Eco-mode vs Regular mode while driving on the Freeway

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nemrut

Which is better and is there a significant difference in battery use? On the surface, Eco-mode seems to be the more efficient method, but after reading a number of board posts, many are saying that Eco relies more on regeneration which is bad.

Since I've only had my Leaf for a few days, can any clarify this based on their experience?

Neither is good or bad if you understand how to drive properly in each mode and know how to get what you want out of it.

ECO mode regenerates more aggressively right away when you let go of the gas pedal completely. But if you don't want it to regenerate more aggressively right away, then don't let go of the gas pedal completely, just let it back enough.

The whole point to maximize battery use is to control the gas pedal to keep the bubble in the middle as much as possible and not go too much to the right (accelerating) or left (regenerating) unless you have to (to speed up or slow down). Needless excessive acceleration and deceleration is your efficiency enemy.

So you can drive on the freeway in ECO mode and still be battery efficient if you know how to control your gas pedal appropriately.

But if you don't want to bother too much about gas pedal control, then it's simplest to use the Regular mode on freeway driving and ECO mode for in-town driving.

nemrut said:
Which is better and is there a significant difference in battery use? On the surface, Eco-mode seems to be the more efficient method, but after reading a number of board posts, many are saying that Eco relies more on regeneration which is bad.

Since I've only had my Leaf for a few days, can any clarify this based on their experience?

Unless you have quite a bit of EV driving experience then use ECO mode, you will do better on the freeway and in town. Not using ECO will not help you be more efficient, ever.

Eco mode dumbs down the climate control, too. But you have complete control of that (you can turn it way down or off).

If you need help with a lead foot, Eco mode is useful. I only use it as "on demand" regen braking (like going down a long hill).

Back