DIY level 3 charger at home using batteries (brainstorm)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpokoraw1

In another thread I saw this interesting future evse charger:

http://evsolutions.avinc.com/uploads/products/1_AV_HCA_061010.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

... using batteries to store a charge that could recharge via 120v service.

But why stop at just providing level 2, 3.7kw charge?? I was curious... what would it take to do the same thing with a level 3?

jpokoraw1 said:
But why stop at just providing level 2, 3.7kw charge?? I was curious... what would it take to do the same thing with a level 3?

Money. And lots of it. Actually, I heard you could make a small fortune at this; you just have to start with a big one.

I think it would look like this:

http://www.sustainablebusinessoregon.com/articles/2012/02/psus-electric-avenue-gets-new-fast.html?page=all" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

" the system — which costs about $90,000" plus install....

Sure, throw more money at it with solar, then sell it back (if your state / province allows that) your excess at the wholesale rate of 3.5 cents. What could go wrong?

A better plan... Send me all your money, and I will buy a Ferrari and drive it really fast everywhere. The End.

The concept is has some merit but couldn't be done anytime soon for any reasonable amount of $. In time the cost for the solar panels, the EVSE or DCQC and the batts will come down, maybe to the point where something like this would make sense in a remote location off-grid scenario. The current price for a kWh for a battery pack (assuming it would have to be several times larger than the current Leaf's) would probably be the greatest limiting factor.

its like anything else...scale. Costco is cheap, if you have $200 to spend to save $50.

for those of u in a multi housing situation like a condo association, i would look into a very large solar array that could generate the power you need where it could provide a dozen 240 volt stations and maybe a dual head QC that would be shared. after all, the most effective use of it would be 15 minute boost charges (it would be at home so a 100% charge would be a rare need i am guessing) and you could do a dozen a day.

now, guessing unless you live in a sunbelt, you might only gather enough charge for 3-4 QCs a day. if you have 20 homeowners in on this, it might be a bit of a "discussion" as to who gets one of those coveted boosts...

a lot of renewable companies are now offering "community projects" which is sized for 20-100 residences, large farms, small businesses, etc.

Won't there be a pile of batteries in old leaf's that could be used soon? I'm sure the 1/2 cap batteries from phoenix will be a great source to start with!

I've ofter wondered about the do it your-self level 3 charger.
Most people would have scoffed and smirked about a do it yourself level 2 EVSE, but I have one, and you can get the components on here to do it too.
I'm an EE, CE, ME, and this isn't Rocket Surgery.

So, Level 3 DC.
Get a 480 to 220 step down transformer off e-bay or somewhere, run it backwards (they don't care, as long as the current capacity is there), build a bank of rectifiers to get your DC, and somebody build a board to "negotiate" with the car, and an "epoxy mock-up" plug using banana plugs, and we could pull this off I think.

If you want to do it for free using solar panels, the others are correct.
Set up your system, sell the excess to the grid, and use it back when you need it.
Batteries are an investment, they go bad, they take up space, and they are expensive.
(But you are correct- you would be starting with DC)

I'm just as interested in what they do in Japan using their Leaf's as backup power with a Leaf-at-home kit.
They promised these things would be available here last year, but I've seen nothing.
This too is something we ought to be able to "Rig" for cheap using some solar-inverter parts.
Just saying.....

Ingineer?

KillaWhat said:
I'm just as interested in what they do in Japan using their Leaf's as backup power with a Leaf-at-home kit.
They promised these things would be available here last year, but I've seen nothing.
This too is something we ought to be able to "Rig" for cheap using some solar-inverter parts.
Just saying.....

Ingineer?
There are a couple of posts about the Nissan vehicle to grid unit on the forum. Here's one example - fast forward to 8:00:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4vyAQryRyw[/youtube]

So, maybe not an idea for the home...

But what about a business or non-profit? There are many government incentives to buy solar. What if we just happen to attach a charging station to it? Could you generate enough solar energy to eventually break even by selling the power back + goverment incentives + selling the charge to consumers?

I imagine if you went pure non-profit, then you could open the door to many different federal and state level grants.

If someone were able to figure out the math... and distribute that info to the community to start building these non-profit chargers across the country... I think that would make internet history lol.

Back