Driving to Underwood Family farms... LEAF or Civic Hybrid?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdub

So... this Saturday we're going to take the kids to Underwood Family Farms.

Google Maps says it's 41.9 miles one way taking the 210 to the 118. That's going to cut it pretty tight. The most I've done is 70 miles on the freeway (LAX and back(... but then again I always have 2 bars to spare when I do that so it could be doable.

First Nissan is nearby so I guess I could plug in for an hour... but I also need to call them to see if that's even an option.

Plugging into a 110 at the farm is highly unlikely.

I really don't know how that drive is going to do with my range. I seem to remember it's pretty hilly.

So... Leaf it or ICE it?

Save your gas for the 99 cent store where you can buy fake pumpkins. Live life and take the LEAF to Underwoods to buy real and expensive pumpkins. There's a Nissan dealer on 1st street in Simi (1st Nissan) that have a couple of EVSEs on the north side of their showroom if you think you need some juice... :cool:

I do an 80 mile round trip from Sunland to Thousand Oaks (top of the hill on Sunset Hills Blvd.) I drive a maximum 60mph on the freeway, coasting down the longer grades and often use using A/C one way. It takes most of a full charge ending at Low Battery Warning or a little below. These hills do eat up range. When I travel to Orange County and back, my range is about 10 miles more.

You will be starting at a higher altitude and will not have the hill climb at the end that I have. Besides TangoKilo's suggestions for charging, there is Mission Hills Nissan (118 at Sepulveda) 10 miles from Sunland if you get low. Also, consider exiting the 118 at Madera and take Tierra Rejada over to Sunset Valley. Speed will be slower, you avoid the hill on the freeway and maybe less miles.

Have fun!

If I were in your shoes, I would definitely take the LEAF. Call ahead to the farm to ask about L1, and take a long, heavy-duty extension cord, as the weather should be dry. Drive as slowly as you reasonably can. The Nissan dealers are your backup.

For me, I would not do it in the Leaf.

I recently did a similar SF Bay Area adventure: Fremont to Gilroy Outlet Shopping Malls (Final destination, No L2 charger). Distance is 45 miles one way. I charged up for 1.5 hrs at a wonderful and supportive Nissan dealership (South County Nissan Gilroy - Many thanks to them!) a couple of miles away whilst the family went shopping.

Some considerations:
1) With a "full load" in your Leaf, your range estimations will be different from your daily drives as a single driver

2) Drove with NO A/C and had to deal with upset kids... hmmm, not sure if that makes it a pleasant drive

3) Waiting for 1.5 hrs whilst charging for a couple more SOC bars just enough for us to make the trip home.... hmmm, killing time is pretty boring. An interesting note: I am not sure, but the Nissan dealership's L2 seems to charge slower (at a lower current?). I felt my Blink at home charges faster per SOC bar....

4) I originally planned to do under 60mph (going/returning) but the freeway route's slow lane is pushing over 65mph. It was very difficult to drive slow (without the risk of getting rear ended) to conserve battery.

5) Made it home with 4 miles to turtle mode. Wife edgy and not pleased at all.

Would I do it again? No.
Would I do it again if the final destination had an L2 charger? Probably Yes.

mxp said:
For me, I would not do it in the Leaf.

I recently did a similar SF Bay Area adventure: Fremont to Gilroy Outlet Shopping Malls (Final destination, No L2 charger). Distance is 45 miles one way. I charged up for 1.5 hrs at a wonderful and supportive Nissan dealership (South County Nissan Gilroy - Many thanks to them!) a couple of miles away whilst the family went shopping.

Some considerations:
1) With a "full load" in your Leaf, your range estimations will be different from your daily drives as a single driver

2) Drove with NO A/C and had to deal with upset kids... hmmm, not sure if that makes it a pleasant drive

3) Waiting for 1.5 hrs whilst charging for a couple more SOC bars just enough for us to make the trip home.... hmmm, killing time is pretty boring. An interesting note: I am not sure, but the Nissan dealership's L2 seems to charge slower (at a lower current?). I felt my Blink at home charges faster per SOC bar....

4) I originally planned to do under 60mph (going/returning) but the freeway route's slow lane is pushing over 65mph. It was very difficult to drive slow (without the risk of getting rear ended) to conserve battery.

5) Made it home with 4 miles to turtle mode. Wife edgy and not pleased at all.

Would I do it again? No.
Would I do it again if the final destination had an L2 charger? Probably Yes.

Yeah my wife seems to be not on board. I'd be happy to do it if it was just me. We'll see.

mxp said:
3) .... An interesting note: I am not sure, but the Nissan dealership's L2 seems to charge slower (at a lower current?). I felt my Blink at home charges faster per SOC bar....
It's likely then that the dealership's L2 was probably running commercial 208V instead of residential 240V ( a 13% difference ). The current should have been the same (at around 50% SOC).

mxp said:
I never realized I was increasing my risk of getting rear ended by driving under 60 in the right lane on the freeway. Truckers and and those with a trailer are required by law in California to drive no more than 55 on the freeway for example and I had not heard they have an increased number of rear endings as a result.

I should add that I respect that it was difficult for you to drive under 60 but I have a hard time believing it increases ones risk of being rear ended.

Four people on-board will definitely cut in to your range. With children involved, I'd definitely opt to not be a test pilot and I'd take the ICE.

cdub said:
So... this Saturday we're going to take the kids to Underwood Family Farms.

I've made a few trips from Chatsworth to the Rose Bowl with 2 on board, about 36 miles each way. I get home with one or two bars remaining using some AC & varying speeds depending on traffic. You do have some hills to contend with. I love the Leaf but I'd say just take the Civic and don't worry about it.

DTB said:
I've made a few trips from Chatsworth to the Rose Bowl with 2 on board, about 36 miles each way. I get home with one or two bars remaining using some AC & varying speeds depending on traffic. You do have some hills to contend with. I love the Leaf but I'd say just take the Civic and don't worry about it.

I'd totally do it if it was just me. Or maybe even just me and my older son who's almost 4. But not with the wife and the 13month old. Don't need any "wife anxiety" which WILL be there. I know from experience. (see our old attempt to drive to Santa Monica with just 10 bars after owning for a week)

I'm facing a similar situation tomorrow. I want to take my Leaf to the National Plug in Day meeting here in the Dallas area but it is on the opposite side of town. It is 45 miles one direction, on the highway. There are supposed to be L2 chargers at the scene, but I'm worried that something might go wrong. Maybe they won't be working, or maybe they won't be available?

Now, if I were going by myself, I'd just turn off the A/C since the temperature is supposed to be nice tomorrow. I'd stay mostly on city streets to keep my speed under 45. But that means that instead of taking 45 minutes, it might take twice as long at around 1:30. But the point is, I'd probably be able to make there and back on the same charge. If I managed to get some L2 time, it would be just a bonus.

But the wife and 8 year old daughter are insisting that they come. They are going to demand that I drive 70 mph and the air-conditioner be running. That means there will be no chance of making the trip without getting a charge before we return. To be honest, that scares me a bit. I've never driven my Leaf any distance that I knew I couldn't make the return trip without a charge. So this will be the first time for me. And you can bet if something goes wrong, they'll blame me or blame the car.

We could just take my wife's Prius. However, that sort of defeats the purpose of going to the Plug-in meeting.

I thought that Texas had some DC quick chage infrastructure in already - not available on your route?

90 miles at 70 mph - you're going to need about 3 hours of L2 to make it...

drees said:
I thought that Texas had some DC quick chage infrastructure in already - not available on your route?

90 miles at 70 mph - you're going to need about 3 hours of L2 to make it...

Well, luck would have it we plan to be at the event for 3 hours or more. There is one quick-charger in the area but my vehicle is not equipped with the L3 port.

adric22 said:
But the wife and 8 year old daughter are insisting that they come. They are going to demand that I drive 70 mph and the air-conditioner be running.
Let them know under those conditions there is a good chance they will be walking or waiting for a tow. I would be more inclined to go 55 on the hiway with no climate control. If you get some charge at the event then promise you can go 65 cranking the air on the return trip. Morning should be cooler anyway right?

adric22 said:
I'm facing a similar situation tomorrow...

But the wife and 8 year old daughter are insisting that they come. They are going to demand that I drive 70 mph and the air-conditioner be running. That means there will be no chance of making the trip without getting a charge before we return. To be honest, that scares me a bit. I've never driven my Leaf any distance that I knew I couldn't make the return trip without a charge. So this will be the first time for me. And you can bet if something goes wrong, they'll blame me or blame the car.

We could just take my wife's Prius. However, that sort of defeats the purpose of going to the Plug-in meeting.
I have an issue here, forgive me if it comes across as harsh, but it is what it is.

The EV movement is part of a future that is cleaner, and should help make life better for future generations.

Yet those that are bearing the children (And the children) can't be inconvienced a tad to accept the limitations of the vehicle you can afford to buy now that is cleaner? Sell the wife and kids and buy a Tesla, then you can take a supermodel with you at 70 MPH with the AC on.

If they don't get it, leave them out of it.

As for the OP, I would program in the shortest route and see what that mileage is. If it is under 80 RT you should just get off the boring and dangerous freeways and see the town to get there and back. Enjoy the ride and give it a little more time. What is the hurry? Family time in an EV should be quality time, so what is the trouble with prolonging it?

Well, this is an old thread but here's my advice.

It all depends on whether the "family farm" in question sells cantaloupe. If it does and you plan on eating on the way home (assuming a rapid incubation period), plan on lysteria and take the hybrid so that you can be sure to get to the hospital.

:)

adric22 said:
I'm facing a similar situation tomorrow. I want to take my Leaf to the National Plug in Day meeting here in the Dallas area but it is on the opposite side of town. It is 45 miles one direction, on the highway. There are supposed to be L2 chargers at the scene, but I'm worried that something might go wrong. Maybe they won't be working, or maybe they won't be available?

Now, if I were going by myself, I'd just turn off the A/C since the temperature is supposed to be nice tomorrow. I'd stay mostly on city streets to keep my speed under 45. But that means that instead of taking 45 minutes, it might take twice as long at around 1:30. But the point is, I'd probably be able to make there and back on the same charge. If I managed to get some L2 time, it would be just a bonus.

Once the AC gets to temperature, it doesn't take much power to maintain it there. So, if you precondition the car before unplugging it will help. You can't make it going 70 mph though. My suggestion, go to Google or Bing Maps and try to plan out a slower route that's not much more distance. With some curvy roads and interesting things to see. That way you can go slower without the family becoming bored. Whatever you do, if you end up running low on juice and stopping to charge, it's sure to result in a bad impression to them. Better to take the hybrid than risk that. But if there's L2 charging at the destination I say go for it. You'll be there a few hours, giving you enough time to top up.

Back