DIY Horn Upgrade Mod - Updated Jan 12

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OrientExpress said:
Don't forget to mention that the folks who wish to do the horn upgrade at a future Leaf meeting should also supply one of those pigtail wire harness with the correct wire gauge and male/female connector ends. It wasn't obvious unless you have read the threads properly.

If I can get a general idea of how many want to do this mod at the next meeting, I will fabricate some pigtails, and bring them.

Thank you so much for your kind gesture! Yes, I will be planning on the upgrade at the meet.

I would love a ready-made pigtail so I could go after the upgrade myself. Being sub-electrical, It is the only part of the install that makes me go--eek. The rest of it is just totally new territory.
I doubt i will drive in from SoCal--but i would certainly go to a SoCal event to get help on this.

leafnode said:
leafnode said:
So I finally selected and installed the horn upgrade. Went with an Italian compact electric air horn from http://www.griotsgarage.com

Sounds great!

Installation was a breeze from the bottom; no lift or Jack's required. In fact, you don't even have to completely removed the bottom cover to get enough access o to the horn.

Here's a link to hear how it sounds - http://www.griotsgarage.com/text/sounds/77839CompactHorn.mp3

Cheers

OMG, I LOVE the sound of the Italian compact big truck horn! It's $70 but sounds so sweet...

OrientExpress said:
OK, Horn pigtails for MXP and Ready2plugin. Who else?
This is great! I was thinking of bringing a set of horns and a pigtail just in case someone decided, on the spot, to want/do the upgrade.

Maybe we should make a tools list as well?
12 mm box wrench or socket
10 mm box wrench or socket
#1 flat blade screwdriver
needle nose pliers (for grabbing connectors? or holding small bolts)

Also when we did the one at Gathering #5, we didn't have the extra bolt that Orient Express recommended, and maybe we should add some lock washers for the back of the horn?

Once we get the final list in hand, I'll post it over on the BayLEAFs thread.

Thanks gascant, OE for the demo..
I just did the upgrade and it went smooth.. My next one on my Leaf is gonna be speaker upgrade..

OrientExpress said:
Send me a PM with your address, and I'll make you one and send it to you.
I bought the horn and thinking of upgrading myself too but I am not sure about this pigtail thing being a total electrical noob. Would it be too much to ask for a pigtail? .. only if you have time though. Many thanks.

update: I managed to get a coworker to help me make a pigtail. Wish me luck this weekend!

mwalsh said:
Just today ordered my horns. Been crossing my fingers that I wouldn't have to use my stock horn in anger until I got around to it, but had to the other day and was, again, completely underwhelmed by the performance.
The FIAMM El Grande really gets some attention. People look around when they hear it. My wife loves it!

orient express,
I got the wrenches and began the over-the-top install.
Your picture doesnt correspond to my car.
There is a cover on top of the coolant tank, that runs across the front of the engine compartment.
it must be removed but has odd fasteners.
did you have that, too?

I went back and read the top of your post:
Accessing the Horn from the top of the car
Next open the hood and remove the front bezel that covers the radiators. It is held in with way too many pop fasteners, but they are easily removable with a small screwdriver to pry them up.

you covered that. :oops:

Installed the horns..woohoo!

But I have 2 'extra' pop fasteners which I cannot locate where it came from!

By the way, I tried both methods and I think the under method is easier. All I needed to do was to jack up the front left wheel. The most difficult part for me was removing the OEM horn. It took a numbed left arm before I could unscrew it sucessfully.

jackal said:
By the way, I tried both methods and I think the under method is easier. All I needed to do was to jack up the front left wheel.
I did it from underneath as well. I drove the front wheels up onto Rhino Ramps. If you're going to do it from underneath, you can probably do a lot worse than using ramps.

The LEAF's plentiful and easily controlled torque right off tip-in makes it much easier to drive up onto the ramp than with my ICE car with a manual tranny. It's even easier to drive up on to the ramps than my wife's BMW 528 with an auto tranny. There is virtually no chance of driving over the ramp's little stop lip.

Lay down a "mat" from a cut-opened cardboard box and work away at your leisure.

jackal said:
Installed the horns..woohoo!

But I have 2 'extra' pop fasteners which I cannot locate where it came from!

By the way, I tried both methods and I think the under method is easier. All I needed to do was to jack up the front left wheel. The most difficult part for me was removing the OEM horn. It took a numbed left arm before I could unscrew it sucessfully.
Maybe from the side of the cover? There were two that face the rear of the car in front, near the hood latch. At least, that's how I remember it :?

gascant said:
Maybe from the side of the cover? There were two that face the rear of the car in front, near the hood latch. At least, that's how I remember it :?
Found them. You are right, there are behind the cover (not the top). Good memory! Thanks!

Just finished doing my swap. Facebook photo album here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150277862329844.345467.704969843&type=1

Trying to upload a video showing the noticeable difference between horns to YouTube, but seem to be having some difficulty. So here is a simple link to a copy I've put up on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150277986704844&oid=141137487795

I admire your initiative in upgrading your horns, guys. I was just wondering why none of you decided to go really big, if you're going bigger.

Here's a fellow who did just that. How would a set of these look on a LEAF?

scaled.php

mwalsh said:
Just finished doing my swap. Facebook photo album here:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150277862329844.345467.704969843&type=1

Trying to upload a video showing the noticeable difference between horns to YouTube, but seem to be having some difficulty. So here is a simple link to a copy I've put up on Facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/v/101502778...lowfullscreen="true" width="400" height="300"

link is abandoned.

as in, here is what it says:
This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

mwalsh said:
thankyouOB said:
link is abandoned.

Huh? Don't know what you mean by "abandoned". Both work for me.

Try this instead:

http://static.ak.fbcdn.net/rsrc.php/v1/yW/r/reIZTdNTHIS.swf?v=10150277877464844&ev=0

nice sound on the one right above, but here is what comes up for the previous "facebook" photo show:

This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed right now. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.

Back