DTC after using OpConnect EVSE

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrick0101

On Saturday I plugged my 2011 Nissan Leaf into the OpConnect EVSE on Electric Avenue in Portland. The car beeped once to indicated that it was plugged in, then it beeped twice to indicate that it was charging. This was all normal. I did not swipe my OpConnect card since it had already started charging. I left to enjoy the National Plug In Day event.

When I came back 90 minutes or so later the car was no longer charging. It was only at ~30% SOC and it was still plugged in. It should have been changing still. I think it charged for less than 30 minutes. I started the car; the amber error indicator lit up. I ran Leaf Spy and read Diagnostic Trouble Code "B29C1 2368 Charger EVSE VC-98".

I plugged back in, swiped my card and completed the charge without any further problems.

I don't know if this is a reproducible problem or a onetime anomaly.

Have any of you seen this DTC before or know what went wrong to cause it?

I have seen something like this before at a SemaConnect EVSE. I reported it and they changed the unit out. I did not have an ODBII reader then to see the DTC. I reported Saturday's failure to OpConnect via email tonight, I'll post their reply (if any).

OpConnet replied. Here is what they said:

Pat –
While we are not privy to the exact meaning of this error code, we believe it to reflect some sort of “abnormal or abrupt charging session end” error.
This would imply that station cut power after the five minute grace period.
Despite the two beeps, an OpConnect station will always require authorization of some sort to complete a full charge.

If you find this explanation sufficient then no further discourse is necessary.
However, if you still have questions or wish to further pursue this issue, please feel absolutely free to reply to this email.

Thanks!

Douglas S
Test Engineer
OpConnect, LLC
So it looks like the EVSE cut me off for not signing in and generated an abnormal charge termination error. I replied and told them that this method is a "recipe for disappointed customers". The 5 minute grace period does not save any significant charging time and (as in this case) may have customers that return only to find that they have charged for 5 minutes rather than the hours that they expected.

patrick0101 said:
OpConnet replied. Here is what they said:

Pat –
While we are not privy to the exact meaning of this error code, we believe it to reflect some sort of “abnormal or abrupt charging session end” error.
This would imply that station cut power after the five minute grace period.
Despite the two beeps, an OpConnect station will always require authorization of some sort to complete a full charge.

If you find this explanation sufficient then no further discourse is necessary.
However, if you still have questions or wish to further pursue this issue, please feel absolutely free to reply to this email.

Thanks!

Douglas S
Test Engineer
OpConnect, LLC
So it looks like the EVSE cut me off for not signing in and generated an abnormal charge termination error. I replied and told them that this method is a "recipe for disappointed customers". The 5 minute grace period does not save any significant charging time and (as in this case) may have customers that return only to find that they have charged for 5 minutes rather than the hours that they expected.
Worse, it means they didn't end the charge session properly. If the EVSE does it correctly, there's no error. The most common cause of a fault would be having the power simply be CUT OFF instead of properly signalling the shutdown. I'd send them a polite note explaining their mistake.

Back