Cost of charging overnight?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky50

Leaf Supporting Member
Seeking advice on what to pay a friend when I charge at her house overnight. I visit her about once a month after a 60 mile drive. Charge overnight to 80% and return home the next day. I have no idea what her electric rate is, etc. My husband says $5-10. Thanks for your input.
Becky

Sadly, most people don't know what their electric rates are, yet pay the bill every month. The answer is right there on the bill...

Where do you live? Electric prices vary widely from region to region. In my area, it's about $0.11/kWh.

A full charge is about 21kWh (useable), but you're only charging to 80%. I believe L1 charging is about 80% efficient. So 21kWh * 80% charge / 80% efficiency = 21kWh that you pull from the wall (if you were charging from turtle, which you're not, so it's less).

21kWh * $0.11/kWh = $2.31 worth of electricity

If your friend has double the rate, it will still be less than $5 to charge. Personally, I would suggest you offer to pay a little more than her rate, for the convenience and to build good will.

I'd say $5-6 is generous enough. You're probably using no more than 12kWh, depending on how much you have left upon arrival (which I'm assuming is probably around 25%). Obviously we don't know what her rates are, but it's almost certainly not going to be in excess of $0.50kWh.

bring a gift. a bottle of wine or two. a case of beer.
a nice steak, if your friend eats meat.
a book a month.
take her to a movie.
making it a monetary exchange monetizes things that should be more friendly and open, i would think.

Electric rates vary so greatly that it's hard to guess. The lowest is under 3 cents per kWh and the highest can be 45 cents or more. That said, assuming you draw 20 kWh (you won't) and she has 50 cent power (she probably doesn't) while you're there, we're talking $10 as a ceiling. But it could be less than $1. I'd say take her out for a nice dinner and pick up the tab.

I'd go for the bottle of wine, or a small gift of some sort.
If you would prefer cash, five bucks is more than enough.

Bill

Back