DC Charging observation.

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnrhansen said:
TonyWilliams said:
o00scorpion00o said:
Yes I know that the charge rate reduces as the voltage rises, but I didn't think it would reduce to 36 Kw by 50% charge.

The charger shows the Kw out and the Kw used.

No CHAdeMO charger in the world will go above 125 amps, which means that your 395 volt LEAF will charge at a MAXIMUM of 125* 395 = about 50kW.

58kW is just wrong.

Is 395 volts what the leaf battery has at 100 percent? If so it would never even draw the 125 amps. what would be a voltage where it would accept that much current?

The maximum voltage of the LEAF battery pack is 395 volts, yes.

It will, indeed, pull the full 125 amps, but obviously only where the battery pack voltage is low enough to not exceed 395 volts.

That is typically 50% SOC and below for a LEAF.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Now I'm curious. If a LEAF won't draw more than 50 kW, and this QC displayed an input of 58 kW, then it was losing 8 kW in the process? Seems a lot, doesn't it?

Yes, that *is* a lot. Bring your cooking supplies and have a BBQ on that charger!!!

JeremyW said:
It's constant current (125A maximum) till the pack voltage hits 395V then it's constant voltage with a tapering down of the current till the pack is at 80% (2011-2012 cars) or ~93% (2013+)
Yep .... and when SOME dealers left Leafs fully charged month after month ... that 80% get there really fast ... because the capacity has already met its early demise.

Or worse again when dealers fast charge the car to death. Or fast change a hot battery beyond 90%.

Last time I had that leaf it had 340 or so fast charges and about 13 level 2.

Pity I lost my Bluetooth obdII dongke to check it this time

Back