DIY Horn Upgrade Mod - Updated Jan 12

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did that too. I also pressed that seemingly redundant bolt (below the original horn bracket bolt) into service for the second horn's bracket:

Nice photos mwalsh. It shows that you have plenty of clearance going in from the bottom to work comfortably.

Be sure you adjust the horn on the left so that it is pointing down to prevent it getting moisture in it.

228899_10150277862534844_704969843_7539280_105840_n.jpg

I accomplished the horn mod yesterday. Worst thing that happened was, thanks to my clumsy fingers, one of the nuts fell into the tray UNDER the radiator, I kept pushing it under the radiator, then had to coax it back into view, finally managed to get the dang thing on its side where I got needle-nose pliers and plucked it out, took 20 minutes to finally get the dang thing. A word to the wise, avoid this frustration.

fsu77gt said:
I accomplished the horn mod yesterday. Worst thing that happened was, thanks to my clumsy fingers, one of the nuts fell into the tray UNDER the radiator, I kept pushing it under the radiator, then had to coax it back into view, finally managed to get the dang thing on its side where I got needle-nose pliers and plucked it out, took 20 minutes to finally get the dang thing. A word to the wise, avoid this frustration.

top or bottom entry, and can you say what you would do to prevent this?

thankyouOB said:
fsu77gt said:

This also happened to me and I mentioned it earlier on this thread in a post I wrote (top post on page 5). It took me longer than 20 minutes to get it out. I think it'd happen more easily with the top entry approach, although it can happen with the bottom entry approach as well, and in which case there's no way you can fish the nut out from the bottom approach. To prevent this, you should really put a sheet over the radiator and make sure it goes over the bottom well of the radiator where the nuts can fall into.

Let's hope it won't happen to anyone else again, since this now has been warned twice by 2 different members.

Volusiano said:
thankyouOB said:
fsu77gt said:

This also happened to me and I mentioned it earlier on this thread in a post I wrote (top post on page 5). It took me longer than 20 minutes to get it out. I think it'd happen more easily with the top entry approach, although it can happen with the bottom entry approach as well, and in which case there's no way you can fish the nut out from the bottom approach. To prevent this, you should really put a sheet over the radiator and make sure it goes over the bottom well of the radiator where the nuts can fall into.

Let's hope it won't happen to anyone else again, since this now has been warned twice by 2 different members.

thanks. it will be my solstice celebration gift to myself.

It was a top entry, and other than the previous comments which I now realize I should have done, just be EXTRA careful with the nuts as you try to screw them on. I even tried a magnetic screwdriver, but it did not seem to work, I guess the nuts are aluminum?

A simpler way is to bolt the horns to the two hangers first then just bolt the two hangers to the org hanger location and pushed on the connectors.
I did go underside it was a breeze
I Did use a drop of locktight to all the bolts to make sure they stayed in place

Finally decided to change the horn this weekend after nearly getting run off the road last week by some jerk in an SUV on his cell phone. Laid on the horn pretty heavy but I'm not sure he even heard it. To make matters worse, he was a solo driver changing into the carpool lane to bypass some slow traffic.

Anyway...I went in from the top because I don't have any ramps or access to a lift. It was a little tight to work in there but I managed to get the job done in about an hour. I went with the same method as mwalsh where I mounted each of the two horns onto the two bolts that are available. I made a second pigtail connector to hook up the ground lug for each horn.

Thank you to OrientExpress for providing instructions. I'm looking foward, so to speak, to the next opportunity to use my new horn.

Would adding a relay to the EL Grande twins make any diferance to the db thay put out?

As the stock wiring was a very small gauge and while much louder than the Meep Meep I feel that they may have a lot more to offer with more power?

Brightonuk said:
Would adding a relay to the EL Grande twins make any diferance to the db thay put out?

As the stock wiring was a very small gauge and while much louder than the Meep Meep I feel that they may have a lot more to offer with more power?

The gauge of the stock wiring is just fine for the El Grande horns. It would not make any difference at all to add a direct relay operated circuit.

Brightonuk said:
Probably not; the stock horn is already controlled by a relay and is on a 10A fuse, and the Fiamm El Grande only draws 10A.

Brightonuk said:
Yeah, the stock wires are indeed delicate, but I have no idea if stouter wire would affect the Fiamms' max volume, or their "ramp-up" time. I kinda suspect not, or at least, not enough to be measurable, but I don't know for sure.

Thanks for the guide, I did this one yesterday.

I went from the top and was able to move the coolant tank out of the way without removing the tubes, but not after I spent 20 minutes locating clamps around the garage.

After I installed mine, I checked the voltage at the horns and found that there was only a .3 volt drop at the horns compared to the voltage at the 12 volt battery. Thus, it would not likely make any appreciable difference.

Brightonuk said:
Yeah, the stock wires are indeed delicate, but I have no idea if stouter wire would affect the Fiamms' max volume, or their "ramp-up" time. I kinda suspect not, or at least, not enough to be measurable, but I don't know for sure.[/quote]

I love that horn. I had a mechanic put it in for 60 bucks. No need to change the relay.

The thing gets some road respect. I cannot believe the crap Nissan put in. It should be illegal as a safety issue. Good job, Fiamm!

TomT said:
After I installed mine, I checked the voltage at the horns and found that there was only a .3 volt drop at the horns compared to the voltage at the 12 volt battery. Thus, it would not likely make any appreciable difference.

Brightonuk said:
Yeah, the stock wires are indeed delicate, but I have no idea if stouter wire would affect the Fiamms' max volume, or their "ramp-up" time. I kinda suspect not, or at least, not enough to be measurable, but I don't know for sure.
As I recall, the wiring harness for the horn has 18 gauge wires in it, which can support at least 14 Amps (depending on which ampacity chart you reference). The circuit is fused at 10 Amps and the horns may use 8. So, if you made your pigtail well and used 18 ga wire, you should be fine.

mwalsh said:
So, the big question....did Nissan take notice of what we've been up to in this thread and upgrade the horn for the 2012 model?

Nope. I just ordered the FIAMMs :p

mwalsh said:
So, the big question....did Nissan take notice of what we've been up to in this thread and upgrade the horn for the 2012 model?

I changed out my 2012 "meep" yesterday for a set of Fiams. I also didn't bother disconnecting the coolant tank. I just flipped it up out of the way while I worked.

Back