Dealer is trying to price gouge me for a new battery - any recommendations?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jhartman said:
I appreciate the comments - but no one has really answered my question! Yes I could get a new car, but I drove the 2016 model and was so very disappointed in it really didn't have anything my 2011 does. I live in Los Angeles which has a large sales tax and no more state rebates so the cost is more than the sticker price. Plus my insurance would go up. My idea is to get a new battery which will hopefully last 4 years and then replace the car when a better model is available.

My car is in the heat and I have charged it to 100% for a number of years hence the loss in bars isn't really a surprise.

So back to my original question - anyone have a honest service person or can recommend a third party party? I did contact one company about a third battery battery but haven't heard back from them.

Jennifer
I inquired on the price of a salvage battery, and the price offered (which surely is negotiable) is $4000, and it was located in San Franciso. see http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=22518 (I was wondering about using the pack to buffer solar production).

That said, while the idea of a new battery makes total sense in a rational way, I am not so sure it's pragmatic... However, just thinking out loud, you might repost looking for a battery swap install.

As drees have pointed out, Nissan perhaps should consider a goodwill maintaining approach and meet you half way.

Wishful thinking on my own part assumed a better charger infrastructure to address longer distance travel, that today, remains a bit of an adventure...

Wishing best look and please share how you resolve (and your warning about Downtown Nissan is noted, thanks).

drees said:
4. Drive the car until it's so weak that it won't power the car any more. Get this done under the 8-year 100k-mile pack warranty. Not sure how long this will take, but you'll have to get down under 6 bars remaining.
Is this known to have worked for anyone???

Stoaty said:
Is this known to have worked for anyone???
Not that I'm aware of. Certainly the riskiest of options but you may not have any other choice if the other options don't pan out and you can't afford a replacement pack.

jhartman said:
I appreciate the comments - but no one has really answered my question! Yes I could get a new car, but I drove the 2016 model and was so very disappointed in it really didn't have anything my 2011 does. I live in Los Angeles which has a large sales tax and no more state rebates so the cost is more than the sticker price. Plus my insurance would go up. My idea is to get a new battery which will hopefully last 4 years and then replace the car when a better model is available.
'16 Leaf SV and SL have tons of improvements over the '11.

You can get an idea of the improvements from http://sfbayleafs.org/news/2013/01/2013-nissan-leaf-product-highlights/ and http://sfbayleafs.org/commentary/2013/09/2013-vs-2011-nissan-leaf-whats-new-whats-gone-whats-changed/ that began with '13. '16 SV and SL have a 30 kWh battery that is rated at 107 miles of range on the EPA test vs. 73 for yours (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=30979&id=37066&id=37067). '16 SV and SL also have an 8 year/100K mile capacity warranty instead of 5 years/60K miles. '15+ Leafs also come with the "lizard" battery which is more resistant to heat-related degradation.

I don't have time to type all the other improvements.

I pointed to my saga of buying a used '13 Leaf SV w/premium package ('11 and '12 never had Around View Monitor or a better stereo as a choice) over a year ago for $9,325 + tax and license at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=432095#p432095. I still have all 12 capacity bars at 37K miles but am steadily creeping towards losing 1 capacity bar, judging by Leaf Spy stats.

cwerdna said:
jhartman said:
'16 Leaf SV and SL have tons of improvements over the '11.

You can get an idea of the improvements from http://sfbayleafs.org/news/2013/01/2013-nissan-leaf-product-highlights/ and http://sfbayleafs.org/commentary/2013/09/2013-vs-2011-nissan-leaf-whats-new-whats-gone-whats-changed/ that began with '13. '16 SV and SL have a 30 kWh battery that is rated at 107 miles of range on the EPA test vs. 73 for yours (http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=30979&id=37066&id=37067). '16 SV and SL also have an 8 year/100K mile capacity warranty instead of 5 years/60K miles. '15+ Leafs also come with the "lizard" battery which is more resistant to heat-related degradation.

I don't have time to type all the other improvements.

I pointed to my saga of buying a used '13 Leaf SV w/premium package ('11 and '12 never had Around View Monitor or a better stereo as a choice) over a year ago for $9,325 + tax and license at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=432095#p432095. I still have all 12 capacity bars at 37K miles but am steadily creeping towards losing 1 capacity bar, judging by Leaf Spy stats.

The newer models have some improvements, but they also lack some nice features the 2011 and 2012 models had. I still miss the higher torque (and quicker acceleration) of the original motor, the adjustable headlights, the ability to turn off the noise maker, and the electric parking brake after driving the 2015 for 19 months. You should be able to get a better price for a new battery from another dealer--call around for quotes if you really want to buy a new battery.

GerryAZ said:
The newer models have some improvements, but they also lack some nice features the 2011 and 2012 models had. I still miss the higher torque (and quicker acceleration) of the original motor, the adjustable headlights, the ability to turn off the noise maker, and the electric parking brake after driving the 2015 for 19 months.
I've only test driven the '11s and '12s, but never had one for even a day. But, I'll take your word about the acceleration since others who've had both have reported the same thing. Out of the bunch, I agree most of the others are nice except I don't think I'd want the electric parking brake, esp. given that its removal freed up space, where I actually put things.

On balance, I think the improvements of the '13+ SV and SL along w/some of the optional features (e.g. better stereo and Around View Monitor) more than make up for the deletions/downgrades.
GerryAZ said:
You should be able to get a better price for a new battery from another dealer--call around for quotes if you really want to buy a new battery.
Agreed.

Stanton said:
TomT said:
That is ludicrous. Try a different dealer. (Or simply get ride of it and buy something else - preferably non-Nissan...)

You no longer own a Leaf and do nothing but criticize it! Why don't you try posting on a different EV forum...preferably non-Nissan?

+1

Glyndwr1998 said:
Im no expert, however, without and diagnostics, apart from the loss of 4 bats and a huge cost to replace the pack, its worth a look at any options.

cell failures happen all the time and are very easy to spot. degradation is the same and just as easy

degradation; a gradual loss of capacity resulting in a slow decline in the distance you can drive.

cell failure; a VERY sudden loss of capacity and range usually taking no more than a few days or even hours to manifest itself. We have had people who lost 4 charge bars in a few miles. Had GOM go from 50 to _ _ _ in a few miles. That is cell failure

jhartman said:

My car is in the heat and I have charged it to 100% for a number of years hence the loss in bars isn't really a surprise.

So back to my original question - anyone have a honest service person or can recommend a third party party? I did contact one company about a third battery battery but haven't heard back from them.

Jennifer

go to another dealer. you have dozens to choose from. You should be under $6,500

its $5500 for the battery, a few hundred for the adapter you will need plus a "reasonable" labor charge. also check your laws to see if the battery is even a taxable item. in several states, batteries used expressly in electric vehicles for propulsion are sales tax free.

Because I feel it appropriate to chastise a company that treated their customers shabbily and outright lied to them. Customers have the right to know what to expect from a company and product... And I no longer own a Leaf exactly BECAUSE of that! Oh, and I do post on a number of other EV forums, in fact...

Bottom line, I ain't going away! :)

DaveinOlyWA said:
Stanton said:
TomT said:
That is ludicrous. Try a different dealer. (Or simply get ride of it and buy something else - preferably non-Nissan...)
You no longer own a Leaf and do nothing but criticize it! Why don't you try posting on a different EV forum...preferably non-Nissan?
+1

TomT said:
Because I feel it appropriate to chastise a company that treated their customers shabbily and outright lied to them. Customers have the right to know what to expect from a company and product... And I no longer own a Leaf exactly BECAUSE of that!

Those that expect perfection are always and forever disappointed.

TomT said:
... Bottom line, I ain't going away! :)
I'm glad you're still here TomT :D

We need diverse opinions.

Have to have some counterpoint to some EV enthusiasts who believe EVs are wonderful no matter what ;)

Try the store managers at some of your local auto parts stores. Before I purchased my 2014 I inquired about the battery at a local parts store and the store manager said he has already purchased the Leaf battery for a number of customers but warned that its big and heavy. I did not get a price quote but I was assured he can get them and recommend reputable shops to do the installation.

It does not hurt to ask but be sure that you are speaking to the manager or special order associate and not just a cashier who only knows whats in the regular on-line catalog.

RockyNv said:
Try the store managers at some of your local auto parts stores. Before I purchased my 2014 I inquired about the battery at a local parts store and the store manager said he has already purchased the Leaf battery for a number of customers but warned that its big and heavy. I did not get a price quote but I was assured he can get them and recommend reputable shops to do the installation.

It does not hurt to ask but be sure that you are speaking to the manager or special order associate and not just a cashier who only knows whats in the regular on-line catalog.
Sounds like he was telling you a tall one. There is no traction battery available in the aftermarket that I have heard of, the only way he could have gotten one is if he bought it at the dealer or at a junkyard. It would also be useless to the customer without the card that comes with it and a proprietary Nissan Consult machine.

Firetruck41 said:
RockyNv said:

Sounds like he was telling you a tall one. There is no traction battery available in the aftermarket that I have heard of, the only way he could have gotten one is if he bought it at the dealer or at a junkyard. It would also be useless to the customer without the card that comes with it and a proprietary Nissan Consult machine.

That would be a first for this guy, He has never failed to deliver on a promise. I'll have to double check and see what happens.

Back