Considering buying a Nissan Leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Young kids are changing fast - courtesy of Tesla - 5 to 1 Leaf ratio up here in DuPage County outside Chicago. My kid and several of his friends are going EV - either Leaf now or Tesla Gen 3 for college - because they don't have to pay for gasoline, free electricity on parents utility bill. Gasoline is now 2.70 up here and did get to $5.50.

To them there is nothing cooler than a Model S P95. A bit out of a younger adults budget if they drive less than 18,000 miles per year. A 4,000 gas bill will bankrupt most kids no matter how much the car payments are. Some young adults will easily put 150 - 200 miles on a car over the weekend alone (8,000-10,000 miles per year on Fri, Sat, and Sunday - especially in big ole Houston) - I know I grew up there and cruising for girls was a way of life).

He is also taking passenger(s) Mon-Fri in the Houston HOV lanes, and I would not ride with him every weekday in a $2,000 crap used car - PERIOD!!

A used certified 2015 Leaf can be leased for $200 per month, the same cost as 1,400 miles per month at 3.50 per gallon and 25 mpg and free electricity from the parents!! NOT TOO WAY COMPLICATED!!

My friend, I think you have forgotten about what having a car at that age is...

- A young person, with low credit will not get a lease.

- A young person will pay through the nose for a lease and insurance to begin with, and especially if it has to have full coverage to get the lease.

- An older, but good car for $2-3K will get him on the road, with least insurance $$$ possible.

- Also, if he has no money for gas that week or month, then he drives little. He pays as he goes, and has total control on expenses.

- Even if he did get the lease, he is on the hook for the $2-300 monthly, and any defaults will affect his future credit.

I have teenage/ college age children and would tell this to them also...

SO - Young people, plan to get an EV when you can clearly afford a 2-3 year monthly payment. And no used Leafs, as you may have to spend $5000 for a new battery before you expect it...

:) Powersurge

Back