Door lock with smart key and handle request button

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rickh

Hi everybody,

I just got my new 2014 Leaf in NJ last night, what a ride back home! I live in NY so I drove 104 miles with the first charge, and I made it, with --- miles left!

Now, I have been playing with the different features and the only weird thing I found tonight is that I couldn't lock the door with the request button on the handle. I had to pull the key out of my pocket and press the lock button. The car was properly off, and just I closed doors, and as I said the remote key button works fine. Then to unlock both, the request button or the remote key work ok.

Is there any setting or condition you may be aware is preventing me to lock the door with the handle request button?

Thank you.

Were any of the doors or the hatch still open/ajar?

IIRC, if they are, when you try locking, you may/may not hear locking activity but you won't hear confirmation beeps.

cwerdna said:
Were any of the doors or the hatch still open/ajar?

IIRC, if they are, when you try locking, you may/may not hear locking activity but you won't hear confirmation beeps.

Congrats! That is quite the first trip! Don't start expecting that kind of range all the time :)

Definitely verify that all doors were shut properly as cwerdna mentioned. The remote will still lock the doors but the door handle button will not if everything is not shut entirely.

I believe there is also a setting that disables the door handles. I forget exactly what it is called but if you browse around the settings you should find it.

Did the car beep at you at all when you tried to lock it with the door button? If the 2nd key is in the car, it will refuse to lock the door with the button and will beep at you. If my wife wants to leave her purse in the trunk I have to use the smart key to lock.

Phatcat73 said:
anyone else experience this? just started today on our 2013.

How old is the battery in the FOB? Does it do it with both the FOBs, or just the one you use all the time?

As the battery in the FOB ages, the radiated signal gets weaker and the allowable distance from the dashboard to use the handle button decreases. It is possible to have the signal too weak for the car to see the FOB, but have just enough juice in the battery to trigger the lock and unlock. It is also possible that the FOB is starting to fail and will need replaced.

keyfob batteries are about 2 years old and are probably due soon to be replaced, although I have not seen the key fob low battery error on the dash. The problem also happens with both keys. Will try the keyfob battery swap.

Hi,
Do have the same problem on my 2013 Leaf. Both FOBS stopped working for all door lock/unlock buttons (both side doors and trunk).
The only way to lock/unlock the car is to push the buttons on the actual keyfob.

Anybody has the answer how to fix this issue?

Back