Cracked car frame on a Toyota Avalon

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark13

When we bought the Leaf I was thinking of trading in our 2007 Avalon but the salesman only offered 11k for it and he said car fax showed that it was in a accident..So i put the car up forsale and ran a ad on the car and people would come out and drive it and like but first they wanted to do a VIN number check..A couple of days ago I get a call from a guy who says the frame has been cracked and was not interested in it..

We bought the car from a national car dealer with 30k miles on it and never thought about checking out the history of the car..My question is are cracked frames that serios ...The cars drives perfect but I have a feeling we our going to have a hard time selling it and should of traded it in..

Cracked car frames can range a great deal from being minor cracks (e.g. manufacturing problems) that can be fixed by welding to major problems. If the car frame cracked because of an accident (as it appears in your case), it is suggestive that the vehicle may have been in a major accident (not quite salvage title as that's >75% damage but can be extensive).

Guess it's the major reason why people check the VIN for past vehicle history to avoid vehicles that may have needed major repairs. The fact that the car drives well suggests that the repairs were well done, but nonetheless you will have a harder time selling the vehicle as it was in an accident and you were not the sole owner of the vehicle.

Get underneath for a survey or take it to a shop for evaluation. If it is fixed, it is fixed but you need to verify so that you can show any potential buyers that it is no longer an issue. Cracked from an accident and repaired would not bother me. Cracked from wear and tear would imply a defect that I would worry about. Get your own report to discover exactly how it reads and investigate an appeal to change the report if appropriate. Otherwise keep it advertised and make the best deal you can.

evnow said:
Can you edit the title to show this is not about Leaf ?
+1.
Although this is in the "non-leaf discussions" forum, those of us who use the "view active topics" feature or use the search function wouldn't know this isn't about the Leaf until reading it.

I sold the car and took a big hit on the price..Everyone who came out did a VIN check on it and saw where it once had a cracked frame..

I was going to buy either a Prius or Smart car after i sold the Avalon...The Smart car is out because of the bad press it is getting ..MSN did a story on the 10 worst cars made in the last 10 years and the Smart car made it in the the top 10..

Im now looking at a Prius or electric motorcycle ..I owned a Prius from 2005-09 and it was a great car..

Back