Dealer called me about bad battery module in my Leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Bill Grossi from Nissan Tech Services I believe just got a hold of me and he indeed did ask Joe at Boardwalk to give me a call in order to ask me to bring in the Leaf for a full diagnosis and possibly battery module replacement. He also said it was the Leaf telematics that brought the issue to the attention of Nissan and not the annual battery check that was done a few months ago.

I also took advantage while he was on the phone to mention my Leaf suffers from an electrically noisy charger and if it could also be fixed while the car was in the shop. The electrical line noise was not much of an issue for me until I got photovoltaic solar installed recently as charging the Leaf while the inverter is active causes a high pitched and loud squeal to be produced at the inverter. So he now plans to come over sometime next week to check it out just to be sure it is the Leaf charger and not something else.

Yes, my friend Gregg (owner of StanLeafSteamer) has been
called in two times, with one module replaced the first time,
and two modules (one was the same module number), a
major bus, and the BMS (I think) replaced the second time.

They agreed that it was unlikely that the first-replaced module
had gone out of spec, but they wanted to be sure that they
got the problem.

Generally, I was impressed that the LEAF would tattle on itself. :eek:
Apparently Carwings (or at least the TCU) is good for something?

Missing the Required Annual check?

Depends upon Nissan's treatment of the word "required",
but I suspect (don't know) that they do not do anything serious.

However, if I was late, I would get it ASAP (As Soon As Possible).

toasty said:
is it ok to miss your annual battery inspection by a few weeks or a months?

or 12months exact?
Just go get it done, ASAP. Once they've done it, unless they immediately tell you that there's something wrong with your battery, I don't see how it could affect the warranty going forward. Missing maintenance is not enough to allow a manufacturer to void a warranty. They have to prove that the missed maintenance (or some sort of abuse) caused the problem before they can refuse to cover a repair. I'd say that once they do the check and pronounce the battery "OK", you should be be able to sleep soundly on this issue.

...but don't miss it again. :D

just took the leaf in for battery check. got 5 stars.

took only 10mins, and they billed nissan $10.30 for warranty service. $0 for me.
they let me watch the tech do it. and gave me the printout.

JeremyW said:
Before you take it in can you please please get someone with an ELM and an android phone to take a look at your individual cell pair voltages (and the rest of the battery info like capacity)? Enquiring minds want to know! :)
I am still happy to meet with someone in the SF Bay Area in order to take these readings before I drop the LEAF off this Friday. I am in Foster City and I am available to meet most hours.

Spies came over and we used my ELM327 clone and Turbo's app to check his battery status. The screen captures are posted below. He has a greater than 40 mV range of cell voltages where most people are in the teens and I am in the 20's. Nothing else looked odd to me, but I'm sure others here will enjoy a closer look.
Screenshot_2013-06-02-11-17-24.jpg
Screenshot_2013-06-02-11-15-39.jpg

Screenshot_2013-06-02-11-14-48.jpg
Screenshot_2013-06-02-11-13-52.jpg

So my Leaf has been in the shop at Boardwalk Nissan two weeks today. I suspect it might be another week before I get it back. Supposedly the technicians are still doing diagnostics and sending the results to Nissan headquarters in Japan as well as awaiting replacement parts. The reality is I have no idea what they are actually doing with my Leaf. Boardwalk did offer to get me a rental vehicle but I declined since it would be cheaper and less hassle for me to just drive my Prius as they would not rent me an EV. I do have a call in to Nissan to see if they can compensate me some other way. We shall see.

Spies said:
So my Leaf has been in the shop at Boardwalk Nissan two weeks today. I suspect it might be another week before I get it back. Supposedly the technicians are still doing diagnostics and sending the results to Nissan headquarters in Japan as well as awaiting replacement parts. The reality is I have no idea what they are actually doing with my Leaf. Boardwalk did offer to get me a rental vehicle but I declined since it would be cheaper and less hassle for me to just drive my Prius as they would not rent me an EV. I do have a call in to Nissan to see if they can compensate me some other way. We shall see.
Steve, was that an actual rental vehicle or a free loaner car?

surfingslovak said:
Steve, was that an actual rental vehicle or a free loaner car?
You know I am not 100% sure but I seem to think it was a rental car since when I asked Boardwalk if I could get a Leaf I was told Enterprise did not rent them any more. I have no idea what the difference would be to me between a rental car and a loaner car just the same.

Back