Confusing full charge miles

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanshaloo

I have not been able to charge my 2012 leaf beyond 73 miles of range using 120V trickle charge. If original leaf had 106 Miles of charge, this means batteries have degraded over 31%. Battery capacity meter/leafspy does not say so. (leafspy says 77% SOH).

Anyone knows why is these discrepancy exist ?

Question 2:

On a full charge I loose 3-4 miles after driving .25 miles starting from home, whereas after a couple of days of full charge it's more stable. Why is the behavior so different on GOM.

Thanks

The DTE aka GOM is exactly that a guess.

Why experienced users don't look at it much.

Why are you looking at it and trying to understand its numbers :?:

It can drive anyone nuts :|

sanshaloo said:
On a full charge I loose 3-4 miles after driving .25 miles starting from home, whereas after a couple of days of full charge it's more stable. Why is the behavior so different on GOM.

I can tell you why this is. It has to do with the speed that you drive. For whatever reason when you first start the car it expects you to not drive over around 25mph or so. The instant you exceed 25'ish it recalculates. Then as you go faster and faster it keeps on recalculating. Once the computer calculates based on speed it is VERY hesitant to go back. Even if you speed for just a moment it will assume you are going to keep driving fast.

As others have stated you are going to drive yourself CRAZY trying to figure out that meter.

sanshaloo said:
I have not been able to charge my 2012 leaf beyond 73 miles of range using 120V trickle charge. If original leaf had 106 Miles of charge, this means batteries have degraded over 31%.

This varies based on the outside temperature. It varies depending on how it was last driven. It varies depending on the climate control settings. It is also moody and I'm sure varies based on other sensor readings.

The GOM issue a guide only. Your real milage varies on speed, temperature, wind speed, climate control, use of cruise control.
I do a number of specific drives each week, which i drive in a consistant manner, mainly speed, cruise control use and climate control. When i begin, the SOC is 100% (for my longer drives) and the GOM varies from 74 to 101 miles, (depending on temperature and previous drive behavior) What I have found is at the end of these drives, if they are typical of my experience, then the SOC is about the same each time,+/- 5%.

Trust your experience, and not GOM

What I have found is at the end of these drives, if they are typical of my experience, then the SOC is about the same each time,+/- 5%.

Yes, the GOM range slowly converges with the actual available range. Right when you don't need it anymore, at the trip's end, it gets it right. ;-)

Back