Diamond Bar to LA

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulk

planning on driving from Diamond Bar, CA to downtown LA, round trip about 65 miles. all highway.
mostly flat surface driving, except for couple of low grade hills.

it's mostly down grade from Diamond Bar to LA, but vice versa coming back.
driving at the range of 60-65mph, ECO OFF, NO AC.

have anyone in SoCal tried this range? do you think I can make it back without recharging?

It isn't actually flat, I think that Diamond Bar is a few hundred feet higher, so you will use a little more energy on the way back. If your Leaf is a month old, I would charge to 100% and drive 55 MPH. Definitely won't be a problem then. The time to think about driving faster is when you know your Leaf well.

A lot will depend on your speed. If the 60 Freeway is its usual rush-hour speed, you'll be lucky to see 20 MPH on speedometer, so your range won't be a problem :lol:

But if you drive like a typical LA-driver, to whom the posted speed limit is merely a suggestion, probably not especially as the battery ages.

Stoaty said:
It isn't actually flat, I think that Diamond Bar is a few hundred feet higher, so you will use a little more energy on the way back. If your Leaf is a month old, I would charge to 100% and drive 55 MPH. Definitely won't be a problem then. The time to think about driving faster is when you know your Leaf well.

yes, you're right....DB is definately higher than downtown LA. what I meant to say was that there are no major hills to climb up.
100% I can do, but I don't know about driving 55mph on saturday morning when there is no traffic. I would say more like 60-65 mph is realistic speed.

paulk said:
I don't know about driving 55mph on saturday morning when there is no traffic. I would say more like 60-65 mph is realistic speed.

You can do it. Just hang out in the far right lane with the truckers, who are legally bound to 55 in this state. Those who do dare to exceed it will simply go around you in the 2nd to the right lane, and most truckers seem to like to hang out in that lane anyway so they don't have to deal with merging traffic.

paulk said:
100% I can do, but I don't know about driving 55mph on saturday morning when there is no traffic.
I assume you are suggesting you won't be able to restrain yourself. :D If you have cruise control, set it at 55. I drive from West LA to Claremont almost every Saturday morning and can assure you that 55 (what I drive) is not a problem.

Have you checked plugshare to see if there's somewhere to plug in near your destination? Then you can do 80 the whole way.

EDIT: Wow, there's nothing downtown. There's a quick charger at the LA Power building though. You could stop there for ten minutes and have plenty of buffer.

pkulak said:
Have you checked plugshare to see if there's somewhere to plug in near your destination? Then you can do 80 the whole way.

EDIT: Wow, there's nothing downtown. There's a quick charger at the LA Power building though. You could stop there for ten minutes and have plenty of buffer.

Downtown LA? There's plenty of places to plug in, including:

Downtown LA Nissan -- also has a QC but can be frequently tied up during the day
Union Station -- occasionally ICEd
LA Live/Staples Center/Convention Center
Several downtown parking garages
LA DWP -- if not ICEd (which I posted about recently)

Now if you want free, your choices whittle down significantly.

[/quote]
I drive from West LA to Claremont almost every Saturday morning and can assure you that 55 (what I drive) is not a problem.[/quote]

From West LA to Claremont on one full charge?
if yes, can you give me more details on this round trip?

I can not drive at 55 but I can if I let the cruse control do the driving.

I go to a swap meet an Redondo Beach from Anaheim (39 Miles) this way with no problem. I usually arrive at home just as the low battery lady wakes up. I still have very low battery left.

Are you using the carpool lane? If so, I think you need to charge your car when you get to downtown. You will use approximately 25-28 miles range traveling to downtown with the speed of 55-65 mph (65mph on a 10 miles carpool lanes) and 30-35 miles (because of the hills) on your way back from downtown to DB.
There are several places you can charge your car in downtown....LADWP and Downtown Nissan for quick charge. See plugshare for details.

paulk said:
From West LA to Claremont on one full charge?
if yes, can you give me more details on this round trip?
Yes, I charge to 100%, drive to Claremont, then charge to 80% on L2 at my sisters while I hike Mt. Baldy. When we get back from the hike, drive back to West LA.

GlennD said:
I can not drive at 55 but I can if I let the cruse control do the driving.

I go to a swap meet an Redondo Beach from Anaheim (39 Miles) this way with no problem. I usually arrive at home just as the low battery lady wakes up. I still have very low battery left.

i'm assuming 39 miles is round trip?

and the low battery lady wakes up with 3 bars left?

No its 39miles each way. Just about the max range. Certainly not possible at normal freeway speeds.

Its interesting to see the Lincomatic SOC distance to low hit zero.

Back