Do I need to keep my key in a coffee can and arrange an armored pocket?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The car gives away its position in the app, i wouldn't worry.

You can a set a speed limiter in the app so it can't be driven faster, would be piece of cake to catch anyone thinking of stealing it.

... it's interesting to note that Tesla cars are the least likely cars to be stolen. ...
Didn't know that. A few years ago this issue of stealing a Tesla with a signal repeater was a concern among some Tesla owners.

In any case, a Tesla owner always knows where the car is using the smart-phone app unless the 12-volt battery has been disconnected. Also, when the car is not moving, the owner can put the car in Valet mode or set a maximum speed using the app.

So faraday bag for my keys when they’re in my pocket: yes
That would work, anything that blocks the signal be it air distance, Faraday cage, walls, etc. If the repeater can't pick up the signal, there is nothing for it to relay for the repeater end that the second thief would be using.

Can't pay cash for public charging, so it leaves a credit card trail.
Another plus for Teslas - Tesla chargers don't take payment. The charger identifies the car and sends the info back to Tesla, which bills the owner monthly.

Also a reason why the Tesla chargers are more reliable than other, the failure of the credit card reading are one big reason why the chargers become inoperable

Once upon a time I was driving our Leaf with my wife as a passenger. I got out at the hockey rink and my wife, without her fob, took off for a grocery store a few miles away. Fortunately I quickly realized what was going to happen, phoned her, and she turned around and came back to get my fob. (Otherwise I wouldn't be alive today to tell the story.)
with my 2012 Leaf if I start it and walk away far enough when I come back I have to hit the start button again

Lock your doors and walk away. Put your key in a small tin with the lid on. Take it to the car and see if you can unlock the door. If you can't then you've successfully blocked the signal, so a thief's relay wont work.

I keep the spare key hidden in the car wrapped in aluminum foil. Even some how if the car would lock by itself you can call nissan service to unlock the car remotely and get to the key.
You might want to test that. When I was experimenting with 'protecting' the Prius key, I tried putting it in a small aluminum box. The signal still got through. Steel box worked. I would not think the Leaf would be different.

Last edited:
You might want to test that. When I was experimenting with 'protecting' the Prius key, I tried putting it in a small aluminum box. The signal still got through. Steel box worked. I would not think the Leaf would be different.
Pretty easy to test and yes it takes several levels of foil and location dependent!

The car gives away its position in the app, i wouldn't worry.

You can a set a speed limiter in the app so it can't be driven faster, would be piece of cake to catch anyone thinking of stealing it.
When I bought my Leaf the salesperson tried to sell me something that would protect me from car theft. My response was any thief would have so much ranch anxiety he would choose the Tesla.

Back