Consumer Reports says windows down does not effect mpg

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure more energy is consumed with AC and windows up than with no AC and windows down at the speeds I typically drive, but I haven't noticed a clear difference. If it's nice out, windows are down. If it's hot or humid, windows are up and AC is on. I don't fret too much over energy consumption because no matter how inefficient my LEAF is, it's still cheaper to operate than hypermiling my gas car.

I saw the episode of MythBusters where they tested fuel consumption of a boxy American car with the windows up running AC at low, medium, and high speed, and then again with windows down and no AC. The break-even point was about 45 mph, which is about as fast as I would be willing to leave the windows down anyway. On a low-drag vehicle like the Leaf, the break-even point is probably at a lower speed.

In terms of comfort I prefer to have the AC going. It's quieter, more private, and a lot less dust/pollen gets inside the car. And there's the wind-blown hair factor. If I park in the sunlight, I'll open the windows for a minute and blast out the hot air while the AC is getting up to speed.

It would be interesting to see an actual test on a Leaf at 20, 40, and 60 mph.

--John

MaxPower said:
In terms of comfort I prefer to have the AC going. It's quieter, more private, and a lot less dust/pollen gets inside the car....

When you haul around a 155-lb Mastiff, leaving windows open is an opportunity to REDUCE the DHPSI (dog hairs per square inch). :p

Nubo said:
MaxPower said:
In terms of comfort I prefer to have the AC going. It's quieter, more private, and a lot less dust/pollen gets inside the car....

When you haul around a 155-lb Mastiff, leaving windows open is an opportunity to REDUCE the DHPSI (dog hairs per square inch). :p

I bet you get to ingest a few of them as well, reducing the count even further :)

Back