daily data log?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babynuke

Recommendations for a daily data log for a 2013 S model? No CARWINGS or Navigation system, just the dash gauges.
I record mpg at every fill-up with my ICEV.
I want to record pertinent data when I get my LEAF to extend range and battery life.
Thanks in advance!
Ty
2013 S arriving mid-September

Tough problem. If you are really interested in data, you are going to want to get a device. I summarize the ones I was aware of here:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=13324

However, if you are dead set against connecting anything to your OBD port, then I would set the charge timer to start at the same time every night and record:
Odometer
efficiency
fuel bars
how long it took to charge (based on start time and when you got the text message)

If you are charging L1 then consider getting a Kill-a-Watt at home depot so you can record power from the wall (alternative to time to charge). If L2, there are a number of devices you can use but require electrician to install.

TickTock said:
However, if you are dead set against connecting anything to your OBD port, then I would set the charge timer to start at the same time every night and record:
Odometer
efficiency
fuel bars
how long it took to charge (based on start time and when you got the text message)
Sorry, no text message, or messaging of any sort from the S! But it does have a built-in SOC meter.

Just before plugging in, I record
  • Date
  • Odometer, trip odometer, m/kWh
  • Battery temp bars and charge bars
  • SOC percentage, and whether charging to 80% or 100%
I then reset the m/kWh and trip odometer.
If I go below LBW I record the trip odometer reading when I got the warning. (Actually, I remember the number, and record it when I get home, along with the things above.)

TickTock said:
If L2, there are a number of devices you can use but require electrician to install.
Yes, I've actually purchased an EKM-25IDS but haven't gotten it installed yet.

Ray

planet4ever said:
TickTock said:
Odometer
efficiency
fuel bars
Sorry, no text message, or messaging of any sort from the S! But it does have a built-in SOC meter.

Just before plugging in, I record
  • Date
  • Odometer, trip odometer, m/kWh
  • Battery temp bars and charge bars
  • SOC percentage, and whether charging to 80% or 100%
I then reset the m/kWh and trip odometer.
If I go below LBW I record the trip odometer reading when I got the warning. (Actually, I remember the number, and record it when I get home, along with the things above.)

TickTock said:
If L2, there are a number of devices you can use but require electrician to install.
Yes, I've actually purchased an EKM-25IDS but haven't gotten it installed yet.

Ray

Same here, but I also record voltage from my GIDmeter and AH and Health % from ELM app.

I record it all on a simple paper calendar that I keep in the glove box. I transfer miles driven, odometer and mi/kWh to a spreadsheet that I use to track my kWh usage for charging (measured with a TED device) and all of our household power use and solar generation (daily).

Yes, I'm getting treatment... :lol:

Has anyone found a dash cam or any other video recorder that can be set up to record the dash displays without having to hold the camera?
Thanks!
Ty

babynuke said:
Has anyone found a dash cam or any other video recorder that can be set up to record the dash displays without having to hold the camera?
Thanks!
Ty
This is what I came up with. Drilled two 1/2" holes (5.875" centers) in a piece of scrap and attached one of the gopro mounts that came with the camera. Remove one of the headrests and slide it over the prongs. I think I may of had to ream the holes a few mils wider to get it to slide on smoothly.

Attachments

• cameramount.jpg
    cameramount.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 32
Thank you, TickTock!
Do you have a screen grab that you could post?
Until I get my LEAF, I can only speculate as to where I may be able to mount a camera.
Thanks!
Ty

Back