different ways to increase range...neutral?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RVD

i live about 30 miles from SEA (seattle-tacoma airport).

i had a business trip recently where i got a ride from one of my friends. i drove down to the airport and went from 100% down to 55% (so 45% used) when i got out of the car. my friend drove my car back to my house and when he got home, he sent me a picture showing that he was at 19% (so 36% used). this was really early on a sunday morning so there was no traffic and i was driving in B mode mostly at around 60 or so mph. i tried to regen here and there and drove conservatively as i usually do (no sudden and hard accelerations, etc.).

the same friend picked me up from the airport and when he got to the airport the car was at 65% (so 35% used). i asked how he is able to make the same trip as me by using 10% less battery than me and he just said "i drive differently than you."

when pressed for more details, he said that he drove the car in D and eco mode but also shifts into neutral whenever it goes downhill. he drives the car up to about 60 mph and then when downhill (or slightly downhill) he's in neutral so the car stays in the 60-70mph range and if it goes too fast he puts the car into B mode to slow down (and then back to neutral again).

sure enough, when we got to my house, the car was at 32% (so 33% used).

i generally hear that it's not good to coast in neutral on the freeway and streets. some even say that it doesn't help save gas anyway in an ICE car. i can understand that if i'm in a situation where i have to move away quickly (e.g., another car veers into my lane), it's bad to be in neutral but are there other reasons why we all shouldn't drive this way to increase range?

All EVS have neutral. There are many threads beating this topic to death.

oh ok. i did some searches but didn't find anything. probably just need to search some more.

and yes, the 2014 (and all cars) have neutral.

I can see that in Drive mode you get less resistance and better roll so it doesn't slow you down as much, Same topic but another thread, some posted that it's illegal to drive in Neutral. I have coasted down hill in Neutral, gone faster that way but could never see the savings at the end of the trip.

See Stoaty's Guide to Energy Efficient Driving of the Leaf.
Starting page 11 for several pages and some further on page 16.http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5508&hilit=guide&start=100#p281749" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May be illegal on downgrade in CA and some other states.
Has some energy savings if done safely.
There are risks. Don't ever shift to Reverse to get to Neutral quickly below 7 mph. VERY BAD. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16637&hilit=+reverse#p365200" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This has been discussed at length. In my experience shifting to 'N' in gentle slopes is a great way of increasing your efficiency and range and I use that technique quite often. Even sometimes when I roll into a stop light from anything above 45 mph. Of course when the slope is a bit steep and you run the risk the going too fast for the conditions, then try and get it to 'D' to reduce the speed and get some regen back. All this 'B' and ECO modes are just total nonsense. If I need to get more regen I can always press the brakes a little to get the exact same effect. It also puts me in a mode to stop immediately if needed

Bottom line: 'No regen is the best regen', except when you have to slow down. If you have to slow down, then use Regen as your first defence and the last option as the brakes.

mkjayakumar said:
...All this 'B' and ECO modes are just total nonsense. If I need to get more regen I can always press the brakes a little to get the exact same effect. It also puts me in a mode to stop immediately if needed...
While I agree with most of what you said I will point out that B and Eco are very useful for those of us in the mountains to keep speed under control when descending steeper slopes. This may not be apparent to flatlanders but it is a really big deal for mountain drivers.

Also, Eco makes it much, much easier to drive efficiently because the A pedal is power mapped — as opposed to acceleration mapped in D — so it is easier to hold a particular power level, including zero (the equivalent of neutral) in Eco.

And, on topic, another use for neutral is when slowing due to a lower speed limit ahead. Shift to neutral and just let drag slow the car, and resume D or Eco and cruise when you hit the desired speed. No inefficient braking, regen or otherwise, required. The LEAF coasts really well.

Back