Does timed heat really run off the house?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run in to this a lot. That is the car is full or done charging. I tried using the climate timer and it does warm the car a bit but it is nothing like when you turn the car on and the heater on. So here is what I do.

Walk out to a charged car, get in, hit the timer override button, the car starts to charge again. Then foot on the brake start the car to "ready" and turn on the heater (the car will complain your still plugged in and can't drive) and you have heat.

I charge to 80% so while the heater is running I will gain a few % in the 10 minutes I let it warm up.

The trick is you have to go through those steps fairly quickly, before the car realizes it is "full" and shuts off the charging process, if that happens then you get no heat.

Thanks guys - that is why it worked when I did this before it was full. I will have to learn to set the climate timer, and to see if I can do the manual override.

hmmm, maybe mine is not working correctly cause I start the car, turn on heat then unplug and plug back in to make sure it starts a charge cycle but still see lower numbers. granted not much lower but I check the numbers first before doing all this.

either way, not a big deal to me. the 2013 heats faster than the 2011 did and its rarely all that cold for me anyway

You may be using less that Level 2 charging and that's why its dropping. You also may be setting your end timers for the charge and the heat timer for the same time say 7:00AM. I don't think the car is smart enough to realize that its not allowing enough time to do both functions since the power to charge the battery will drop if you are also pre-heating the car. Try setting the charge end timer to a time earlier than the pre-heat.

You guys are forgetting about climate control timer priority modes. This is why everyone has a different experience (that, and some people are heating their cars in extreme conditions while others aren't). These settings not only decide whether timed climate control is available below a certain SOC, but they also decide which gets priority of electricity when both timers overlap. This overlap isn't documented much in the main owners manual, and it's not even mentioned on the screen when you choose a mode, but it is mentioned a few times in the navigation system manual.

In case of overlap: If Charge Priority is enabled, the car will try to not use more energy than the EVSE is supplying for heating so as to allow the battery to continue to charge. If Climate Priority is enabled, the climate control *can* overtake battery charging, but it depends on ambient conditions. Regardless of overlap and ambient conditions, if you have Charge Priority enabled, the climate control timer will not initiate until you have reached at least 80% charge. If Climate Priority is enabled, this limitation is disabled.

kubel said:
You guys are forgetting about climate control timer priority modes. This is why everyone has a different experience (that, and some people are heating their cars in extreme conditions while others aren't). These settings not only decide whether timed climate control is available below a certain SOC, but they also decide which gets priority of electricity when both timers overlap. This overlap isn't documented much in the main owners manual, and it's not even mentioned on the screen when you choose a mode, but it is mentioned a few times in the navigation system manual.

In case of overlap: If Charge Priority is enabled, the car will try to not use more energy than the EVSE is supplying for heating so as to allow the battery to continue to charge. If Climate Priority is enabled, the climate control *can* overtake battery charging, but it depends on ambient conditions. Regardless of overlap and ambient conditions, if you have Charge Priority enabled, the climate control timer will not initiate until you have reached at least 80% charge. If Climate Priority is enabled, this limitation is disabled.

Does the Leaf S have this feature as well? Some of the folks posting here have the base model.

Back