for snow, increasing tire pressure helps to focus more vehicle weight on the center of each tire, a bit like driving with narrower tires. This improves the likelihood of the tires penetrating through to a firm road surface rather than floating on top of the snow.

I run 44 psi.
I just replaced all four OEM tires, at 13574 miles. Two front ones were completely bald on the outside shoulder; the two rear ones were almost all worn on the shoulder as well, but one got a big screw in it, so I had to replace them as well.
I also favor the twisties. In the twisties, I drive like I stole it. Everywhere else, I drive like a granny.
Range-wise, where I am, 44 psi makes zero difference in range. (I've kept record since new, Apr 2011; I stopped keeping record last week.)

aqn said:
I run 44 psi.
I just replaced all four OEM tires, at 13574 miles. Two front ones were completely bald on the outside shoulder; the two rear ones were almost all worn on the shoulder as well, but one got a big screw in it, so I had to replace them as well.
I also favor the twisties. In the twisties, I drive like I stole it. Everywhere else, I drive like a granny.
Range-wise, where I am, 44 psi makes zero difference in range. (I've kept record since new, Apr 2011; I stopped keeping record last week.)

If you coasted more, you would definitely see an increase in your miles and m/kW h. When they're inflated to 41-42, I can absolutely coast much farther than at 36.

I have over 20,000 miles on my LEAF. The Bridgestones are showing even wear and should easily go twice that distance. I inflate to 38psi and usually add when they drop to around 36 psi. I have had sidewall blowouts from curbing on previous ICE cars. All low rolling resistance tires have thin sidewalls, it is the nature of the beast.

planet4ever said:
kubel said:
Anyone know of a tire that performs better than the ecrapia, but still has ecrapia-like rolling resistance?
I thought you already asked that question and got an answer on this thread. (See TomT on page 2 of the thread.)

Ray

No one in that thread unfortunately recommended a tire that has better rolling resistance. :/

If ALL you care about is rolling resistance, then by all means get the Ecrapias. If you care at all about everything else a tire is supposed to do, get something else...

DaveinOlyWA said:
I dont u can get better which why everyone uses them but the michelins are liked by most and probably your best alternative

TomT said:
If ALL you care about is rolling resistance, then by all means get the Ecrapias. If you care at all about everything else a tire is supposed to do, get something else...

DaveinOlyWA said:
I dont u can get better which why everyone uses them but the michelins are liked by most and probably your best alternative

dont u have michelins?

So far I really like my MXV4s. Ride is better, much quieter, less road noise transfer, better handling, braking, overall feel is superior. Even at 50 PSi they feel great.

Yep, because I care about more than just rolling resistance... I'm very happy with the MXV4s.

DaveinOlyWA said:
TomT said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
dont u have michelins?

TomT said:

I was just considering the possibility that maybe there's a tire out there that can exceed the Ecrapias in all categories, including rolling resistance. I guess no one has found that tire yet. :(

Just figured I'd chime in here: yeah, I was considerably overwhelmed by how fragile these Ecopias are less than 24 hours after I got my Leaf. Same exact thing - nicked an extra inch of curb while I was still getting used to the characteristics of the car, and moments later, "check tire pressure" and "hey, you know you've got a flat?". Had to have the car towed and that front-passenger tire replaced with just 180 miles on the odometer. :( I replaced it on the cheap just with whatever fit, and it's been awesome ever since... I drive the thing like a racecar and through a ~180-degree freeway onramp, I love how the thing grips the road like it's on rails. Blown some doors off MANY gas-guzzlers in this thing ;)

I also don't have much care for the rolling resistance - next to durability, I'd much rather have a durable tire in a car without a spare. Especially considering this was a sidewall puncture and the whole tire needed to be replaced. Maybe these tires just need better sidewalls...

The Ecrapias :) must have been designed to minimize weight, do you really need that extra 1/8 of rubber on the sidewalls?.. What is the load rating on the Ecopias vs the MXV4?.. it should be printed on the sidewall, I believe that is the rating at the maximum air pressure.

Are the stock tires modified versions of the retail Ecopias?

kubel said:
TomT said:

I was just considering the possibility that maybe there's a tire out there that can exceed the Ecrapias in all categories, including rolling resistance. I guess no one has found that tire yet. :(

Many have, unfortunately they are not longer here as they were tire testers :eek:

Herm said:
The Ecrapias :) must have been designed to minimize weight, do you really need that extra 1/8 of rubber on the sidewalls?..
There is a unique construction to the sidewall of the Ecopia that Bridgestone describes as a "Fuel Saver Sidewall Compound--Helps lower rolling resistance by both returning more energy back to the tire and reducing heat generation as compared to a traditional sidewall." What this means as far as strength or durability is unclear.

What is the load rating on the Ecopias vs the MXV4?.. it should be printed on the sidewall, I believe that is the rating at the maximum air pressure.
Max. load rating on the Ecopia is 1279 lbs. On the MXV4 Primacy it is 1356 lbs. on the 91H SL model (note that there are several different tires sold as "MXV4" with different speed ratings, but in the 205/55-16 size the load ratings seem to be the same).

I believe they are, as it is a fairly common practice for OEM versions of a tire to be supplied to manufacturers that differ from the retail (aftermarket) versions, but I don't know of any way to verify this unless you know some Bridgestone engineer with inside info.

TT

Herm said:
The Ecrapias :) must have been designed to minimize weight, do you really need that extra 1/8 of rubber on the sidewalls?.. What is the load rating on the Ecopias vs the MXV4?.. it should be printed on the sidewall, I believe that is the rating at the maximum air pressure.

You can see all this and compare on Tirerack. The ecopias are OEM tires, the 2013 LEAF comes with Michelin Energy AS which is also a cheaper OEM tire to replace the Ecopia. The extra tree pounds on the MXV4 is going to be more of an issue in the city then the highway on efficiency. My car was very "bouncy" on the stock tires even at a high PSI of 50, now it is not.

Back