Drivers needed!! Support a new L3 quick charger in Fontana.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregH

Looking for drivers in the San Bernardino/Riverside area (or nearby) to attend a Fontana city hearing to support a new 7-11 and L3 DC quick charger at Arrow/Juniper. The hearing will be Tuesday night August 7th at 6pm at Fontana city hall. I'll be driving up from Irvine. Their issue is more with the 7-11 than the quick charger, but the developer (Jian Torkan from ICO Real Estate Group, who did the San Bernardino L3 charger) needs the 7-11 development to finance the cost of the charger installation. A good showing of drivers supporting the L3 quick charger could help sway opinion! Please help!

Thanks Tony! I hope we can find a few more folks willing to support this. I wonder how many on this list got their cars at Fontana Nissan? I'll try calling the dealership.. I think Empire (Ontario) is nearby as well.

I am a strong proponent of Quick Charging but would like to know the issues before committing to support this location. Would someone post the arguments of both sides or links to them?

Didn't find anything in the Fontana Herald News. Below is from the agenda for the meeting of the Planning Commission. The minutes of the previous meeting are not posted.

PLANNING COMMISSION MEETING CITY OF FONTANA August 7, 2012
Conditional Use Permit No. 12-009/Administrative Site Plan No. 12-012 and Tentative Parcel Map No. 19387: Filed by Jian Torkan, ICO Real Estate Group, Inc., to request an Administrative Site Plan to demolish a portion of the existing building on-site, and rehab and utilize the remaining portion for a proposed 7-Eleven Convenience store of approximately 2,800 square feet and an approximately 1,000 square foot retail suite, including a proposed drive-up Chase ATM and four (4) charging stations for electric vehicles. The project also includes a Conditional Use Permit to have a Type “20” Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) License and a Tentative Parcel Map request to merge the existing four (4) parcels into one (1) parcel. The project site is an irregularly-shaped property consisting of four parcels (APN: 0191-271-10 through 14) of approximately 1.3 gross acres located on the southeast corner of Arrow Boulevard and Juniper Avenue and having a frontage of approximately 136 feet on the south side of Arrow Boulevard and a frontage of approximately 99 feet on the east side of Juniper Avenue.

91040 said:
I am a strong proponent of Quick Charging but would like to know the issues before committing to support this location. Would someone post the arguments of both sides or links to them?

Didn't find anything in the Fontana Herald News. Below is from the agenda for the meeting of the Planning Commission. The minutes of the previous meeting are not posted.

PLANNING COMMISSION MEETING CITY OF FONTANA August 7, 2012
Conditional Use Permit No. 12-009/Administrative Site Plan No. 12-012 and Tentative Parcel Map No. 19387: Filed by Jian Torkan, ICO Real Estate Group, Inc., to request an Administrative Site Plan to demolish a portion of the existing building on-site, and rehab and utilize the remaining portion for a proposed 7-Eleven Convenience store of approximately 2,800 square feet and an approximately 1,000 square foot retail suite, including a proposed drive-up Chase ATM and four (4) charging stations for electric vehicles. The project also includes a Conditional Use Permit to have a Type “20” Alcoholic Beverage Control (ABC) License and a Tentative Parcel Map request to merge the existing four (4) parcels into one (1) parcel. The project site is an irregularly-shaped property consisting of four parcels (APN: 0191-271-10 through 14) of approximately 1.3 gross acres located on the southeast corner of Arrow Boulevard and Juniper Avenue and having a frontage of approximately 136 feet on the south side of Arrow Boulevard and a frontage of approximately 99 feet on the east side of Juniper Avenue.

Sure thing.. Jian/ICO Real Estate, proponents of EV quick charging, are able to fold the cost of L3 DC quick charging into their redevolopment of land for 7-11 convenience stores.. He's got one charger running in San Bernardino (although has since sold the property, but still paying the electric bill for the charger) and another in South SB in the works (7-11 done, L2 installed, L3 on the way)
The issue with the Fontana site has more to do with the alcohol license at the 7-11 than the quick charger. Jian has taken multiple steps to try and address the city's concerns from working with local churches on prevention programs to buying up alcohol licenses from other businesses in the region to lower the total amount of licenses within a geographic reagion.
Either way, we the EV drivers have nothing to say for or against the alcohol license (or at least I don't).. The main reason we're going is to talk up the positive benefits of additional L3 DC quick chargers.. Note Jian is installing these with no fed or state assistance.. As a trailblazer, I pwrsonally think I should do all I can to see him and the L3 quick charger movement succeed... I don't have any stake in this other than being a Leaf driver with a $700 L3 DC port and some free time.
If you or anyone else has any questions or would like to know more, please call me on my cell 714-350-2228
Thanks
-Greg Hanssen

Back