Do It Yourself: 240v from two 120v sources

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hieuous said:
i still have my EVSE and my 240 volt thing i made. do you guys think people will buy it? i'll take pictures of it...
Oh, I think there is always a market for an upgraded EVSE. I recently sold a 2011 upgraded EVSE for $700.

I considered selling my home brew quick 240, but chickened out as I wouldn't want to have something go wrong and get slapped by some sort of legal action. To an acquaintance, OK, but to the public at large, no.

ebill3 said:
hieuous said:
i still have my EVSE and my 240 volt thing i made. do you guys think people will buy it? i'll take pictures of it...
Oh, I think there is always a market for an upgraded EVSE. I recently sold a 2011 upgraded EVSE for $700.

I considered selling my home brew quick 240, but chickened out as I wouldn't want to have something go wrong and get slapped by some sort of legal action. To an acquaintance, OK, but to the public at large, no.

i never had the chance to upgrade it. i traded the car in and told them i'd bring it in but they haven't asked me about it yet so i'm going to give it about 30 days and then see if they ask. until then it's mine.

i dunno. i have a little gauge on it that tells you exactly how much voltage is going through so it seems pretty sound...maybe you're right.

hieuous said:
i have a little gauge on it that tells you exactly how much voltage is going through so it seems pretty sound
It sounds like you are talking about a wall mount EVSE, not the trickle charge cord that came with the car. As KillaWhat suggests, you should be able to get some pretty good money for it.

Ray

I built a simple one of these (without the safety relays) and still have not used it to this day. I find it much easier and safer to find a 240 volt outlet and use one of the adapters sold on evse upgrade. Or just use one outlet for level 1 charging, or just find a public charger on my way home. I have 2) 120 volt opposing circuits in my garage and in my kitchen, but Most of the friend's houses I have visited do not.. Plus I have no idea of the condition of the wiring in their house.

johnrhansen said:
I built a simple one of these (without the safety relays) and still have not used it to this day.
Then, please do not use it. Using it without the safety relays is just a disaster waiting to happen.

adeyo said:
what is the actual charge time for one of these 240 DIY upgrades?

Charge time is based on voltage multiplied by amps. At 240 volts, with 16 amps, there is 3.8kW pulled from the grid. At 27.5 amps, it is 6.6kW.

A full battery takes 24kWh to 25kWh when new (and not cold), so time is:

24.5kWh / 3.8kW = 6.5 hours for the "3.3kW" charger LEAF

24.5kWh / 6.6kW = 3.7 hours for the "6.6kW" charger LEAF

TonyWilliams said:
adeyo said:
what is the actual charge time for one of these 240 DIY upgrades?

Charge time is based on voltage multiplied by amps. At 240 volts, with 16 amps, there is 3.8kW pulled from the grid. At 27.5 amps, it is 6.6kW.

A full battery takes 24kWh to 25kWh when new (and not cold), so time is:

24.5kWh / 3.8kW = 6.5 hours for the "3.3kW" charger LEAF

24.5kWh / 6.6kW = 3.7 hours for the "6.6kW" charger LEAF

However -- there is NO "do it yourself 240v from two 120v sources" that will supply 32A of 240V. 40A 120V circuits do not exist, to the best of my knowledge.

So Adeyo -- the correct answer is the top one -- you can charge at 3.8 kw per hour, if you can find 2 good 240v circuits.

The best you could do would be 24A from two TT-30's, (EVSE permitting) but I've never seen one that wasn't protected by a GFCI, which removes this from the table.

-Phil

I needed another quick240 device and decided to see how small I could make it the second time around. Here's the result using a 3/4" PVC type T conduit body and it saved me from drilling holes:

2014-03-13+14.35.58.jpg

2014-03-13+16.03.08.jpg

I used nonmetal strain relief grips that screw on the inside and I also added PVC type cement for good measure.
Something similar to this: http://www.waytekwire.com/item/24590/BLACK-1-4-STRAIGHT-CORDGRIP/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pretty clean ... good job!
(segway) iirc, someone on the thread asked me about hooking up our 240v from 120v sourc boxes on receptacles with gfi's. I'd mentioned spoofing their gfi's with a 120v isolation transformer. I think my wife's uncle wired it up something like this (forgive the primitive drawing skills please) :

ekkp77.jpg

oops ... actually, my transformer is 1.6kW.

hill said:
pretty clean ... good job!
(segway) iirc, someone on the thread asked me about hooking up our 240v from 120v sourc boxes on receptacles with gfi's. I'd mentioned spoofing their gfi's with a 120v isolation transformer. I think my wife's uncle wired it up something like this (forgive the primitive drawing skills please) :

Cool! that's very helpful. Do you have a photo of the actual transformer and setup you have?

Back