Considering a Leaf: concern on 70-74 mile commute round trip

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have driven the same distance - 75 miles - roundtrip for 40K miles (on two Leafs) all on highway and almost all the time I have had the luxury to charge at work at either 120V or at an L2 charging station.

On those occasions when I forgot to charge, I still made it home with reducing the speed a little bit or going through slower back roads. While the summers are generally fine, anything colder than 40F would be quite difficult without charging at work. Anything less than 32F I think you simply cannot make the round trip even when the battery is new.

I called to finalize the test drive plan for today and the sales guy told me that he ran it by his boss and he denied the request.
They don't want to put the miles on the car.
They won't even let me take it a short distance home for the night.
Needless to say, I didn't go to the dealer tonight. UGH. I HATE DEALERS. at least I found out before going.

I've heard all your comments and am still leaning towards getting the leaf. I think I am up to the challenge. If it doesn't work out, my wife can use the leaf to take the kids to school and back and I'll drive the ICE van in the winter. She drives more frequent and shorter trips from home but a good # of miles total. In the meantime, I can work on my employer to let me plug in somewhere.

Thanks to you all for your input. I can't believe some of you went through the effort of checking Chargepoint and stuff to check for stations in my area. What an amazing group!

If the longer trip will only be occasional, I'm inclined to agree with you. Just make sure you have two emergency charging options, not just one. And remember: when running low on range, *just slow down*.

3) the heater is more efficient than the heat pump

Whoever wrote that goofed, unless they mean simple conversion efficiency, which isn't helpful here. The heat pump is much more efficient at heating the car above 14F or so than is the "PTC" (resistance) heater. The S model has only the PTC, while the SV and SL have the heatpump as well, from '13 on.

morrisdw said:
I've heard all your comments and am still leaning towards getting the leaf. I think I am up to the challenge. If it doesn't work out, my wife can use the leaf to take the kids to school and back and I'll drive the ICE van in the winter. She drives more frequent and shorter trips from home but a good # of miles total. In the meantime, I can work on my employer to let me plug in somewhere.

Good luck with the Leaf, 120V at work would make this an easy trip, or even better a 240 outlet with one of several portable EVSE cables.

http://evsolutions.avinc.com/turbocord" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://evseupgrade.com/?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You do want a 240V charging station installed at home. It is just handy, even if you have a 240V portable cable.

Warning: You might not want to let the wife use the Leaf, at least without an agreement as to when she can, or you might well find yourself driving the van each and every day. :)

There have been several people who have reported buying a Leaf for themselves, and finding themselves driving the ICE to and from work each and every day as the wife laid claim to the Leaf. Remember, the only realistic answer to this issue is: "Yes, Dear".

My solution to this problem was to agree in advance that she could drive the Leaf on Thursdays. So this Thursday, like most, I'll be driving her ICE. It's not so bad. I get the other six days of the week. ;) :D

morrisdw said:
I called to finalize the test drive plan for today and the sales guy told me that he ran it by his boss and he denied the request.
They don't want to put the miles on the car.
They won't even let me take it a short distance home for the night.
Needless to say, I didn't go to the dealer tonight. UGH. I HATE DEALERS. at least I found out before going.
Unfortunately, you might have to act as if you are going to walk away and use the silent treatment to get the test drive done. Gut hunch the salesperson or a rep from the dealer will call you within a week. My dealer had the same concern about miles on their new car, especially because I wasn't willing to buy the only LEAF on their lot at the time (Black SL premium). It took an earnest deposit to get it done, with the understanding I was going to pass on the deal if the range was "close enough to require therapy." In either case, in a 2-vehicle household the LEAF will likely work just fine.

Is the SV really worth the extra money? would you do things different if you had a choice?

In your opinion, is the SV really worth an extra $40-60 per month? I could do alot with $700 over 2 years.

(The prices seem so high right now...$369 for SV. 24/12k $309 for S with QC. 279 for S no QC.
Last month it was $30.00 cheaper. no vpp)

morrisdw said:
Is the SV really worth the extra money?

The resistance-style heater of the Leaf S will pretty much make it impossible to make that occasional 70-75 mile drive in winter unless you want to rely on just the seat/steering wheel heaters, and a good amount of winter clothing, alone. If it's really cold, that heater could well use up the entire battery just driving one way at freeway speeds.

The SV and SL models come with a heat-pump-style heater which is far more efficient down to near-zero temps F.

RonDawg said:
morrisdw said:
Is the SV really worth the extra money?

The resistance-style heater of the Leaf S will pretty much make it impossible to make that occasional 70-75 mile drive in winter unless you want to rely on just the seat/steering wheel heaters, and a good amount of winter clothing, alone. If it's really cold, that heater could well use up the entire battery just driving one way at freeway speeds.

The SV and SL models come with a heat-pump-style heater which is far more efficient down to near-zero temps F.
And...you will want the 6.6kW charger of the SV and possibly the QC port. This significantly increases the usability of the car by cutting the L2 recharging time in half. This will be important if pushing the range or recharging inside a limited time window. The extra dashboard electronics in the SV help to first understand the energy usage, but likely becomes dispensable after learning how the car works.

The option no one has mentioned is making a 220V charger out of your OEM charger, or buying one like I did, and then using two 110V circuits at work and that adapter box someone is selling to make your own fast charger. 3.3Kw will have you full easily at work.

The only sticking point is finding two circuits fairly close together really.

I say 110V at work would be fine.

I also recommend a heated seat pad if you don't get that option for winter. I have a 2011 (SL) but I have the QC port, 110V, and 220V options so it's not an issue for range for me.

I got this one, hopefully it will be back in stock soon: http://rcbullock.blogspot.com/2014/01/nissan-leaf-range-increase-add-heated.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These work surprisingly well.

You might consider a cheap 2011 with QC if there is a QC anywhere you can use in a pinch since the prices have come down so much. I got an 8100 mile 2 bar loss for $16,000 with all options but the heated seats.

Of note: I use a Walgreens occasionally but stay just long enough to buy a thing or two and use the bathroom and by that point I have all I need in 10 minutes or so. My plan is $10 per charge because I don't use it often. I'm not sticking around another 20 minutes for $1.50 in electricity. :)

RonDawg said:
... If it's really cold, that heater could well use up the entire battery just driving one way at freeway speeds.
Most of the people telling the OP this will work have fairly new LEAF and have not driven in cold weather. The test drive is not helpful. Will just give false sense of confidence for something that will not work well in year 2 and 3.

70 to 74 miles is probably extreme for 2015 LEAF in the 3 plus years long term. Hard to know for sure as we have no idea how slower the capacity degradation will be with the more heat tolerant chemistry.

But the 2011 / 2012 LEAF is a 40 to 60 mile vehicle, 30 to 35 miles in very cold weather if you like heat under normal speeds.

The OP does have the advantage that the wife's driving pattern appears more appropriate for use of the LEAF. Unless the OP can get workplace charging probably best for the wife to be driving the LEAF.

beachfitrob said:
I also recommend a heated seat pad if you don't get that option for winter. I have a 2011 (SL) but I have the QC port, 110V, and 220V options so it's not an issue for range for me.

Heated seats/steering wheel have been standard equipment (at least for North American Leafs) since MY 2012.

TimLee said:
The OP does have the advantage that the wife's driving pattern appears more appropriate for use of the LEAF. Unless the OP can get workplace charging probably best for the wife to be driving the LEAF.

I agree. Having her use the Leaf is also friendlier to the environment, as her driving patterns might not get an ICEV fully warmed, which is not only less efficient but also more polluting than someone driving around with an engine that reaches optimum operating temperature.

We leased a 2011 with 73 mile range and now have a lease on a 2014 with 84 mile range. The 84 mile range is very doable if you drive in ECO and "B" brake mode. However, with much accessory use and any battery degradation you may not make it without some sort of charge at your destination. I'd wait until the 2016's or 2017's are offered with an estimated range of 135 miles/charge.

RonDawg said:
Heated seats/steering wheel have been standard equipment (at least for North American Leafs) since MY 2012.
heated seats yes, I don't recall having ever noticing the button to turn on the heated steering wheel in my 2013 SV

apvbguy said:
RonDawg said:
heated seats yes, I don't recall having ever noticing the button to turn on the heated steering wheel in my 2013 SV
It's on the left side of the dash. See your quick reference guide and/or manual. Unfortunately, on the '13, it's not in a good spot and its on/off indicator light is blocked by the steering wheel when sitting in a normal position.

ERG4ALL said:
We leased a 2011 with 73 mile range and now have a lease on a 2014 with 84 mile range. The 84 mile range is very doable if you drive in ECO and "B" brake mode. However, with much accessory use and any battery degradation you may not make it without some sort of charge at your destination.
To be clear, those values are on the EPA range tests.

But yes, those 84 miles or whatever on that '14 will effectively be noticeably less after a few years of degradation.

Back