DTC Traction Motor System

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Markosvalsamis

Hi everyone. Purchased a used Nissan Leaf a few days ago. Did emergency brake a couple of times to check it works. No problems thus far. Got the following DTC readout, which seems to be related to low battery voltage but also problems with the motor and inverter from the TMS (traction motor system).

wZegmvc1yTJGrLBHA

Given I have not noticed any issue when driving, is it wise or not to clear it and see if it pops up again?

Advice very much welcome!

Thanks in advance

The 14 volt problem might be causing the other two problems. Can you measure the 12 volt battery voltage? If you have a 12 volt charger, you should use it and see if it helps. Are the lights dim after you turn off the car?

The 12 volt (or 14 volt) system is used for control and everything depends on it. It is tempting to say you need a new 12 volt battery. If I were paying for it, I would want more information. Places like Auto Zone can test the battery as if it were an ICE car, but they might not know more about batteries and charging than you do.

Thanks! Yes it does seem that it might be the battery alone. Before starting the car it reads 11.8V, yet a mechanic today told me their tester device said the battery is fine. But I thought 11.8V is a little low?

I'm presuming given the battery is probably not the best, and the car was driven very little in the last year (I only got it used a week ago), perhaps it was left a long time, discharged, showed these warnings, and when they got it going again, the DTCs remained?

Yes, 11.8 volts is low. If it were my car, I would connect my 12 volt charger and monitor the battery voltage for a few days.

Like the battery in an ICE car, the Leaf only charges the battery when it is turned on. Then it charges it gently. If the car sits for a long time, a lead acid battery can sulfate. Modern battery chargers can fix this if it is not too severe.

Back