Driving in B mode all the time?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DougWantsALeaf said:
The only place I don't use B mode is in light traffic on the freeway. In those cases, I don't even always want the D regen, as I would prefer to coast.

Same here. I switch to D on the freeway. I rarely use the freeway, though. I also use D when I'm at full charge until I hit 93% (which I gather from other posts is when regen starts actually doing something significant). I'm in B+Eco almost all the time. I'm trying to learn how to work the accelerator so that I never have to switch, though.

mbender said:
LeftieBiker said:
Cruise control applies more power to adjust speed than is absolutely necessary. That's why it is 'rated' lower.
Yes, and that's presumably why switching to cruise control also reduces the Guess-O-Meter estimate when in Eco mode.

Didn't know that. I had read someplace or other to use cruise to save energy/fuel (I forget which).

ERG4ALL said:
.. Look just above the pine tree display and notice that you should have all of the "efficiency" bars lit. ...
The bars and trees are a highly dubious indicator of how efficiently you are driving.

The efficiency loss from using cruise control is often wildly exaggerated.
You can beat it by going over the speed limit coasting in Neutral going downhill.
But most drivers expect people on the interstate to drive a relatively steady speed.
If that is what you are doing, using cruise control at 50 to 55 mph is pretty efficient.

I also have a 2015 and feel the same thing. If I forget to switch back to D from B mode (holding a steady speed) and then switch to D mode, the car has a slight lurch forward like something was holding it back.

tkdbrusco said:
Hey everyone, I guess this may be somewhat of a newbie question, maybe not though. Can you drive in B mode all of the time or is it just intended for going down hill. I mainly ask because I've noticed that if I am driving a constant speed, say (45 mph) on a flat road and shift from B mode to D mode, I notice that there appears to be less resistance (ever so slightly).

bigrob90 said:
mbender said:
LeftieBiker said:
Cruise control applies more power to adjust speed than is absolutely necessary. That's why it is 'rated' lower.
Yes, and that's presumably why switching to cruise control also reduces the Guess-O-Meter estimate when in Eco mode.

Didn't know that. I had read someplace or other to use cruise to save energy/fuel (I forget which).

The big savings in using cruise control is for drivers who's speed tends to creep up on them. They start off trying to save fuel/energy but eventually end up in the fast lane going 20mph over. If you have the self control non cruise will always be better. GM has always recommended cruise on the volt to save energy and extend range.

For the level road situation even though cruise on a level road holding a set speed and you holding a set speed would be the same at that time I would bet that the GOM and leaf efficiency gauge changes it algorithm as soon as you turn on the cruise. If you actually drove on a 100% level road with 0 wind you'd probably notice the cruise is as good or even better.

recmob said:
I also have a 2015 and feel the same thing. If I forget to switch back to D from B mode (holding a steady speed) and then switch to D mode, the car has a slight lurch forward like something was holding it back.

tkdbrusco said:
Hey everyone, I guess this may be somewhat of a newbie question, maybe not though. Can you drive in B mode all of the time or is it just intended for going down hill. I mainly ask because I've noticed that if I am driving a constant speed, say (45 mph) on a flat road and shift from B mode to D mode, I notice that there appears to be less resistance (ever so slightly).

What you're probably noticing is the remap of the accelerator pedal. When you're holding a steady speed you're holding a steady position for the pedal and your mode will decided what the computer sends to the motor. I didn't quite catch on with tkdbrusco's wording using "less resistance" but when recmob worded it "slight lurch forward" it was clear.

That's what I figured too so it never bothered me. Just figured the switch was a different 'branch off' in the computer program :)

What you're probably noticing is the remap of the accelerator pedal. When you're holding a steady speed you're holding a steady position for the pedal and your mode will decided what the computer sends to the motor. I didn't quite catch on with tkdbrusco's wording using "less resistance" but when recmob worded it "slight lurch forward" it was clear.

Back