DC Fast Charging $$$$ Fee Poll

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TonyWilliams said:
hill said:
Bluebull said:
Although I am a monthly subscriber of eVgo (40.00 / Mo). I use the QC 4-5 times per week(16-20 per month)(2.00 per 30 minute QC), I could live with B2,C,D,F,H.
Our local QC in San Juan Capistrano charges $15 MINIMUM (no half hour choice) per charge. That presumes anyone will ever feel ok about paying that much. I have yet to see anyone stop there, once that rate was set. But you never know. Someone might, I suppose. I'd go for $10/half hour ... but NO way would I do $15.

GARY, PLEASE STOP THE NUMEROUS POSTS ABOUT HOW "BAD" THIS CHARGER IS !!! I know that you know the info you are providing is wrong,
. . . . . . . . . . . .snip . . . . . . . .
$10 per hour off peak, pro rated per MINUTE.
$15 per hour peak, pro rated per MINUTE. ................snip.........
no - you DON'T know that I know my info is wrong. It's not my info ... it's what the charger says
#1 If true, that their pricing is pro rated . . . . that's great. The QC ought to be posted pro rata.
#2 I do NOT want to hurt their business - I hope they succeed-but if it fails to run, that's a fail.
#3 Their tech support corroborated what the QC says ... $15. period. But even so, I'll take your word.

I'd LOVE for the QC to be working next time. Who wants to count on it working ... only to find it's not - and you're stranded. I'll try it again ... and sing high praises if I get so lucky. If not ... how about I just 'pretend' it was working. Would that be better?

I hear lots of folks talk about when Blink units fail to work ... L2 or QC. I've had more consistent 'luck' though, with the Blink QC's in L.A. than the OC unit. Doesn't mean I love one, or hate the other. But to bash the hopeful/faithful/trusting customer who wants to find a QC running - only to find it's not? Wow, that's great.

hill said:
no - you DON'T know that I know my info is wrong. It's not my info ... it's what the charger says
Hill, Tony is the CTO of EVoasis who owns that charger. I think he knows very well what it costs to charge there.

As far as the charger not working when you tried it - that obviously has soured you on the charger. Since then they've taken steps to mitigate the issue of people pushing the emergency stop. Plugshare reviews are very positive on the site, so it undoubtedly works very well the vast majority of the time.

drees said:
hill said:
Hill, Tony is the CTO of EVoasis who owns that charger. I think he knows very well what it costs to charge there.

As far as the charger not working when you tried it - that obviously has soured you on the charger. Since then they've taken steps to mitigate the issue of people pushing the emergency stop. Plugshare reviews are very positive on the site, so it undoubtedly works very well the vast majority of the time.

Almost 600 total charges now since install, which means it worked at least that many times!!!

hill said:
#1 If true, that their pricing is pro rated . . . . that's great. The QC ought to be posted pro rata.
#2 I do NOT want to hurt their business - I hope they succeed-but if it fails to run, that's a fail.
#3 Their tech support corroborated what the QC says ... $15. period. But even so, I'll take your word.

1. Yes, I agree. It should more clearly specify the specifics of the rate on the machine (they all should, but normally don't). I'm going to guess that you made the posting on ChargePoint labeled, "Horrible". If you had actually read the previous posts, you would have read that other reported that it was prorated.

2. Yes, it needs to run. I've asked you (now) numerous times to provide the actual time and date you had difficulties so that we could review the data to see if we could figure out what actually happened. The only real problem has been people hitting the Emergency Stop to turn it off. Otherwise, it's been very reliable, and the problems so far are not equipment related. That is a sharp contrast to EVERY Blink DC charger ever installed.

3. I have PERSONALLY addressed this with ChargePoint, but apparently they don't think it's important. What additionally would you like me to do?

I'd LOVE for the QC to be working next time. Who wants to count on it working ... only to find it's not - and you're stranded. I'll try it again ... and sing high praises if I get so lucky. If not ... how about I just 'pretend' it was working. Would that be better?

You don't need to pretend anything. If it didn't work, we want to know why. That's why I asked you to provide details. ChargePoint is a network of EV charging billing; they don't own chargers. So, I don't expect them to be all knowing about this one (the only DC charger on the ChargePoint network).

Every charger can be broken when you get there, and this one has almost 600 succesdul charges. Something must be going right, don't ya think?

I hear lots of folks talk about when Blink units fail to work ... L2 or QC. I've had more consistent 'luck' though, with the Blink QC's in L.A. than the OC unit. Doesn't mean I love one, or hate the other. But to bash the hopeful/faithful/trusting customer who wants to find a QC running - only to find it's not? Wow, that's great.

I'll just not comment on this.

TonyWilliams said:
drees said:

Almost 600 total charges now since install, which means it worked at least that many times!!!
Again . . . . that's wonderful. ........snip..........

Yes, I agree. It should more clearly specify the specifics of the rate on the machine (they all should, but normally don't). I'm going to guess that you made the posting on ChargePoint labeled, "Horrible". If you had actually read the previous posts, you would have read that other reported that it was prorated.
Unbelievable ... just when I thought enough emphasis was sufficiently made, about how IMPORTANT it is to not ACCUSE folks of doing stuff. Now I'm writing "horrible" ?!?

Try this ... "hey ... by any chance ... would you have any clue who might be leaving negative feedback on the SJC QC?"
See, that way, the persons will say "yes!" ... or they'll say ... "I don't know what in the world you're talking about". That being the case, that I don't know what you're accusing me about (AGAIN) ... I looked up charge point (OOPS ... I mean Plugshare) website to see what in the world you're talking about. I still don't know. I see 2 red negatives and 23 green positives. That's what ... 8% dissatisfaction? Over the quantity of 600 charges, that'd represent 48 EV'ers possibly getting stranded. So if you WRONGLY want to go around accusing someone ... start with some of those 48 because those neg's aren't mine.

Since you assume that the QC stations are plentiful,
then just like gas stations, charge for the Watt-Hours
delivered, which is certainly possible in California, and
let the competition determine the price, just like for
most other fuels?

garygid said:
Since you assume that the QC stations are plentiful,
then just like gas stations, charge for the Watt-Hours
delivered, which is certainly possible in California, and
let the competition determine the price, just like for
most other fuels?
That's how the CarCharging Inc. Chargepoint L2s in Monterey do it. And they could really use some competition, because they want $0.49/kWh :shock: I wonder how much business they get, even though they're in a shopping mall.

hill said:
So if you WRONGLY want to go around accusing someone ... start with some of those 48 because those neg's aren't mine.

I did get ChargePoint today to include the text "prorate by the minute", and edited Recargo and PlugShare the same.

If there's a problem at the charger, and you tried pulling the power switch on the wall to reboot it, and ChargePoint can't help you, you're welcome to call me at:

858-245-8217

At a minimum, please log the date and time you had a problem and text me, email, PM, etc.

Glad to know the prorate info will be easier to grasp. As to logging the date & time - isn't that what one is doing when calling the toll free 'help' center? Is something else necessary beyond calling their help center? I always have called on my failed charge attempts. The 'help' person eventually tells me they'll have to 'elevate the 'issue' ... up to the next level. If that call is insufficient to act as 'logging' - I'd be glad to do whatever other gymnastics are necessary. As to pulling the power switch - I'd never presume that'd necessarily act as a reset. Is that process supposed to be suggested by phone support? They never suggested it to us.

hill said:
Glad to know the prorate info will be easier to grasp. As to logging the date & time - isn't that what one is doing when calling the toll free 'help' center? Is something else necessary beyond calling their help center? I always have called on my failed charge attempts. The 'help' person eventually tells me they'll have to 'elevate the 'issue' ... up to the next level. If that call is insufficient to act as 'logging' - I'd be glad to do whatever other gymnastics are necessary. As to pulling the power switch - I'd never presume that'd necessarily act as a reset. Is that process supposed to be suggested by phone support? They never suggested it to us.

No, the reset with power disconnect is not what they would suggest to you. That's why I'm telling you. If somebody hits the emergency stop, it must be reset. ChargePoint can't throw that power lever over the phone.

The site owners (EVoasis) isn't going to get a report that Mr. Hill called at 6:54am on Dec 32.

I want the thing to work and not get a reputation that there's something wrong with it (when there isn't). So, your reports of an issue that CANNOT be resolved by repowering the machine or by ChargePoint, please call me or Angus.

hill said:
I see 2 red negatives and 23 green positives. That's what ... 8% dissatisfaction?
Those two negatives were from December 22nd and 26th when a new transformer was being put in. Nothing but positives since then.

This quick charger has enabled me to take trips from Pasadena to San Diego, and back, in the same day. It cost me about $7.50 each way, but more importantly: I couldn't have done this trip without it. I can't just-take-the-Prius, as the Leaf is my only car. It is cheaper than just-renting-the-Prius. ;)

I have had to reset it via the knife switch once. Said knife switch was located for me by a staff member after I went inside to inquire for help. The screen was flashing with a message "tap card to end session" and the chargepoint payment screen looked like it was ready to start a new session. I've used it three times since then without issue.

hill said:
Bluebull said:
Although I am a monthly subscriber of eVgo (40.00 / Mo). I use the QC 4-5 times per week(16-20 per month)(2.00 per 30 minute QC), I could live with B2,C,D,F,H.
Our local QC in San Juan Capistrano charges $15 MINIMUM (no half hour choice) per charge. That presumes anyone will ever feel ok about paying that much. I have yet to see anyone stop there, once that rate was set. But you never know. Someone might, I suppose. I'd go for $10/half hour ... but NO way would I do $15.

Just to let you know, we do not charge $15 Minimum and never have. 60 Minutes of charging at SJC during Peak (11AM-7PM) costs $15 and Off-Peak (7 days a week) costs $10. Our "average" session is about 12KwH and combined average tariff for average session (22 minutes) is about $6.50.
The 1st 2 minutes is free, so tariff starts in 3rd minute. Most drivers "hedge" a few extra Kw's, but "sip" just enough to get them home or to their "long-stop" for L2.
There is no minimum fee as is true with other EVSE operators. The unit can be set (by pressing the Advanced Option button on the screen) to charge up by Time-on-Station (minutes) or by % of Charge. As AMP's drop considerably during the second half of DC charging, the unit still uses ONLY KwH delivered for purposes of billing. If you have been billed $15 for less than 1 Hour at Peak please let me know. Hope that helps...
[email protected]

Thanks Angus - yes Tony clarified above. I haven't been by there for a while ... kinda got a case of the Charlie Brown trying to kick the football held by Lucy :?
but being the consumate optomist ... I'll check it out again!

I'd mostly only DC charge for unusual events, and am willing to pay for the privilege.

$5-$15, depending on location and amount of charge seems reasonable. For LBW to 80% .

Or $0.20 to $0.60 per kWh, or some combination of connection charge plus time plus kWh used that works out to less than $15 for a LBW to 80% charge.

About everything other than J, K and L.

i used a DCFC for the first time in middle TN last week.

to make it from nashville to atlanta.

i would say around $4 - $5 per charge. (0% to 80% )

Blinknetwork has announced the rates. Looks like days of free charging is over.

$5 for Blink members and $8 for non-members

E

If the price is much more than charging at home its not worth it unless its an emergency. If regular charging prices get too high, it will seriously harm the value proposition of an EV. The market is still trying to get started. Lots of government incentives. Trying to charge high prices for charging will choke the market and make the entire EV movement fail. At some point maybe, but we're years from showing that EVs are ready for mass market adoption. We need the 200 mile range car priced not much more than a comparable ICE car. Battery technology isn't there yet. This reminds me of several states (such as NC) charging an extra tax for EVs and hybrids because of fuel efficiency. Thats what we need, a penalty for reducing gas consumption.

DaveinOlyWA said:
Wait Till Someone Gets A Chademo Adapter For The Tesla. Wonder What Ecotality Would Think When A Tesla Sucks Up 80 KWH For $5

Yeah. And how long are they going to hog the DC chargers for ?

DaveinOlyWA said:
Wait Till Someone Gets A Chademo Adapter For The Tesla. Wonder What Ecotality Would Think When A Tesla Sucks Up 80 KWH For $5
Great point, Dave. It's obvious that per-session fees for QC is not sustainable.

Back