Current draw when off?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
arnis said:
Gen1 Leafs had problems with 12V charging - it was overcharging. Especially in hot weather.
I have never seen any evidence of overcharging of the 12V battery on our MY2011 LEAF. The biggest issue with the MY2011 LEAF's 12V charging system is undercharging leading to sulfation an hence rapid capacity loss.
arnis said:
One way to prolong life is to add distilled water. But that is temporary fix.
Our LEAF's 12V battery has used almost no water in four years of use. (Five cells are still at the "FULL LEVEL" line and one is about 3mm below it.)
arnis said:
New Leaf has lower peak voltage when Leaf is on (or charging).
Unfortunately, the system spends too little time at a charging voltage (14.4V) and too much time at a float voltage (13.1V).

My bad then. I read somewhere about overcharge. It might be exactly the opposite.
As I don't have that car I can't verify. I know that it must be measured using
external measuring device and not LeafSpy.

arnis said:
My bad then. I read somewhere about overcharge. It might be exactly the opposite.
Yeah, undercharge is the issue with the MY2011/2012s. There may have been some slight improvements starting in MY2013, but indications are there is still room for improvement.
arnis said:
Agreed. The LEAFSpy 12V voltage numbers are very inaccurate. All of my measurements are made using a Fluke 77 multimeter.

arnis said:

Then you shouldn't be giving advice! Someone who hasn't "been around the block" with the Leaf may incorrectly act on it.
I'm amazed at how many 12v threads with 12v problems and 12v solutions there are. The Leaf is a perfect candidate for a (smaller) Lithium 12v battery, but no one wants to spend the extra $$ and solve their battery problem permanently; search for my thread/posts about it if you don't want to worry about a dead 12v battery.

RegGuheert said:
The LEAFSpy 12V voltage numbers are very inaccurate. All of my measurements are made using a Fluke 77 multimeter.
On 2014 they are not inaccurate any more (verified, only a little). And it really charges at 14 something, no problems there.
I'll observe that some more for some time.

Back