Do I have to replace the battery in remote?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amazon Prime has free returns so if others don't work I'll send them back. I almost bought them from Target or Best Buy but they're $6.50 for a 2 pack vs. $4.99 for a 5 pack on Amazon.

Very annoying a new battery doesn't work. :evil:

I read multiple times here it's covered under warranty which doesn't make total sense to me but I've been thinking about stopping by the dealer and getting a free replacement under warranty if it's really the case.

Just another data point for you: I just replaced the battery in one of my fobs. It has lasted just shy of 5 years without mishaps. I began to get the dash warning light, so changed the battery. My second fob is still performing well, and no dash warning light yet.

Thank you for this info, this is a good reminder:
• Do not use a magnet key holder.
Do not place the Intelligent Key near
an electric appliance such as a televi-
sion set, personal computer or cellular
phone.

RockyNv said:
LeafMuranoDriver said:
Does anything need to be done after you put in a new battery?

Both of mine give me the low battery warning and I replaced 1 remote so far and the car thinks it's dead. I used Energizer brand and thought they would be reliable vs. no name or HF.

This is what the 2015 owners manual cautions about what can damage the Intelligent Keys:

"To avoid damaging it, please note the
following.
• The Intelligent Key is water resistant;
however, wetting may damage the In-
telligent Key. If the Intelligent Key gets
wet, immediately wipe until it is com-
pletely dry.
• Do not bend, drop or strike it against
another object.
• If the outside temperature is below
14°F (-10°C) degrees, the battery of the
intelligent key may not function prop-
erly.
• Do not place the Intelligent Key for an
extended period in a place where tem-
peratures exceed 140°F (60°C).
• Do not change or modify the Intelligent
Key.
phone.
• Do not allow the Intelligent Key to
come into contact with water or salt
water, and do not wash it in a washing
machine. This could affect the system
function."

NISSAN INTELLIGENT KEY BATTERY REPLACEMENT is covered in section 8 of your owners manual on page 19 and its pretty straight forward:

"CAUTION
• Be careful not to allow children to
swallow the battery and removed
parts.
• An improperly disposed battery can
harm the environment. Always confirm
local regulations for battery disposal.
• When changing batteries, do not let
dust or oil get on the components.
• There is danger of explosion if the
lithium battery is incorrectly replaced.
Replace only with the same or equiva-
lent type.
Replace the battery in the Intelligent Key as fol-
lows:
1. Remove the mechanical key from the Intelli-
gent Key.
2. Insert a small screwdriver into the slit of the
corner and twist it to separate the upper part
from the lower part. Use a cloth to protect the
casing.
3. Replace the battery with a new one.
Recommended battery:
CR2025 or equivalent
• Do not touch the internal circuit and electric
terminals as doing so could cause a malfunc-
tion.
• Hold the battery by the edges. Holding the
battery across the contact points will seri-
ously deplete the storage capacity.
• Make sure that the + side faces the bottom
of the case.
4. Align the tips of the upper and lower parts 1,
and then push them together until it is
securely closed.
5. Operate the buttons to check that it is func-
tioning properly.
See a NISSAN certified LEAF dealer if you need
any assistance for replacement."

Many Nissan Owners and Supplemental Information Booklets are available on-line at the following link:
https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/navigation/manualsGuide

fetv said:
Thank you for this info, this is a good reminder:
phone.

I needed the reminder to since its easy when your keys are on a belt hook to let your Otterbox case with your cell phone and keys to slide right next to each other. I carry two cell phones due to my employment so its a bit harder for me to keep everything separated. Thankfully I am no longer required to also carry a business band radio. Ladies with their purses may also find it more difficult to keep the Intelligent Key and Cell Phone separated.

LeafMuranoDriver said:
Amazon Prime has free returns so if others don't work I'll send them back. I almost bought them from Target or Best Buy but they're $6.50 for a 2 pack vs. $4.99 for a 5 pack on Amazon.

I read multiple times here it's covered under warranty which doesn't make total sense to me but I've been thinking about stopping by the dealer and getting a free replacement under warranty if it's really the case.

Double check what you actually got. I just searched Amazon for CR2025 Energizer batteries for $4.99 and the five/six packs that were listed were not CR2025 at 3 volts but LR44 at 1.5 volts. The only five pack CR2025 I saw at $4.99 were Eunicell with the most common review saying they only lasted a few days.

The Energizer CR2025 are supposed to be good for 10 years from date of manufacture however many Amazon bargains on them are already 8 to 10 year old batteries so buying cheaper and stocking up is no real bargain since most likely by the time you need them again the extra batteries will have already expired if they aren't dead flat right out of the package.

Sometimes its not worth the bother of the "Free" returns for something that costs less than $10.

Windshield wiper blade refils is another one that gets me with lifetime free replacements, you just pay the shipping to send to old ones back along with the shipping and handling to send you the replacements which more often than not costs more than just purchasing another refill locally. Plus how many folks can go for 6 to 8 weeks without their wipers.

If you have a store like Batteries Plus or a decent Pharmacy or Photo Shop they will have a battery tester and will check out those batteries to see if they are any good at all to begin with. If you still have a Radio Shack nearby they will be able to test the batteries too.

And just a reminder: most of us have found that the CR2032 battery fits fine, and it should last longer. I used a 2032 in my main fob, and a 2025 in the backup. One person (Tim?) did have trouble with a 2032 not fitting well, but I think that was it.

LeftieBiker said:
And just a reminder: most of us have found that the CR2032 battery fits fine, and it shouldl last longer. I used a 2032 in my main fob, and a 2025 in the backup. One person (Tim?) did have trouble with a 2032 not fitting well, but I think that was it.
+1 although I found the 2032 fit better in the older 3 button remote although I also got the cover to close on my newer 4 button remote, but just barely. The 2032 and 2025 batteries are the same diameter but the 2032 is a bit fatter and also has 40??% more capacity so should last longer, oh and is generally the same price as the 2025.
Kind of like AA and AAA batteries, generally cost exactly the same price but one has a fair amount larger capacity although in the case of AA and AAA your not going to be able to get a AA battery in a device that originally took a AAA battery. I do have adapters that let one use a AAA battery in a AA device but never really use them, more for emergencies when I don't have a AA battery but do have a AAA.

good to know the 2032 still fits. I am wondering why they don't design it using 2032. One year is too short. They should design it with better user experience.

jjeff said:
LeftieBiker said:
And just a reminder: most of us have found that the CR2032 battery fits fine, and it shouldl last longer. I used a 2032 in my main fob, and a 2025 in the backup. One person (Tim?) did have trouble with a 2032 not fitting well, but I think that was it.
+1 although I found the 2032 fit better in the older 3 button remote although I also got the cover to close on my newer 4 button remote, but just barely. The 2032 and 2025 batteries are the same diameter but the 2032 is a bit fatter and also has 40??% more capacity so should last longer, oh and is generally the same price as the 2025.
Kind of like AA and AAA batteries, generally cost exactly the same price but one has a fair amount larger capacity although in the case of AA and AAA your not going to be able to get a AA battery in a device that originally took a AAA battery. I do have adapters that let one use a AAA battery in a AA device but never really use them, more for emergencies when I don't have a AA battery but do have a AAA.

Thanks for all the info. I took it out and put it back in and it works. Maybe it wasn't making full contact but the battery works and I'll assume the rest do too.

But it's a good point, these batteries could be really old and not last very long but at $1 each, I'm okay with it.

I have had the same situation. This is very strange, I don't see any rust, I did not bend any metal to make it better spring, why does it improve the function?

LeafMuranoDriver said:
Thanks for all the info. I took it out and put it back in and it works. Maybe it wasn't making full contact but the battery works and I'll assume the rest do too.

But it's a good point, these batteries could be really old and not last very long but at $1 each, I'm okay with it.

RockyNv said:
LeafMuranoDriver said:

Double check what you actually got. I just searched Amazon for CR2025 Energizer batteries for $4.99 and the five/six packs that were listed were not CR2025 at 3 volts but LR44 at 1.5 volts. The only five pack CR2025 I saw at $4.99 were Eunicell with the most common review saying they only lasted a few days.

The Energizer CR2025 are supposed to be good for 10 years from date of manufacture however many Amazon bargains on them are already 8 to 10 year old batteries so buying cheaper and stocking up is no real bargain since most likely by the time you need them again the extra batteries will have already expired if they aren't dead flat right out of the package.
If you ordered batteries from Amazon, if they were from some random 3rd-party reseller instead of Amazon itself, I suspect many/most of the cheap "name brand" ones are counterfeits. Who knows what you'll get w/those? The Chinese counterfeit everything.

I've never ordered coin cells from Amazon. I buy them from brick and mortar Fry's or Daiso. Daiso usually has Mitsubishi branded CR2032 and CR2025 for $1.50 per 2 pack.

cwerdna said:
RockyNv said:
LeafMuranoDriver said:

If you ordered batteries from Amazon, if they were from some random 3rd-party reseller instead of Amazon itself, I suspect many/most of the cheap "name brand" ones are counterfeits. Who knows what you'll get w/those? The Chinese counterfeit everything.

I've never ordered coin cells from Amazon. I buy them from brick and mortar Fry's or Daiso. Daiso usually has Mitsubishi branded CR2032 and CR2025 for $1.50 per 2 pack.

I don't buy disposable batteries online period. Those are one of the few items I only by from a local brick and mortar shop. It usually does not pay to buy button cells in bulk for devices that only need fresh ones every 3 to 5 years as most often they will die of old age or get misplaced before you get a chance to use them.

cwerdna said:
They came from Amazon Prime (direct), no 3rd party. I usually get anything on Amazon direct so there's a good return policy.

Many people said about the Prime in this thread. I do also have Prime, but I always thought the rules for returns are the same for Prime and non-Prime members. Am I correct?

LeafMuranoDriver said:
cwerdna said:
They came from Amazon Prime (direct), no 3rd party. I usually get anything on Amazon direct so there's a good return policy.

Don't want to get too far off topic.... I meant Prime as in buying direct from Amazon since all 3rd party sellers are not "Prime eligible" and this is the difference between free returns vs. being charged or not able to return.
fetv said:
Many people said about the Prime in this thread. I do also have Prime, but I always thought the rules for returns are the same for Prime and non-Prime members. Am I correct?

LeafMuranoDriver said:
cwerdna said:

Not all Prime items are sold by Amazon, some are from 3rd party sellers and delivered by Amazon. I look for those items when making a purchase to avoid the sales tax. Free returns just means no re-stocking charge, but there is still a freight charge unless the item is damaged or defective.

Back