Does the Eco mode really reduce Climate Control power usage?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knightmb

I've search around on the forum and Google, but have not really found a clear answer about it. From my own test, it appears to make no difference if you drive around in Eco or Non-Eco mode on Heater/AC power consumption, but does anyone have a link or info about what Eco mode does affect on the vehicle besides the sensitivity of acceleration and regen settings?

Vehicle is 2013 SV (with Heat Pump)

I can tell you that my 2013 SV heats up faster inside the cabin in Normal mode than in Eco. I last tested that today, in fact. Given the laws of physics, it seems likely that it uses more power doing this. You can use the power consumption display to check it.

LeftieBiker said:
I can tell you that my 2013 SV heats up faster inside the cabin in Normal mode than in Eco. I last tested that today, in fact. Given the laws of physics, it seems likely that it uses more power doing this. You can use the power consumption display to check it.
Did you monitor the power usage though? I monitored my power usage testing 4 times using the same base temperature (28F) and giving the vehicle 2 hours between times to "cool down" and the power usage to warm up the vehicle is the same regardless of Eco or Non-Eco settings. So I am wondering maybe Eco uses "less" power in the long run that perhaps after the initial 4.5kW of power up, it uses less power? I haven't tested a long road trip between the two, just a short 10 minute drive around and logging power usage.

The answer is: it depends on the year and model of your Leaf.
For 2011/2012 Leafs with no heat pump, ECO mode cuts energy usage during heating; that's why folks were so interested in "heater mods" for the early Leafs. For later models, it would only make a difference in very cold temps when the resistive heater would be used (although the "S" trim has no heat pump).
A/C usage is unaffected by ECO mode.

Stanton said:
although the "S" trim has no heat pump.
Well on my 2013 S with no heat pump, I've not found any evidence that power usage of the heater (as measured by Leaf Spy Pro) differers at all from ECO mode to normal. I read that it should, but I've not seen it. All I can tell you for sure is that resistance heater sure likes power so maybe the difference in modes is so small I can't see it in Leaf Spy Pro

jpadc said:
Stanton said:
although the "S" trim has no heat pump.
Well on my 2013 S with no heat pump, I've not found any evidence that power usage of the heater (as measured by Leaf Spy Pro) differers at all from ECO mode to normal. I read that it should, but I've not seen it. All I can tell you for sure is that resistance heater sure likes power so maybe the difference in modes is so small I can't see it in Leaf Spy Pro

It's got to be cold when you try it (and I assume it is where you live), but you should see around 3 kW vs 4-5 kW peak in ECO vS normal.

11/12 MY ECO mode did limit climate control power consumption. 13 MY and on do not.
Note the DTE increases 10% when engaging ECO mode in 11/12 MY. It only increases 6% on 13 MY and newer. This is to reflect the revised climate control logic.

Back