Coulomb or ev upgrade

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bernie82

I can get the Coulomb charge station installed through charge point for $200 or go for the 7 hour ev upgrade for $400 + the fitting adapter cost. How about some suggestions.

I have a Blink as part of the EV project but the reasoning is transferable...

-I did not have a 220v outlet so I knew I would need one established regardless of Blink vs EVSE Upgrade.
-I liked the idea of having something more "permanent" in my garage (although in retrospect the Blink unit is HUGE and overly complex since the car has its own timers... but I digress...)
-I liked the idea of carrying around my "emergency" 110v EVSE even though I have only needed to use it in a "I may not make it home" situation once. However, I do use it once a week when I drive to another work office and charge during the day in a 110v outlet.
-Because of the above (peace of mind in carrying it with me) I did not like the idea of having to coil it up on a regular basis and putting it in the car and then taking it out and plugging it in on a regular basis for evening charging. However, that being said I know that most days I could just leave it at home because there's a 95% chance I won't need it for emergencies.
-If you lease you may give modifying the EVSE a second thought (not a concern for me - I bought)
-Of all of my 7,000+ miles to date, I have not once seen a public 220v outlet anywhere, nor have I ever had an opportunity to drive somewhere that had one (I do not "push the envelope" and charge at RV parks)

Obviously YMMV and this is my experience.

I use my evse upgrade exclusively. I have never needed anything else. In the WA area now there are a number of QCs available. If I need a boost I use them. I really do not see carrying around the cord. My two cents. Good luck.

honestly, it seems that the EVSE upgrade is quite reliable and versatile. If I was going to go with one, I'd go with the EVSE upgrade and have a 240 outlet installed. The blink isn't really that much more permanent, it plugs in as well.

Thanks for the info. I do have a 220 outlet at home. As far as finding level 2 charging stations when on the road, every Nissan dealer up here in Northern Ca has them.
The advantage of the upgrade is I could charge at home at level 2 and take the cable with the 110 upgrade fitted with me when I'm on the road. If I were to visit someone that had 220 access in their home I could get a level 2 charge or possibly find a gas station that had a 220 line. My concern about the upgrade is how difficult is it to find the proper connector to hook it up.

You can buy just about every adapter known to man for the EVSE upgrade. As said, if you can swing it, of course both would be ideal.

bernie82 said:
Thanks for the info. I do have a 220 outlet at home. As far as finding level 2 charging stations when on the road, every Nissan dealer up here in Northern Ca has them.
The advantage of the upgrade is I could charge at home at level 2 and take the cable with the 110 upgrade fitted with me when I'm on the road. If I were to visit someone that had 220 access in their home I could get a level 2 charge or possibly find a gas station that had a 220 line. My concern about the upgrade is how difficult is it to find the proper connector to hook it up.

I had an an electrician put a 220v outlet in the garage ($250). I bought an "extra" EVSEupgrade charger and use that as my primary charger and keep the original charger in the car. Now, if I want to push the envelope, I could take along the EVSEupgrade charger and a couple of adapters and use RV parks to charge. If I sell my house, I just leave behind the 220v outlet in the garage and take the EVSEupgrade charger to the next place.

Back