Curious why you bought your leaf?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
redleafusa said:
I can't believe more two vehicle households haven't gone electric for one car. It's the future of auto travel and it's available today for a modest price.

Could not agree more! ICE cars are at their worst in urban driving - lowest mileage and highest wear.

joeriv said:
redleafusa said:
I can't believe more two vehicle households haven't gone electric for one car. It's the future of auto travel and it's available today for a modest price.

Could not agree more! ICE cars are at their worst in urban driving - lowest mileage and highest wear.

It's not aggressively marketed..electric cars.

In 20 years, they will be more common than any other type of vehicle as the system to support them will be nationwide. This can't be done with hydrogen or natural gas..only electricity..others are way to expensive.

Til then, this typical thinking must change..people need to wake up and take responsibility for their actions and the planet.

Attachments

• gallery_cartoonsbyjim_Head in the sand.jpg
    gallery_cartoonsbyjim_Head in the sand.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 65
The ultimate problem with electric vehicles will be the fight that their adoption in the marketplace will create for oil companies, the existing marketplace for ICE cars, and the existing infrastructure. Once EVs go more mainstream it will drive oil prices further down as a result. Also you'll see many states invent new ways to tax highways, since existing gas tax rates won't compensate them enough. The EVs biggest competitor will be the impact it has on the marketplace in the decrease of gas prices and thus the affordability of ICE cars. Combine this with the fact that the entire oil industry will take a hit as well, refineries, gas stations, you name it. The reason Hydrogen is being promoted is because it requires a very similar infrastructure to remain in place.

tkdbrusco said:
The reason Hydrogen is being promoted is because it requires a very similar infrastructure to remain in place.

You better believe it. The oleo-garchy wants to keep cracking hydrocarbons for many decades to come. They're not opposed to producing clean fuel, as long as they can keep using dirty fuel as the raw material.

redleafusa said:
Electric plug-in cars are the only modern vehicles that have pushed the envelope of technology in meaningful ways. 124 MPGe is light years ahead of anything with an ICE, including standard hybrids. I haven't used a sound decibel meter in our new 2015 Leaf, but I'm pretty sure it's quieter than all ICE vehicles, including luxury brands. Acceleration blows away comparable ICE vehicles. Minimal maintenance and zero emissions. Other than longer range, or a lower price with the same range, what more could I ask for that's meaningful?

We are proud tree huggers, but practical too. My 1995 Mazda Protege, that I purchased new, still runs fine with 250K miles and still gets 40 MPG on the highway at 65 MPH. I've done my own maintenance over the years and know all the limitations of ICE vehicles, even reliable ones like the Protege. I won't miss the oil changes, throttle plate cleaning, spark plug changes, exhaust part replacements, EGR valves cleaning, etc. ICE cars seems archaic compared to our new electric Leaf...

...I can't believe more two vehicle households haven't gone electric for one car. It's the future of auto travel and it's available today for a modest price.
I agree with all of that. I'm so tired of taking care of my ICE car! I've been thinking of selling it but it is just too hard to rent cars where I live — a huge hassle.

My ultimate solution is the Tesla Model III, if it pans out — we'll see about that. Then I can go to one car, a pure EV, and still easily make thousand mile trips in addition to all the local driving.

dgpcolorado said:
My ultimate solution is the Tesla Model III, if it pans out — we'll see about that. Then I can go to one car, a pure EV, and still easily make thousand mile trips in addition to all the local driving.

So true for so many folks even if they don't realize it yet. Likely a big part of the Tesla over-valuation is that some folks do see how a vehicle such as the Model III will be a game changer. I hope it comes to market soon though as I'm eager for it, but somehow I expect it will be a few years yet.

My Leaf hit 10K miles yesterday. I opened the hood last night just to make sure I wasn't missing anything? It felt strange to not need to do anything to a car besides plug it in and check tire pressure.

19,650 tonight. will be 19,720 by the time I get home. so tomorrow night I will have put 15,000 miles on the car since September 11th.

tkdbrusco said:
My Leaf hit 10K miles yesterday. I opened the hood last night just to make sure I wasn't missing anything? It felt strange to not need to do anything to a car besides plug it in and check tire pressure.
If it makes you feel better, you can check the levels on the lead-acid battery... ;)

Back