Dealer reasoning re: non-local lease transaction

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caffeinekid

The quick and dirty:

Located an orphan that I wish to lease and was approved. Unfortunately, dealer is not local. They are now telling me that I need to come in to complete the transaction. Any insight? I had planned on merely signing the approprite paper work, submiiting a deposit and arranging shipping. Now I am feeling the type of smoke being blown up my arse that is only experienced when dealing with auto dealerships. I am not exactly a noob at this and my credit is tier 0.

caffeinekid said:
The quick and dirty:

Located an orphan that I wish to lease and was approved. Unfortunately, dealer is not local. They are now telling me that I need to come in to complete the transaction. Any insight? I had planned on merely signing the approprite paper work, submiiting a deposit and arranging shipping. Now I am feeling the type of smoke being blown up my arse that is only experienced when dealing with auto dealerships. I am not exactly a noon at this and my credit is tier 0.
Since one can now close a home without going in to the lender's office, I expect that it is possible to do this "remotely." However, the car dealer is not working with an escrow company or mobile notary to protect their interests, and because cars move and homes (usually) don't, their risk is higher once the vehicle leaves the lot.

It seems reasonable for them to want to do the transaction face-to-face. In fact, some dealers, North Bay Nissan in Petaluma, for example, insist on a face-to-face for all leases and sales being completed for local or out-of-town delivery. Perhaps you should ask if there is anything you can do increase their confidence in you and your lease so a face-to-face is not required -- higher security deposit, waiting for check to clear, notary service, etc. . .

Back